Keto + exercise

Options
Panys_mom
Panys_mom Posts: 96 Member
edited June 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey so I've been on the keto life change for 3 weeks and while I'm losing weight and feeling better, I've noticed it's taking me longer to do exercises that I could breeze through, like 30 minutes of aerobics and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I've found that instead of completing a workout I'll so something a bit easier like my stationary bike and do squats, crunches, and weights to try and make up for what I'm missing.

Back to my main question, has anyone been having trouble do it their normal workout routine she you started keto? Did you bounce back or just do other things?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Yes. Most do. Keto is not ideal for exercise.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've been on keto for about 7 weeks now. I couldn't even think about exercising the first few weeks, but I'm feeling a lot stronger now. I just started running again and have not had any problems.
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It takes time (a few weeks maybe?) for your body to adjust. Make sure to replenish electrolytes. Perhaps take it easy with exercise until you adjust. It sounds like you already are.
  • Panys_mom
    Panys_mom Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll stick with the easy exercises for now, build up my strength. Very much appreciate it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    When I don't get enough carbs, I can't go beyond my threshold, which is normal and expected. When I'm eating enough carbs, my max heart rate is about 190, when I don't get enough carbs I can't go over 160 on a bike or 165 running. I can still be pretty fast on flat ground, but obviously I give a lot up by eating this way. Again this is normal, this is why athletes "carb load" before races.
  • Coopjitsu10P
    Coopjitsu10P Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Panys_mom wrote: »
    Hey so I've been on the keto life change for 3 weeks and while I'm losing weight and feeling better, I've noticed it's taking me longer to do exercises that I could breeze through, like 30 minutes of aerobics and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I've found that instead of completing a workout I'll so something a bit easier like my stationary bike and do squats, crunches, and weights to try and make up for what I'm missing.

Back to my main question, has anyone been having trouble do it their normal workout routine she you started keto? Did you bounce back or just do other things?

I've been in keto for a year and a half, I didn't work out for the first several months but now I regularly attend Juijitsu classes and feel fine. Just stick with it and you'll start feeling better.
  • ArtsieSarah
    ArtsieSarah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Instead of going full Keto, can you add one pre-workout snack that is a carb? Ideally 100 calories like an English muffin or something. Keto is great to shed pounds but if you want some energy for exercising you will need a little boost. Carbs are what fuel your workout, we eat carbs for energy. Definitely look into a 100 cal English muffin and maybe even some peanut butter an hour before working out. Best of luck!!