Does anyone have an unconventional love story?

Options
2»

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    chelny wrote: »
    We were unusual at the time, when online dating sites were just beginning. We met online. But one of the things I think is interesting about my relationship is that we went to many of the same concerts and events without ever meeting. He grew up in the city and that was his circle of friends. I grew up in a rural area, but would drive into the city to go to clubs, concerts, and festivals. Completely different circle of friends. We both took a cautious chance with a website and met. Dated for about 5 years, then got married. 😊 perhaps not all that unusual? I don’t know. I have one other friend who met her husband online.

This is a little bit similar to my story too! Not just meeting online, which we did - but my husband and I went to a lot of the same concerts & clubs over the years without ever meeting. When I was in college, I worked in a supermarket and my husband (who was still in high school at the time) would come there with his parents frequently even though they lived almost an hour away...they just liked the store...but we don't remember ever seeing each other there.

We attended the same university for undergrad and even majored in the same subject! However, I'm 5 years older than he is AND he attended college two years later than I did, so we graduated 7 years apart and never went there at the same time. We also liked/hated different instructors and classes within our majors, and I was heavily involved in my minor (different from his), and was working full-time during college whereas he was very involved in campus stuff and on boards and in clubs. Totally opposite experiences.

I was married for 9 years before we met. He had never married. We happened to join the same online dating site at around the same time and matched up in tons of areas and had a 98% "compatibility rating" on OK Cupid so I sent him a message and he *swears* that he was out on a walk thinking of what to write to me because he'd noticed my profile too. Then he came home, saw my message and started typing away.

After a couple of dates, we discovered that on the night of the 2011 tornado that destroyed my former home, I entered a restaurant at 5:15 pm that he had just left around 5:00 pm. If I'd been in my home (less than 4 blocks away) I may have died (two neighbors and over 150 people in my town did). Tons of weird coincidences!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Thanks MiltonBradley1! Just one of those things that sometimes happen in life.