Foods you haven’t eaten in your current weight loss journey

Options
List them and share anything you care to about why or why not. How many days?

Should be an interesting discussion.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Liver of any kind. Just haven't, but probably would.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Um, not a whole lot of tofu, it tends to give me quite a lot of GI distress (for lack of more graphic words) so I try to avoid it (and soy more broadly) in anything other than very small quantities. A sheer lack of cheese, but I also hate most cheese. No peanut butter (see the cheese comment) or many other nut butters.

I haven't cut out anything specifically for the sake of losing weight. I've cut down on various foods because they're harder to fit into my calorie allotment, but I haven't cut anything out.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Maybe nuts? At least not regularly.. they are way too calorie dense for me and not worth the hit. But I probably had them in a salad or with cheese or something at an event or on vacation.

Honestly I can't really think of anything specific that I don't normally eat or I would say no to just because I'm in a deficit. My calorie intake is pretty sweet and I can usually have whatever I want. :)
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Might as well add at least one since others have shared - doughnuts.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Chocolate.. :( I truly believe everything in moderation but it is my kryptonite and I cannot eat just a couple of pieces. Usually I go 6 months chocolate free then have a block.. :# I enjoy it guilt free then go another 6 months.. maybe one day I'll learn to handle that sweet, creamy deliciousness better.. 🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've cut out full-fat ice cream. It's one of my favorite things in life, but it's also a trigger food. And one serving doesn't cut it for me, it just leaves me sad.

So I pretty much decided that I have to do without it and will only have it during special occasions or vacation or something like that.

I also stay away from things like nuts and peanut butter. Just too calorically dense given my 1450 allowance right now.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Ummm ... yak's milk? Not that I wouldn't, but it's not commonly available in my neck of the woods or anywhere I've traveled in the past 2,146 days, I think. Pretty sure I haven't had any ostrich or emu. Not sure where to source that either.

I had an ostrich burger from Borough Market next to London Bridge - that market is a foodie's delight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything that I like, and ate before weight loss, that I haven't eaten since starting weight loss (4 years ago; I'm now in maintenance). Frequency, relative proportion, and serving size of some things have changed: Just a matter of changed priorities.

(I ate most of those same things while losing, too - I'd say all, but there was probably something that, by coincidence, I didn't eat at all during the most-of-a-year while actively losing. I specifically remember having had desserts, candy, deep-fried foods, craft beer, and more.)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I've been at maintenance since 2015. When I was losing, one thing I did was look at what I had been eating and determine whether it was worth the cals for me. In many cases I'd fallen into a habit of eating things because they were there (bread on the table at a restaurant, work place snacks), so I cut those out.

I don't think I'd really purchased food items that I didn't like when gaining, so I didn't cut them out. I ate less of a lot of things, and ate other things (order in Indian food, my particular it's been a hard day, need delivery weakness) more rarely (in fact I stopped ordering it in and only ate it about once every couple of months when we went out to a restaurant). I guess one thing is muffins, which I'd occasionally impulse buy for breakfast before and having a regular breakfast and also seeing the cals made me think just weren't worth it.

There are plenty of things I didn't have, but they are things I don't have now either, since I don't really like them or simply don't consume them anymore (like alcohol).
  • jlp1994
    jlp1994 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A Big Mac with french fries. Sigh. I would get some sweet and sour sauce and dip the fries and the Big Mac into it. Never mind that I would get massive heartburn after eating them, they just tasted sooooo good. Haven't had one since I started here, so around 450-ish days I think? Now though, I get heartburn just thinking about it and I cringe at the thought of all those calories which is a pretty good deterrent.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Meat. It’s nothing to do with weight loss, though. I was vegetarian long before I started losing weight, so it’s been well over 5000 days now.

There is nothing that I stopped eating as an intentional part of a weight loss plan.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Ummm ... yak's milk? Not that I wouldn't, but it's not commonly available in my neck of the woods or anywhere I've traveled in the past 2,146 days, I think. Pretty sure I haven't had any ostrich or emu. Not sure where to source that either.

I had an ostrich burger from Borough Market next to London Bridge - that market is a foodie's delight.

Lucky you! I knew a place that was raising emu, but I have no idea where they sold the meat. (I'm assuming they sold the meat. I suppose they could have been rescue emus.)
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Nuts & legumes (peanut butter, almond butter, PB2, cashews, pistachios) - my preferred food for cheat days/"refeeds" after prolonged/dieting too aggressively; will easily hit 4-5,000 kcals/day on days I would let loose.
    Been close to 2 months without during this "cut" since I'm using a more tamed down deficit vs. a more cyclical approach (more aggressive deficit days with 1-2 high kcal days/week).

Can't argue with the slow & steady/consistent approach; I do "splurge" and throw in a jar of preserves a few days per week (~200kcal/jar...nothing compared to an entire jar of cashews and/or pistachios)

Alcohol - it's a given...I drink roughly 1-2 times per year, mostly just because my sisters want to see me tipsy
  • snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bourbon. I haven't had a drink since January.
  • snuff15ee
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    I've cut out full-fat ice cream. It's one of my favorite things in life, but it's also a trigger food. And one serving doesn't cut it for me, it just leaves me sad.

So I pretty much decided that I have to do without it and will only have it during special occasions or vacation or something like that.

I also stay away from things like nuts and peanut butter. Just too calorically dense given my 1450 allowance right now.

Have you ever made Nice Cream? It might scratch your itch.
  • snuff15ee
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Chocolate.. :( I truly believe everything in moderation but it is my kryptonite and I cannot eat just a couple of pieces. Usually I go 6 months chocolate free then have a block.. :# I enjoy it guilt free then go another 6 months.. maybe one day I'll learn to handle that sweet, creamy deliciousness better.. 🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫

I eat 2-3 squares of dark chocolate every night and still managed to lose 36 pounds, but it has to be the 86% or higher stuff. My fav is the Alter Eco dark chocolate. I recently purchase 30 bars that hopefully last me 2-3 months.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Gummy bears. Haven't had a gummy bear excursion in a year's time. The end.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Haven’t drank any “adult beverages” since beginning my current journey on August 31, 2018. Further than that but don’t have exact date.