What are your 2019 exercise goals?

Options

Replies

• harrycharming885
    harrycharming885 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    To Improve mental toughness along with my Biceps and triceps
    I will also Increase my 5 kg weight this year.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I'd like to at least be able to test up for a Yellow Belt in Krav Maga next year.

Mission accomplished

744v3anjfp8w.jpeg

Woo hoo! So great!
  • WandRsmom
    WandRsmom Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Chin ups. Any number . That's the current goal. Last year it was 10 straight legged push ups. Now I do 20.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    Finish a Double Century bicycle ride in mid May

Done, but in June and 7 miles short.
    m6v4a55w5qe2.jpg
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    To increase my weight training frequency and increase my protein intake so I can maintain muscle mass as I lose weight.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Finish a Double Century bicycle ride in mid May

Done, but in June and 7 miles short.
    m6v4a55w5qe2.jpg

Congratulations!!

I have to say, I'd have been tempted to ride around the block a few times at the end. :grin:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    A marathon in a major city in April or May.
    A marathon in August.
    48 km on my 48th month running anniversary in September.
    2019 km in 2019.
    Keep doing handstands/stretching/balance/core daily.

These will mean I get outdoors, travel, keep running, keep strong, and keep my flexibility and balance.

Ha! Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

However, I've still been getting outdoors, travelling, running, keeping strong, and keeping my flexibility and balance.

Had a lot of work stress which meant easing up on the big distances.

Amazing how many calories stress will burn!! (Been logging All The Data 4.5 years.)

I'm really proud of my ability to practice moderation and sustainability, and to speak up when afraid.

My Art is also going really well.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Bravo @Orphia
    Try to move my recomp/decomp/maintainance cycle into more of a recomp again, circumstances permitting.
    Really looking forward to a bit of consistency, even if I simplify what I am doing.

Accept that I shouldn’t push squatting (weight) any further and switch to various leg machines.
    Will alleviate a lot of frustration.

Improve swimming, yet again, so snorkeling is a fun event.
    So love it; so freeze up in deep water.

All positives for so many reasons, sorry can’t say love.

Cheers, h.

I can happily say nope nope nope too.

Family is so much more important.

I’ve kept moving so in the maintain (fitness) phase though a little decomp has happened.
    (No probs maintaining weight)

Took 12 weeks of swimming lessons at the beginning of the year, still hopeless so just started on a set that will take me into Christmas. Fingers crossed I’ll have a breakthrough.

Cheers, h.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    To sum up ...

Half marathon in January ... Done!! :)

Gradually build up cycling distance ticking off milestone distances along the way. The goal behind this is to build a solid base for further long distances and events in 2020.
    50 km
    75 km
    100 km
    125 km
    160 km (100 miles)

Get back to climbing 20+ flights of stairs at least 4 days each week. I work in a 10-storey building, and can climb 10 flights in the morning, and 10 flights in the afternoon ... plus extras if I want.

Walk (or run or hike ... basically move by foot) more than last year.

These are my walking/running/hiking totals for the past few years ... so ... more than 1357.1 km in 2019 would be good.

2018 - 1357.1 km
    2017 - 1302.52 km
    2016 - 1133.02 km
    2015 - 1131.7 km

And build some upper body & core strength + improving flexibility.

I haven't been able to run since the half marathon.

I am cycling but not building up.

I am climbing stairs but not regularly.

I am walking ... quite a bit of walking. Right now I'm at 764.8 km for 2019 so I just need to walk about 170 km/month to make my goal by the end of the year. Might be a little bit of a stretch, but we'll see.

I am getting some upper body and core with pilates, rowing and some additional exercises.

• pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Mu 2019 winter goal is to learn to do cardio in the rain and cold. Cardio has always been a fair weather friend; a really good one.
  • Orphia
    Options
    pjwrt wrote: »
    Mu 2019 winter goal is to learn to do cardio in the rain and cold. Cardio has always been a fair weather friend; a really good one.

@pjwrt Don't blame yourself. Just need appropriate clothes. :smile:
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Main goal for 2019 - BQ at Steamtown in October.

Other 'plans' include training for a fast 5k for the first couple months of the year (other than mile training I have never trained to run fast). I will also be running my first ever 'ultra' trail races in January (3 and 6 hour timed events - I 'may' get enough distance in the 6 hour race to be considered an ultra). I'll run a couple other races before training for Steamtown gets started (sometime in July).

I also plan to bike more next year and maybe get back into martial arts for cross training.

The training for the 5k went well but I got the flu a week before the race. Ended up about 3 minutes off my PR. Not sure I'll train like that again. I like to keep my lungs in my chest. :#

Ran the January race. Didn't get the ultra distance but I had fun (too much Mountain DEW, toasted cheese sandwiches, and Fireball). I'm already signed up for next years race.

