Are you offended by the word "fat"??

Options
I see a lot of people (mostly women sadly) get really upset when they hear the word "fat" in relation to their size. To me, that is not offensive..since if you are more than 25 % body fat you ARE higher than what is healthy..you are "fat" in essence. Heck..when I tipped the scales at 208 i called MYSELF fat.

Being fat did not make me a bad person, ugly, or less accomplished. It did not make me less outgoing, a terrible mother or a terrible friend. All it did was impede my movement, and limit the choices of cute clothes I could wear comfortably. I would be VERY offended if someone called me stupid, or mean..but fat? PFFFTTT...unless I was thin and was called that (in which case i'd be more confused than anything), I'd find no reason to be offended. Kind of like being called blonde, or stubborn, or outgoing. It's not a judgment, it's an observation.

Maybee its an american thing.

Do you get offended by being called 'fat"? Even if you ARE?

Replies

• voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Most people can't handle the truth. I'm fat. HAH. Oh well. I'm also loud, obnoxious, downright annoyous sometimes. A drinker, I curse, I'm a smartass and I tend to use my words for evil.

Some people just can't call spades, a spade.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I am toadally fat.
  • JeanWalker109
    Options
    I'm not. It is what it is. I'm overweight. I'm overweight b/c my body is filled with excess fat. Fat is fat. You can't call it anything else.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I would be terribly offended if someone directly called me fat because their intention would be to hurt my feelings, but the word in general doesnt really offend me, its just a word after all.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    uhh? what? Not really... the appropritate term would be overweight or obese. FAT? really? everyone has fat... so therefore everyone is fat. 24% body fat and under still is "FAT"... ? I don't understand your logic. good try though...
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Most people can't handle the truth. I'm fat. HAH. Oh well. I'm also loud, obnoxious, downright annoyous sometimes. A drinker, I curse, I'm a smartass and I tend to use my words for evil.

Some people just can't call spades, a spade.

I think we're soul sisters. I too am all of the above. I don't care if someone calls me fat...just don't tie that in with my self worth. Now, I'm also an a**hole. Again, I don't get offended when people call me one. I usually say, "Thank you." :wink:
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I was more offended by the word "fat" when I was overweight. Now that I have reached my goal, I look back on my photos and say to myself... yep, I was fat. Fat is not a nice word mainly because we all have our own self-image in our head. None of us want to admit that we are/were fat at one time. At least that's my thoughts on it.
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    uhh? what? Not really... the appropritate term would be overweight or obese. FAT? really? everyone has fat... so therefore everyone is fat. 24% body fat and under still is "FAT"... ? I don't understand your logic. good try though...
    ???? I dont wanna be called OBESE! lol and 24% BF is not fat, I am sorry just trying to read that confuses me
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I would be terribly offended if someone directly called me fat because their intention would be to hurt my feelings, but the word in general doesnt really offend me, its just a word after all.

This
  • jendra11339
    Options
    "Fat" is a loaded worded.
    I wasn't overweight in middle school, just more "grown" than most girls. I was called "fat" by the other girls and it was hurtful and mean. It also caused me to become depressed and emotionally eat which then caused me to gain weight....
    So, no I don't like being called fat.
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about tone and context. For example, if someone referred to me as blonde, I wouldn't mind because that's a characteristic. If someone said, "Wow, you are SO blonde" in response to something I said, than the context is that I'm dumb. I think it's how someone uses and/or says the word; it's the intent around it.
  • vintagefool
    Options

Agreed. Often when someone outright calls you fat, they mean it as an insult. When I was struggling with my highest weights in the middle of high school, no one ever called me fat in a positive or even neutral light :/ I think that is why most are offended by the word, they've experienced the negative connotations and insults attached to it.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I really think its a matter of how the word is used. You can tell when someone is saying it to be mean and when they are just making an observation. I'd be offended if someone looked me in the eye and said "Hey Fatty" and it upsets me when I hear others called fat in front of a group. What benefit does the person get from calling someone else fat in front of others? It's just unnecessary and most people are embarrassed that they are fat and it makes them uncomfortable to talk about it. Yes you may be fat but you don't have to have a discussion about it.

Now I do think it is downright ridiculous when people get offended by others calling themselves fat. If I want to call myself fat and I'm smaller than you it's nothing on you, it's just how I feel about my body.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to wipe off the goo of my belly for months. Every time I look in the mirror, I call myself a fat pig. Nothing like a worthy self image. I guess if people had the same self image as me, they would'nt be ......let me clear my throat..."taf".

Keep mixing it up walldancer.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Labels often hurt more than reality(unfortunately).
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    No, I am fat. It would be like saying I'm offended that I have brown eyes.
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'd describe myself as fat... Now if someone else called me fat I'd be offended! So offended I'd sit on them and squash them... Won't call me fat again!!! 
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    The word friday rings in everbodies ear different also. If it's your Monday, you scoff and moan and say "stop saying the 'F' word." If it's your friday you do a snoopy dance.