No cook backpacking food?

Options
2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Are you doing that hike you were asking about last week?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Everything mentioned here, but I also like to take regular (not dehydrated) fruit like apples, oranges, pears, tangerines, etc. They provide extra hydration.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    When we aren't using a stove we like to cold soak. Use a container with a screw on lid, we use old Talenti jars, add easily rehydratable foods like ramen, instant mashed potatoes, stuffing or couscous, fill jar with any temperature water and wait an hour, usually while hiking. We also like to cold soak oatmeal for the next morning.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions? I'm planning to spend tomorrow night on the trail. I'd like to bring an SLR and a tripod, and I'm trying a smaller pack then I'm used to. So I'd like to keep weight and bulk to a minimum.

Any suggestions? I don't eat meat.

For long hikes or overnight camps, my usuals are (i) Trail-mix and (ii) MREs.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Are you doing that hike you were asking about last week?

Forbidden? I've been giving it a lot of thought, and it's going to be next summer.

I volunteer with PCTA (Pacific Crest Trail Association). There's a 5 mile section that I'm responsible for, I need to go do some brush clearing, and document issues that need maintenance so they can plan. The road to Harts Pass (outside Mazama WA) opened recently, so I'm going to go do my stuff, and spend a night with the stars.

I've always loved that part of the trail, and this gives me an excuse to see it twice a year. A good friend called it the best decision of a lifetime.

Hart's Pass Road...for a Midwestern flatlander like me, that was an hour-long panic attack. But worth it for the Grasshopper Pass trail, which ranks as one of the best I've ever hiked.

People are suggesting sandwiches....but the bread tends to squish. Use a tortilla, spread peanut butter on it, and roll it up. It's simple, but tastes amazing after a long hike.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone else knows that road!

I did Dead Horse Point (the narrow part with the cliffs and no guard rail) up to the top on a gravel road bike a couple years ago.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Cheese ravioli in a pop top can:-)
  • kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    Tortillas for sandwiches. Cheddar or other hard cheese. Peanut butter. Trail mix.
    You could mix oatmeal with powdered milk & dried fruit & nuts and just add water to get a muesli-like deal.
    Never thought of cold soaking ramen and instant potatotes! That's cool!
    I think you can also get powdered hummous....That would be good (rehydrated) on a tortilla.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is a package of bagels and small jar of peanut butter. Lots of protein, carbs, and fat without much weight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Even though I don’t usually hike that area, thank you for the trail maintenance.
  • Milocmolly
    Milocmolly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    See if you can find an MRE at a military supply store. The newer ones aren’t too bad, plus they have warming items already in them so you can an heat up your food.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    A bit off topic, but I am looking forward to nice pictures from your hike... :smiley:
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options
    I'm glad someone else knows that road!

I did Dead Horse Point (the narrow part with the cliffs and no guard rail) up to the top on a gravel road bike a couple years ago.

Wow, that sounds like a challenging ride...but I'm imagining it as less scary than being in a car. I've driven it twice, and was terrified of encountering another car on Dead Horse Point.

I love the area around Mazama and want to go back, but we've been hesitant to book it due to wildfires in that area in recent years.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    John Muir said a man (or woman) can survive on bread and tea.
    But, jeez, who wants to be so austere!!!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I need to give everyone an update.

I spent the day doing trail maintenance, but got stormed off the mountain and camped down below in the river valley instead. Which I regretted almost instantly. Forecast changed when I left, a friend texted me a warning about thunder storms, it was 45F when I arrived, and hailed for hours. I didn't want to be in an exposed high camp in a storm, relying on down to keep me warm. I wimped out. The sky cleared up when I was nearing the end of the hike.

I took a lot of the food advice people gave me, and it worked very well. I don't think I saved weight or space, but my god it was better than Mountain House kind of meals!

Big thank you to everyone who contributed their advice!!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Even though I don’t usually hike that area, thank you for the trail maintenance.

Perhaps one day you'll hike out there. If I knew a person would only ever do two hikes in their entire life, I'd urge them to make this section of the PCT one of them. I'll share pictures when they're ready to help everyone see why.

In "Trail Skills College," they taught us to cut or pull out (get the roots too) any sapling growing immediately near the trail. They told us it'll have to go eventually, get it now before it gets big and becomes a felling operation. Or one day the trail will have to be rerouted which will take yesterday and hundreds of thousands of dollars for all the paperwork.

I killed a lot of saplings, and felt bad each and every time. There were several larches (aka tamaracks) I was supposed to cut, but I won't.
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options
    I need to give everyone an update.

I spent the day doing trail maintenance, but got stormed off the mountain and camped down below in the river valley instead. Which I regretted almost instantly. Forecast changed when I left, a friend texted me a warning about thunder storms, it was 45F when I arrived, and hailed for hours. I didn't want to be in an exposed high camp in a storm, relying on down to keep me warm. I wimped out. The sky cleared up when I was nearing the end of the hike.

I took a lot of the food advice people gave me, and it worked very well. I don't think I saved weight or space, but my god it was better than Mountain House kind of meals!

Big thank you to everyone who contributed their advice!!

You didn't wimp out...you followed your instincts to keep yourself safe. People get themselves into big trouble because they ignore their instincts.

I'm sorry it didn't work out the way you would have liked, but at least you got home safely.