I was peer pressured ;) into running Erie Marathon before Steamtown. I decided to take a shot at a BQ there. Six weeks before the race I tore a muscle (sports hernia) and that put me at 0 miles for a couple weeks. I managed to work back up to 15 and started the race but had to quit early. I've already backed out of Steamtown. I'm now focusing on a November marathon - maybe Harrisburg or Philly. I'll decide at the last minute if I will do one - I don't want to just run it. I want to run it hard.

I did manage to bike a lot more. It was the only thing I could do pain free while I was injured...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I love the way those reporting back are so rational about both successes, and not achieving a goal that was set before knowing what the year would bring.

I almost said failure, but it is not. It is balancing life.

I can remember seeing @Orphia’s post about 2019 km. I thought ooh that is so doable walking.
    Ha! The first 2 months I got 400km.
    2nd 2month 300.

Then life, a holiday and spending time with my mum in Scotland, took over.
    I just checked the health app on my phone and I am at 1300km so far for the year.

I’m not a tracking type of person, but I am thinking if I add a bit more time on walking, 40 instead of my usual ~30 min stroll a day, I may just make it.

I wish I had remembered the 2019km when it was much better weather, but heck, a little bit of rain won’t shrink or rust me.

Will report back at the end of the year.

Cheers, h.
  • Orphia
    Options
    @dewd2 :heart: @middlehaitch :heart: @Machka9 :heart:

We've all been successful, and we know part of achieving goals is setting SMART goals and not being ashamed to alter them in order to maintain all-round health.

In fitness and exercise, our goal-setting also needs training.

I was starting to dislike seeing this thread lurking in my My Discussions list, so I decided to put a stop to avoiding it.

For the rest of 2019:

Run regularly at distances that mean I can keep running regularly.

I have other nice goals that aren't about exercise, but exercise means I feel able to do them.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I don't really have 'goals' in the sense that I have to do something or fail. I'd rather call them plans. I plan to do this or that but if I don't it is not a big deal. My only 'goal' for the year is to keep moving forward and 'try' to get better every year. I have long term goals that may or may not be achievable. Those are the ones that keep me making plans each year and 'trying' to get better. And, if I never achieve the long term goals it isn't a huge deal. The fact that I am stronger because of the pursuit is achievement enough.

But I will BQ next year dammit! :D:D:D
  • WandRsmom
    WandRsmom Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Chin ups. I just want to be able to do one.
  • Orphia
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I don't really have 'goals' in the sense that I have to do something or fail. I'd rather call them plans. I plan to do this or that but if I don't it is not a big deal. My only 'goal' for the year is to keep moving forward and 'try' to get better every year. I have long term goals that may or may not be achievable. Those are the ones that keep me making plans each year and 'trying' to get better. And, if I never achieve the long term goals it isn't a huge deal. The fact that I am stronger because of the pursuit is achievement enough.

But I will BQ next year dammit! :D:D:D

Hahaha, that's all so great.

I have had a plan/goal to do the Athens Authentic Marathon in a year or two. I've been doing Greek lessons on Duolingo for a year.

However, I'm not so sure I want to add such a huge flight to my carbon footprint now. But I'm still loving the lessons.

I love your goal of trying to get better, stronger, and/or wiser.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    My original 2019 plan was to train smarter and not take it too serious and not get hurt. Well, that all changed in January when I injured my Thoracic spine, I thought while doing indoor rowing, on a rowing workout.

I do a niche sport of Indoor Rowing (yes, I know it sounds odd, but it has a cult like following of Cross Fitters, strength training athletes, former runners/bikers and former College Crew). I had in the back of my mind to finally break a 7 minute 2K this year and a sub 19 minute 5K. After having to take 4 months completely off the rower and then baby my back for the next two or three, I'm back to paces that I started at five or so years ago.

The good news is the back is healing, though I have a lot of strength left to regain. I've also enjoyed a lot of my workouts while I haven't had the ability to train as hard. Also, the several months not being able to do the rower made me appreciate it more. I've also learned that Cross training is OK to do more often. Although I do believe in specificity training, I've gotten some great workouts on an Assault Bike too. When I couldn't row at all, I could do the Assault Bike, also a great full body workout.

I do plan on racing this Winter, though I won't be nearly as competitive as I was 18 to 20 months ago. I'll go not to win but to just enjoy the experience.

Full circle on my goals, I am back to the injury impacting me only slightly now so I am nearly full health again. I've learned better desk posture. I've learned that the back wasn't all hurt by rowing. I had a cheaper office chair that was breaking down. I have a new appreciation of a great ergonomic chair. Lessons can be taken out of setbacks. This is the first longer term injury I've experienced in over 10 years. I've been disappointed in my performance numbers but not my resilience, if that makes sense.
  • Orphia
    Options
    I think a few in this thread like indoor rowing.