deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    double century bike ride in may
    ironman mont treblant in august
    10k bridge to gorge swim in october
    marine corps marathon in october

ummm....i might have issues
  • deannalfisher
    Mont Tremblant 70.3 (half iron distance) triathlon in June & Toronto Waterfront marathon in October with a handful of half-marathons & shorter triathlons thrown in.

i'll need your feed back on Mont Treblant half - i'll be doing the full in august
  • deannalfisher
    sijomial wrote: »
    2018 was my first full year retired and has been a really good exercise year for me especially on the cycling front, particularly a fairly dramatic improvement in my hill climbing ability, but there's some lessons to learn.....
    • Lose my "winter fluff" a bit quicker, entering an early season long distance event will help focus my attention better.
    • Do more organised events as they tended to be the most fun and take me to new areas, include three century rides as I normally only do two a year.
    • Explore further afield, including cycling abroad.
    • Be a little kinder to my elderly body as I had too many episodes of general fatigue which I caught a bit too late (push harder isn't the answer to every question!).
    • More focus on the technical side of training rather than just volume.

its not competative - but you could check out RAGBRAI in the US - ride across iowa - its a yearly event for a week
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Y'all, I'm so inspired by all of the amazing goals. I'm finding so many that I want to incorporate! Even the moving more. You all are rockstars!!!!
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    edited December 2018
    To determine my 2019 goals, I need to first think back on how 2018 went.

The defining moment for me was in February when I turned 30. For some reason, turning 30 triggered a nagging thought that I really needed to focus on my health more. My weight was at it's highest and I was very unhappy with how I looked and felt in general.

I started focusing on my diet in March and in May joined the gym which was a HUGE deal for me (had always been an irrational fear of mine). I can feel myself getting stronger in the gym as I make progress with weight lifting and as I increase intensity in my cardio classes. Since March, I've lost 36 lbs through lots of trial and error and feel like I'm finally getting into a good rhythm. I have 14 lbs left to reach a "normal" BMI and then I will go from there to determine how much more I need/want to lose.

So for me, I think my biggest goal is to continue doing exactly what I've been doing. Continue increasing intensity in cardio and increasing weight in lifting. These are very new habits for me, so right now staying consistent is the best thing I can do.
  • deannalfisher
    Is a photo coffee table book an exercise goal? I want to carry my camera and photograph my cycling/running life for 12 months. The point for me is to give purpose to some of my rides - to give me an excuse to both travel further and also stop more to appreciate the scenery. This is opposed to always watching the bike computer and analyzing the metrics. I plan to explore more on my gravel bike.

totally! I love that idea
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Run 4-5 10K's including a new personal record.
    Get back to being able to do 20 chin-ups.
    Get back to being able to do 20 dips.
    Continue to maintain my weight for another year.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    I'm not great with goals; I'm more about looking around me & taking advantage of immediate opportunities. But . . .

I need to get in a pool and swim at least once (if you know how much I dislike swimming, despite needing to swim in order to row safely, this wouldn't sound nearly as lame as it seems on the surface).

Get back into some kind of explicit strength routine (another thing I don't much like, but know I need) without aggravating some physical problem and needing a break and physical therapy again.

Keep on keeping on with rowing, hoping to keep up 4 days a week on water again this year once weather allows, and make it through the C2 Holiday Challenge again in 2019.

Keep up with spin (2x a week, currently) and do some cycling in summer.

Defer knee surgery for at least another year (torn meniscus).

Dang, that whole thing sounded kind of grim and gloomy! (It isn't, really.)

Rowing camp (Craftsbury) again would be nice, too. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    2018 was my first full year retired and has been a really good exercise year for me especially on the cycling front, particularly a fairly dramatic improvement in my hill climbing ability, but there's some lessons to learn.....
    • Lose my "winter fluff" a bit quicker, entering an early season long distance event will help focus my attention better.
    • Do more organised events as they tended to be the most fun and take me to new areas, include three century rides as I normally only do two a year.
    • Explore further afield, including cycling abroad.
    • Be a little kinder to my elderly body as I had too many episodes of general fatigue which I caught a bit too late (push harder isn't the answer to every question!).
    • More focus on the technical side of training rather than just volume.

its not competative - but you could check out RAGBRAI in the US - ride across iowa - its a yearly event for a week

@deannalfisher

Thanks for that suggestion - I'm only competitive with myself so that sounds good. ;)

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Is a photo coffee table book an exercise goal? I want to carry my camera and photograph my cycling/running life for 12 months. The point for me is to give purpose to some of my rides - to give me an excuse to both travel further and also stop more to appreciate the scenery. This is opposed to always watching the bike computer and analyzing the metrics. I plan to explore more on my gravel bike.

I’ve had an incredibly fortunate year that involved tons of travels all over the country - almost exclusively to participate in various events. One trip was through AZ and although I experienced some incredible places, the highlight of that trip was a sunrise run around the Grand Canyon. I guess “run” is generous since I stopped about 700 times to take pics (and also managed to throw my hotel room key into the canyon), but it was absolutely breathtaking, awe inspiring and the photos I took (as nothing more than an iPhone photographer who doesn’t even understand filters) are amazing.
  • corriepelc
    corriepelc Posts: 2,088 Member
    My goals for 2019 are:

To get get back to my personal goal (got about 14 lbs to go)

Run at least one race a month

Continue working on upping my strength so I can crush it at my Spartan Sprint in November.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    3 plate bench (315#). It was also my goal in 2018 along with 20 dead hangs. I got the dead hangs but I failed to make the bench. I got close but hit a real plateau/stall. This year for sure! (fingers crossed).
  • lizziequek
    lizziequek Posts: 1,373 Member
    want to increase my walking times from 34 mins for 2.4 km - 32 minutes or under & to increase hand weights i use in barre class from 0.5 kg each hand to 1 kg ( currently i find the 0.5 kg weights heavy)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member
    Start walking with purpose again. My work days I knock out 7-8k steps, but on my off days, I run about 3-5k. Not a complete slug, but nothing to write home about. On my off days, I plan to start off with a brisk 30 minute walk daily (weather permitting, I am not doing it in a deluge).

I am also planning to start a beginner bodyweight routing, probably nerd fitness modified as needed, a minimum of twice per week.

Caveat: Having a hysterectomy mid Jan, so the bodyweight thing probably won't start until February.
  • NancyintheNorth
    NancyintheNorth Posts: 3 Member
    Continue to learn more about strength training and lift more and more and more.
    Continue to eat healthy, and track food
    To learn more about myself
    Challenge myself to learn as much about lifting and how my body works.
  • PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Try not to be a doofus and lift smarter to not re-aggravate my SI joint
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Plan and execute!