Jiu Jitsu Lovers

Options

Replies

• suzanne6094
    suzanne6094 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Purple belt - been off the mats for about 4 months for shoulder reconstruction; probably another 4 months or so until I can get back on the mats. The absence is kilillllllliiing me!

Oss, respect for that Purple Belt, know you must have worked hard to achieve that , Can just imagine, just been sick for a week and bit and could not survive the absence of not being on the mat, I am trying my best not to injure myself but these things happen. I really enjoy assisting with the kids.

Found The Ultimate Fighter reality series and started with season 1 and 12, its amazing LOVE it and the grappling is really good, got me all fired up to train more and really work on mental toughness.

Sorry about your injuries but just know Jits is about the journey not the destination and you will be back again!

100% agree about the journey. I’ve been doing it long enough that it’s part of who I am now and I will definitely be back on the mats. JJ is my social time, the little bit of exercise I get (not nearly enough...), “guy time”, fuels my competiveness, etc.

Love TUF and MMA. Funny story - to me at least. I’m still a relative newbie at my current gym - which has two UFC fighters (actual, contracted fighters) and many aspiring, local MMA fighters. Probably my first week there and rolling, I matched up with one (who was a brown belt at the time) and didn’t know who he was. The instant he got a grip on my gi, I “knew” this is not a “normal” brown belt. Very humbling (in a good way). After the fact, I learned who he was/what he did for a living. He’s a great dude, fantastic teacher, and is now a black belt. Those guys/gals are on a whole different level.

That's so awesome!!! I have recently found The Ultimate Fighter (series) now making my way through the 24 seasons HA HA, really enjoy getting to know all the old and new blood of UFC and also listening to the training tips etc, some really good grappling, Those guys / girls are in a leak of their own.

I really struggle with nutrition, its the hardest part for me
  • suzanne6094
    Options
    My gym offers bjj, mma, muay Thai, and weapons. I tried bjj but have space issues so stick to muay Thai and get my partner to teach me bjj (he's blue belt). I'd love to get into mma fighting but focusing on the Muay Thai. Bjj is great self defense that's why I get my partner to teach me it. My daughter (5) has started kids classes which is a kid friendly mma.

Oss, you look great, must be so awesome to have a partner that also trains MMA, my husband does powerlifting but its not the same would love to be able to grapple at home.... I had huge space issues when I started but know that if someone is going to attack me would be a guy so best I get use to being comfortable in uncomfortable positions, well done on his blue belt, that is my next step.

Muay Thai is tough!! Keep grinding and thanks for the message

I was fine for a few classes of bjj until I got paired with a guy that I didn't trust not to put on locks too fast (I. E not give me time to tap) and he also stunk of weed (hate that smell). But I'm not one to insult people by being picky about partners.
    It's great having my partner into the sport too we can spar etc. Only downside is sharing gym time. We both can't train for fights at same time so have to take turns as we do not want to neglect the kids lol.

Yes, I have also had that problem with a new white belt that joined our gym, he was more than double my size and just smashed me, no control. BUT afterwards I learned that as in BJJ its your responsibility to speak up (our voices are our most powerful weapon) so now I just speak my mind and pick my partners accordingly. But very lucky that my coaches are very protective of me and the guys are very respectful. It is tough as I am the only female so far at my dojo and mostly train with guys 15 to 35 kg heavier than me, but it forces me to focus on technique.

I roll about 3 times a week now and it really does take its toll, Shew as you would know, being a mother of 2 girls under the age of 7 can be very exhausting, but I am very proud of myself for finding such a passion after the age of 40 and kids and just going for it, its so empowering.

Love assisting with the kids and would love to assist with my coach one day an all female class.

My husband enjoys powerlifting and training late in the evenings, so that also works well for us.
  • suzanne6094
    Options
    My biggest hurdle is still nutrition, I use to drink caffeine before training in the evening but it effects my sleep, so trying to train without it now and just drink a whey shake before and eat a banana.

Whats your tips ?
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My biggest hurdle is still nutrition, I use to drink caffeine before training in the evening but it effects my sleep, so trying to train without it now and just drink a whey shake before and eat a banana.

Whats your tips ?

I kicked the caffeine B4 getting pregnant with latest baby and its been great. If I have a coffee now in the morning I'd be awake all day. I use vitaplan (meal replacement) as my pick me up as its protein and carbs, actually had it for dinner last night cos I was low on calories.
  • Tatami_Matt_1
    Tatami_Matt_1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Whats your tips ?

