Does anyone actually like kale?

Replies

• PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    I do, I do. My favorite thing is a kale salad from Aldi, I could eat it Every. Day.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    ....and, my philosophy since doing this is, there’s not enough calories to waste on anything you dislike, and all foods you like in moderation and portion control.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 527 Member
    baby kale cooked with some onion, garlic and tomatoes isn't bad, but the only way I actually "like" it is when I make kale chips. It loses it's heavy "green" flavor, picks up the taste of whatever spices you use, and who doesn't like crunchy foods?
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I only like kale drizzled in olive oil on a baking sheet, lightly seasoned, sprinkled with parmesan, baked in the oven to make Parmesan Kale Chips.

Other than that, not a fan.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't care for regular kale...I can eat it if served to me...but I do like baby kale and much prefer it.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I eat the bagged sweet kale salad from Costco almost every day. I'm not a huge fan of kale on its own, but in that mix, with the shredded cabbage, brussels sprouts, and broccoli, it's really good.
  • anonuser369
    anonuser369 Posts: 76 Member
    I eat the bagged sweet kale salad from Costco almost every day. I'm not a huge fan of kale on its own, but in that mix, with the shredded cabbage, brussels sprouts, and broccoli, it's really good.

It's the cranberries that make it shine!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

It's the cranberries that make it shine!

And the pumpkin seeds!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I am not a fan of any cooked greens whatsover so I choose to find recipes that call for raw. Spinach is a no-brainer as it is quite mild in its raw form. However, kale? I had a hard time liking it ... until I found a massaged kale salad. The recipe was tailored for lacinato (aka dinosaur) kale. The key is stripping the tough "spine" and then tearing the kale for salad and literally massaging the dressing marinade into the kale which breaks down the tough leaves and bitter taste. We eat this massaged lacinato kale salad at home by itself, on top of regular salad, on sandwiches, burgers, etc. I will dress my portion up with some roasted pumpkin seeds, spicy roasted nuts or even dried cranberries.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    I eat kale and like it, but love spinach so I'd pick it over kale.

I can't stand raw celery! I like it in soups though.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    I love making spicy sauteed kale. I like it in salads because it stays crunchy...If you don't like it try something like spinach...I also love butter lettuce, arugula and radicchio
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    I love Wendy's Superfood Salad, in which kale is the main ingredient. I made it at home once and it was good but a lot of trouble. I also put it in sweet smoothies (strawberry and banana) and don't even taste it.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Well, I use kale for this soup I make and it's really good actually. It's a brothy soup made with russet potatoes, italian sausage and kale. It's really good. But I can't actually taste the kale, it just tastes like the rest of the soup but in leaf form.

I wonder how many people realize that they're eating kale when they have that soup at Olive Garden? ;)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Just made a skillet dish this week that we often have with hamburger, pasta, tomatoes, & kale and my 10 year old actually said, "Oh good! I love kale!" I was a little suspicious... ;)
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    I love kale, but I understand not everyone is a fan. Baked for Kale chips may be worth a try. It changes the texture significantly.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I love kale. I grow it so I can have as much as I want. But I’m from Oregon, and probably a lot of people here like kale. Or pretend to 🙄
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    I only like kale sometimes. It's great baked until crispy with some salt and cayenne pepper. I like baby kale included in salad mixes.

I think that's about it lol

I love 😍 celery and really miss it. I developed an oral allergy to it. 😢 Now I can only have it if it's cooked to death and in small quantities.
  • katiesmom_99
    katiesmom_99 Posts: 87 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

This. I don't like kale but do like spinach, another food I never ate growing up. I also don't like quinoa, so I don't eat it :)

Keep trying new things, though! The next one might be a winner.

Quinoa is the nutritional universe's idea of a sick joke. Absolutely can't stand the feel of it in my mouth. It makes me gag.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

This. I don't like kale but do like spinach, another food I never ate growing up. I also don't like quinoa, so I don't eat it :)

Keep trying new things, though! The next one might be a winner.

Quinoa is the nutritional universe's idea of a sick joke. Absolutely can't stand the feel of it in my mouth. It makes me gag.

Just FTR, the quote is a misattribution. It's Pinuplove who dislikes kale and introduced disliking quinoa. I like them both.
  • Darren225g
    Darren225g Posts: 214 Member
    I'm a fan of kale. I usually steam it and eat it daily. It tastes pretty good when you bake it making it nice and crispy.