Trying to lose 30 pounds...tips?

Options
So I’m a mom of 3. Had my baby 3 months ago, only recently cleared to workout. Also breastfeeding.

I’m 10 pounds to my pre pregnancy weight buuut I wanna lose another 20.

52j2arnx98vx.jpeg

I’m working out 6 days a week — walking roughly twice a week. I don’t drink any caffeine anymore due to my resting HR being so high randomly.

I do unfortunately have to sit a lot due to breastfeeding

Trying to eat as clean as I can. What else can I do!?! Plus tips for snacks !?

Replies

• livelovenlaughh13
    livelovenlaughh13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I have time to weigh everything but I’ll track it.

So I should start at a pound a week??

And thank you:-)
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Congratulations on your newest arrival! :)

Check out this thread for tips on making weighing and logging your intake easier:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498882/weighing-food-takes-too-long-and-is-obsessive/p1

Also, I know this is only a random stranger's opinion but I think you look pretty good at your current size (although obviously I don't know what your BMI is or what you consider a "normal" weight for you). You might want to consider some of the advice in these threads, if it's your shape you're less happy with:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

EDIT:

Also check out this awesome thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

As you get closer to goal and even with only 30lbs to go, you will eventually struggle to lose weight if you're not precise. The less you have to lose, the less room for error you have. A lot of your veggies and some fruit though are so low cal you can get away without weighing them. It does get easier though, I use it whenever I fix myself something to eat. I mean it only takes a few extra seconds for example if you fix yourself a sandwich, to build it on a plate on the scale and weigh each ingredient you add as you go. Sometimes I'll write it down on a notepad to put into MFP later. Meal planning/prepping can also help, portions can be pre-weighed and then you don't have to worry about the food scale when you actually go to eat. I can see it being tricky with a new baby but maybe some other moms might stop by and share some things that helped them out. I'm all about finding those things that make staying on track easier.

And yes, you can manage a pound a week for the next ten or fifteen lbs. After that drop it.
  • livelovenlaughh13
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Congratulations on your newest arrival! :)

Check out this thread for tips on making weighing and logging your intake easier:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498882/weighing-food-takes-too-long-and-is-obsessive/p1

Also, I know this is only a random stranger's opinion but I think you look pretty good at your current size (although obviously I don't know what your BMI is or what you consider a "normal" weight for you). You might want to consider some of the advice in these threads, if it's your shape you're less happy with:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

EDIT:

Also check out this awesome thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Thank you!:)

I will definitely be reading those threads/information.

And thank you — perhaps it’s just a flattering angle or something. So, I definitely have love handles & my hips are wider right now etc. (though I had a c section)

My BMI is like 29!! 😩🤕 so awful. I’m 5’2 and my weight is 160. Sooo crazy sometimes I don’t feel like it but yeah. I wanna lose weight in my thighs and my stomach and tone too.

I attached a less flattering photo.
  • livelovenlaughh13
    Options

As you get closer to goal and even with only 30lbs to go, you will eventually struggle to lose weight if you're not precise. The less you have to lose, the less room for error you have. A lot of your veggies and some fruit though are so low cal you can get away without weighing them. It does get easier though, I use it whenever I fix myself something to eat. I mean it only takes a few extra seconds for example if you fix yourself a sandwich, to build it on a plate on the scale and weigh each ingredient you add as you go. Sometimes I'll write it down on a notepad to put into MFP later. Meal planning/prepping can also help, portions can be pre-weighed and then you don't have to worry about the food scale when you actually go to eat. I can see it being tricky with a new baby but maybe some other moms might stop by and share some things that helped them out. I'm all about finding those things that make staying on track easier.

And yes, you can manage a pound a week for the next ten or fifteen lbs. After that drop it.

Hmm good advice. I will be def looking into it then.

My struggle is snacking. I think I like to eat with large volume I’ve noticed. But I’m always hungry !! Lol.

Right now I’ve been eating a lot of spinach and chicken
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    Options

My struggle is snacking. I think I like to eat with large volume I’ve noticed. But I’m always hungry !! Lol.

Veggies are great for a large volume/low cal snack, paired with either a low-cal dressing or dip. There are other low-cal snacks (big fan of Crispy Minis myself). You might also want to play around with your macros; I found when I keep my protein at least 60-80g the urge to snack goes down. I'm a big forager otherwise.
  • livelovenlaughh13
    Options

Veggies are great for a large volume/low cal snack, paired with either a low-cal dressing or dip. There are other low-cal snacks (big fan of Crispy Minis myself). You might also want to play around with your macros; I found when I keep my protein at least 60-80g the urge to snack goes down. I'm a big forager otherwise.

Not a huge dip fan but I do like
    Hummus!

I was thinking that too. To make sure my protein stays there. Like for breakfast I do eggs & oatmeal w/fruit and it really helps my blood sugar. If I don’t eat often I get shaky as heck
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    Options

Not a huge dip fan but I do like
    Hummus!

I was thinking that too. To make sure my protein stays there. Like for breakfast I do eggs & oatmeal w/fruit and it really helps my blood sugar. If I don’t eat often I get shaky as heck

Hummus is great too! I switched to it a few times because it was lower cal than the dip I used, but had to pace myself. Too much was hard on my digestive system, but it's delicious. Just remember that while it's important to be in a deficit, it's also important to properly fuel yourself - especially since you're breastfeeding. Also give yourself about 4-6 weeks of accurate tracking to see how you're doing. That gives you enough time to really get an idea of how you're doing, whether you're losing as expected or not.
  • livelovenlaughh13
    Options
    Yeah that’s my main reason for needing to track I wanna make sure I’m doing enough not too much etc

I just started working out in the last week. How long do you work yourself up for beginners before entering a program? I’m wanting to do the 30 day shred. I’ve done it before and always get good results if I follow it good. But I know my body’s out of shape / weak: wondering if I should wait a few weeks
  • livelovenlaughh13
    Options
    When I say beginner it’s just been awhile since I worked out.

I for years was big into working out at home and always achieved what I wanted by just working out at home. Buuuut I did leave a relationship and had no time but I was a house cleaner which caused me to lose weight because it’s so active. So I’m not like completely beginner lol
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

Thank you!:)

I will definitely be reading those threads/information.

And thank you — perhaps it’s just a flattering angle or something. So, I definitely have love handles & my hips are wider right now etc. (though I had a c section)

My BMI is like 29!! 😩🤕 so awful. I’m 5’2 and my weight is 160. Sooo crazy sometimes I don’t feel like it but yeah. I wanna lose weight in my thighs and my stomach and tone too.

I attached a less flattering photo.

Fair enough! But do take it easy - you did just recently grow and deliver a new human, after all, so don't be too hard on yourself either mentally or physically. :)

I'm hypoglycemic too - low blood sugar, get shaky if I don't eat regularly - so I can't skip breakfast, which is often a handy way for people to save a few calories for later in the day. If you feel that way too, then maybe try to estimate a calorie split for your meals so that you can also have some healthy snacks and not have to go too long without eating.

Don't forget that you should be able to eat back at least half of your exercise calories too (if not more... do some experimenting over time to see how accurate you think your calorie burns are, and adjust the percentage if needed.)

@MichelleSilverleaf has plenty of good advice for you. :)