Help with exercise and being in a deficient?

Options
1500 cal a day is my goal! my food for today is 1610 my exercise so far is 701 with 591 cal left so does that mean I am in a deficient and if I do this everyday I can lose weight?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    1500 cal a day is my goal! my food for today is 1610 my exercise so far is 701 with 591 cal left so does that mean I am in a deficient and if I do this everyday I can lose weight?

If you selected to lose weight when you went through the guided set-up then the 1500 calorie goal includes your deficit. If you leave 591 uneaten you have increased your deficit by that much and may lose weight in an unhealthy way.

The exercise estimate though may not be right. Generally speaking people suggest that you start by eating back half of the exercise calories. In other words you need to eat about 240 more calories today to lose at the correct pace you selected.

To really make sure you are logging accurately and in a deficit I suggest you read these threads:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Sunflowerinbloom Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Well I messed up when I started mfp it gave me more calories than my doctor so I changed it back to 1500 so I need to go back and change it
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Well I messed up when I started mfp it gave me more calories than my doctor so I changed it back to 1500 so I need to go back and change it

I would stick with what MFP has given you for now. Doctors are not well trained in nutrition and weight loss generally and he may have just assigned you a number instead of doing the actual math. What you need is consistency so you can determine if you are losing weight at the appropriate pace in a few weeks.