Nutrition is my biggest challenge as well - particularly a) portion control and b) “bored/tired/stressed” eating. What I’m trying to do is Food Prep (right stuff, right amounts). So far it’s working for me - but weekends are the hardest for me (not “stealing” from the kids “lickies & chewies,” etc.,)
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't, but my SO has a blog about his love of the sport and being over 50! Rolling Older -- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at 50+
  • Tatami_Matt_1
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    I don't, but my SO has a blog about his love of the sport and being over 50! Rolling Older -- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at 50+

Thanks for sharing! I’m not in the 10P lineage, but I’ve got a few buddies that are and I really like training with them (particularly the warm-up/drilling methodology and innovative approach to a lot of techniques - a different lens through which to view JJ).

The 10P naming convention does make me chuckle - but I just enjoy the etymology from my lineage: which is kinda loose. Some stuff with the proper Japanese names (which I find beautiful once I learn the translation), some stuff is Portuguese (which has similar allegorical/methaphorical meanings), some stuff named for physical representation, and some stuff, “ yet another variation of XXXXX, lets just give it a #...
  • suzanne6094
    Options

Whats your tips ?

I kicked the caffeine B4 getting pregnant with latest baby and its been great. If I have a coffee now in the morning I'd be awake all day. I use vitaplan (meal replacement) as my pick me up as its protein and carbs, actually had it for dinner last night cos I was low on calories.

Hi, that is amazing! I only have one cup of tea in the morning, more milk than anything but then try to substitute with green tea and honey during the day and water, I am often very dehydrated and trying to up my sodium in take, I am bad in logging my calories, but know not consuming enough.

Its the first time , in a long time, that I have found a passion so addictive I really want to correct my nutrition and everything else that effects my training in a negative way.

I do have vegan powder and whey shakes in the house (hubby power lift) but I don't always know when to consume them. Do you use it when you are low in calories for the day?

So awesome that we can do this after 2 kids ! We totally rock!

• suzanne6094
    Options

Whats your tips ?

Nutrition is my biggest challenge as well - particularly a) portion control and b) “bored/tired/stressed” eating. What I’m trying to do is Food Prep (right stuff, right amounts). So far it’s working for me - but weekends are the hardest for me (not “stealing” from the kids “lickies & chewies,” etc.,)

My problem is I am small frame and don't pick up weight easily, consuming enough calories is such a mission cause it feels I have to eat the whole day.

LOL trying not to attack the kids Jelly Beans are a serious problem :D

How many kids on your side?

Tired/Stress eating is a huge problem, grab what you can get, but meal planning is the answer! I now make sure there is enough healthy nutritional food in the house and try to limit junk , if its not around, one can't consume it.

• suzanne6094
    edited June 2019
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »

Nice to get to read about someone who trains at 10P, its such a well known Bjj name, Kudo's to your husband and will def be reading his blog!

This is a good idea maybe I should also be journalling about my BJJ experience, that way can see what improves my training and focus.

My academy is a small one but I love that, Respect, Integrity and Unity, its called Resilience Jiu Jitsu

[edited by MFP mods]

We just knocked out a wall to join the one studio to the other one next to it , which going to give us much more mat space... SO EXCITED..

• Tatami_Matt_1
    Options

Whats your tips ?

My problem is I am small frame and don't pick up weight easily, consuming enough calories is such a mission cause it feels I have to eat the whole day.

LOL trying not to attack the kids Jelly Beans are a serious problem :D

How many kids on your side?

Tired/Stress eating is a huge problem, grab what you can get, but meal planning is the answer! I now make sure there is enough healthy nutritional food in the house and try to limit junk , if its not around, one can't consume it.

Have two teenage boys - who are eating anything and everything 24/7
  • suzanne6094
    Options
    [/quote]

Have two teenage boys - who are eating anything and everything 24/7[/quote]

:D

Teenage Boys, that BJJ might come in handy

• Tatami_Matt_1
    Options
    [quote

:D

Teenage Boys, that BJJ might come in handy

[/quote]

Unfortunately neither one fell in love with JJ like me and have moved on to other sports. However, it did serve them pretty well growing up - both had a couple of “normal boyhood ‘scraps’” (not what I would really call a fight) and handled them well and came out unscathed (even “victorious”). JJ really did make a difference for son #2 in a bullying situation (after about six months - “Dad, I don’t get why you make me take JJ...no one bullies me any more.” “ Yeah, Son - why do you think that is? “ Changed the whole way he walked, carried himself, posture - everything!

But on the the joking note you may have intended - yeah, when Son#1 gets a little too full of himself and tries to “bow up” on the Old Man, he gets to go for a knee ride (knee on belly) just to see that the Old Man still has it :)
  • suzanne6094
    Options
    Your sons old man is a Warrior! I have never been so empowered, I can relate to the walking a little taller and with confidence, its great to also share the journey with my daughter now 7 - the other one already tackle the giant (take down) but she is only 4 in November and will be able to start then. They both enjoy it and it gives me great satisfaction to know they are learning a skill that can really help them one day in life.

