Your weight X 11 = your total daily calories

Options
I heard on the John Tesh radio show that the best way to figure out how many calories to consume per day is based on this formula. You will need to alter it as you gain or lose any weight. It is a simple formula that makes sense. Hope this helps some people out. I found that when I let the computer decide for me, I was not getting enough and I was still hungry. So I am sticking with this formula from now on.

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    That would be almost 2000 calories for me and I am fairly sure I would not lose weight eating that much. Now taking my GOAL weight and multiplying that by 11, I come up with a much more reasonable number.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    That number is to MAINTAIN your weight. You still have to create a deficit of your choice to LOSE weight.
  • nerich8085
    nerich8085 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I tried that and that formula is more calories than my body will even burn in it's restful state, which ur supposed to eat less than that....If one over eats for a while, once you start eating right ur supposed to be hungrier than ur use to...
  • SandyEdge
    SandyEdge Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Are you talking pounds or kilograms ???
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Same. My goal x 11 is 1650, which is what my calorie goal is now (just changed it so not sure how it'll work for me yet, but here's to hoping!) but my weight x 11 is nearly 2000.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    That tells me to eat 1199.

lol no way.

I eat 1600-2000.

It's way too vague and general. That's basically your calories if you were in a coma.
    I need to eat my weight times 15 on a lazy day and times 20 on a busy day.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    This doesn't factor in age or lifestyle. It might serve as a rudimentary guide, but would lead many people to overeat.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    According to that I should be consuming under 1600 calories - which I know is WAY too low for me. I have to be in the 2200-2500 (net) calorie range. :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Way too low for me. This seems nonsensical.
  • Olive101109
    Options
    I tried that and that formula is more calories than my body will even burn in it's restful state, which ur supposed to eat less than that....If one over eats for a while, once you start eating right ur supposed to be hungrier than ur use to...

Yup!! That's true!!!! :-) And it also doesn't take into account your activity level.
  • robin52077
    Options
    This doesn't factor in age or lifestyle. It might serve as a rudimentary guide, but would lead many people to overeat.

or undereat... like by HALF!
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    That number is to MAINTAIN your weight. You still have to create a deficit of your choice to LOSE weight.

Yep - You are correct. If you times your weight by 11, you'll only maintain. And I actually heard it was times your ideal weight by ten - that's how many calories you should eat - and once you hit that weight...that's how many you continue to eat. Simple and makes sense.
  • CharlieOverby
    CharlieOverby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I heard on the John Tesh radio show that the best way to figure out how many calories to consume per day is based on this formula. You will need to alter it as you gain or lose any weight. It is a simple formula that makes sense. Hope this helps some people out. I found that when I let the computer decide for me, I was not getting enough and I was still hungry. So I am sticking with this formula from now on.
    I use 10 instead of 11. Multiply the weight that you want to weigh ( not your present weight) x 10. If you want to weigh 140 lbs, multiply 140x10= 1400 calories a day. This works.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    That is barely my BMR. It would be really unhealthy for me to eat that low of an amount.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    John Tesh is American, so avoirdupois pounds. :)
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    If true, I'd be a walking stick
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Way too low for me. This seems nonsensical.

Can't be nonsensical, it's math.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

or undereat... like by HALF!

Yeah, by that formula it would have me eat 1078, I would waste away in to a pile of bones. Sorry OP not to be mean at all but I don't agree with the John Tesh formula. :smile:
  • robin52077
    Options

Yep - You are correct. If you times your weight by 11, you'll only maintain. And I actually heard it was times your ideal weight by ten - that's how many calories you should eat - and once you hit that weight...that's how many you continue to eat. Simple and makes sense.

NO , if I ate my weight times 11 I would starve to death. I have to almost double it to maintain.

This is REALLY REALLY too vague and I don't want a new person to see this and think it is correct.

PLEASE, if you are trying to figure out what to eat, don't use this formula.
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    So I should eat 1925 in calories. WOW! That's alot more than MFP allows me. Now if I were to multiply my current weight x 11 it would be.... 2695 calories. I would not lose any weight at that.