My aim really is to keep assisting in the kids classes and maybe some day open an all female class, at the moment there are a lot of females who would like to try the sport but they are too intimidated training with males.

For me its like full circle, I use to go wrestle with my brother when he was 9 and I was 7 but they phoned my dad and said I must Judo as girls aren't allowed to wrestle, but my dad (old school) said I am going to dance not do combat sport.... I then followed a passion for dancing but always felt I missed out.

Now at the tender age of 41 I am ready to choke and kimura around every corner.

• Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Purple Belt - training almost 7 years. BJJ is what kicked off my commitment to fitness. Traditional gyms have always bores me. Found BJJ and with the lifestyle changes surrounding it, I dropped 100lbs.

I have been more focused on MMA and striking the last 1.5 years. Made my MMA debut last year at age 43 in front of 500 people in a local showI. I won in the second round via Scarf hold/Kesa. I got co-submission of the night and was thrilled. was supposed to be one and done, and then back to focusing on my BJJ. However I have the itch to do one or two more fights, so I am still focusing on MMA training. However, BJJ will always be my first love.

I love all these posts. I can feel the BJJ love and see members of “my tribe.” I was posting in the “fighting fit” group for awhile -which is s great bunch of people, but it is tapered off regardling activety. I feel as if too many arts has something to do with it. Maybe we should do a BJJ group? I would be happy to start it.
  • suzanne6094
    Options
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »
    Purple Belt - training almost 7 years. BJJ is what kicked off my commitment to fitness. Traditional gyms have always bores me. Found BJJ and with the lifestyle changes surrounding it, I dropped 100lbs.

I have been more focused on MMA and striking the last 1.5 years. Made my MMA debut last year at age 43 in front of 500 people in a local showI. I won in the second round via Scarf hold/Kesa. I got co-submission of the night and was thrilled. was supposed to be one and done, and then back to focusing on my BJJ. However I have the itch to do one or two more fights, so I am still focusing on MMA training. However, BJJ will always be my first love.

I love all these posts. I can feel the BJJ love and see members of “my tribe.” I was posting in the “fighting fit” group for awhile -which is s great bunch of people, but it is tapered off regardling activety. I feel as if too many arts has something to do with it. Maybe we should do a BJJ group? I would be happy to start it.

This is amazing!!! Thanks for the inspiration, Congratulations on that Purple Belt , know the work that goes into that, We have just been focusing on the Scarf hold/Kesa escapes :)

I am 41 now, would love to also add some striking to my routine but at the moment the BJJ is taking a lot out of me, fighting mainly men much bigger than myself. Thinking of competing at the end of the year.

I tried to start a bjj group but don't know my way around MFP so well, maybe you can help me out and start one.

We just renovated our dojo and made the mat space twice the size, so excited to go ROLL tonight!

Working on kimura arm bars and chokes... back take...

Have an awesome day !
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »

This is amazing!!! Thanks for the inspiration, Congratulations on that Purple Belt , know the work that goes into that, We have just been focusing on the Scarf hold/Kesa escapes :)

I am 41 now, would love to also add some striking to my routine but at the moment the BJJ is taking a lot out of me, fighting mainly men much bigger than myself. Thinking of competing at the end of the year.

I tried to start a bjj group but don't know my way around MFP so well, maybe you can help me out and start one.

We just renovated our dojo and made the mat space twice the size, so excited to go ROLL tonight!

Working on kimura arm bars and chokes... back take...

Have an awesome day !

Good stuff! Scarfhold/Kesa is my “bread and butter” submission. I use it all the time. It’s something that not a lot of people use around here.

Competition is so much fun. I hope you do compete and I wish you much luck! We have a number of folks that just completed for the first time at a local tournament this past weekend. It was a great experience.

I went ahead and started the BJJ Group. Hopefully, we can grab all the Jiu Jitsu folks on MFP. I will post more content to it later today. Hopefully everyone on this thread will join and we can get the ball rolling on some good discussion. Enjoy those new mats tonight!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133289-the-brazilian-jiu-jitsu-addicts-group

• Brabo_Grip
    Options
    Also, any grapplers in this thread please feel free to add me as a friend. I know Tatami Matt already has. 👍
  • jiujitsudad15118
    jiujitsudad15118 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Whats up BJJ people!!!!!! I didnt know this thread existed!!!!!! I figured Id search "Jiujitsu". Duh! haha
  • suzanne6094
    Options
    where did your bjj journey start, give some details