Mediterranean VS Keto - Thoughts?

Options
I'm making yet another "YouTurn" and restarting. I want to lose my carb and sugar addiction and need help and support!

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

Have you researched both styles? I looked into keto but realized it wouldn't be sustainable for me. Too many restrictions.

Mediterranean is much easier, in my opinion.

I eat plant based with seafood, eggs and cheese. I love it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    This seems a popular topic lately. You might find this thread interesting: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10752250/keto-vs-mediterranean-diet#latest

Here is what I wrote there:

Mediterranean is more flexible in that it's basically just one version of a healthful eating pattern (and people often interpret it very loosely). I think of it as basically mostly cooking from whole foods, lots of veg and fruit, whole grains and beans/lentil, not that much meat with fish/seafood a significant source of the meat that is consumed. Olives and olive oil as one fat source (rather than butter), as well as nuts and seeds.

I eat basically this way, although it's more geared toward what's in season and grows well around me during growing season vs. Med-specific dishes (with the exception of olives/olive oil, and I also adore avocado). In fact, I often explore dishes from other areas of the world.

I tried keto briefly and it wasn't for me as even with no more than a serving of nuts and/or greek yogurt/cottage cheese and all the veg I like to eat I'd be at or over my net carb goal every day (I do love vegetables and like to eat a variety, but these were all non starchy veg). I also missed fruit and was eating more meat than I prefer (I think people do manage with less meat, but I can't figure out how while still meeting protein and carb goals unless it's a lot of fake meat).

I think it's great for those who struggle with appetite on other diets or who feel like they are enjoying their food options more on keto, but for me it felt restrictive and didn't convey any benefits and I feel like my diet doing a more Med style (or just generally eating in a way that takes into account nutrition and delicious cooking) is healthier for me.

You will have to figure out what works for you, however.

I'll add that there's no particular reason to do a named diet. In that it's basically just one form of a healthy eating pattern, I don't really think of the Med diet as such a diet, it's a pretty flexible way to eat.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Right! And everything begins with a start! Definitely got something good going here. If worried about sauces and dressings,
    maybe look up a couple good recipes for sugar free versions of your favorites while at the library?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,972 Member
    Options
    jfeather01 wrote: »
    I think I'll actually walk to the library tomorrow and get a couple books and compare. I think Med might work for me in that I can have a bit of carb. I don't worry so much about natural sugar (do love my fruit) as much as the added sugar in sauces, dressings, and everything else processed. It's a start right?!

Great to see another library user! I am a voracious reader. I belong to three library systems and almost never have to purchase fiction. Many cookbooks are available in my local library systems - I love being able to "try before I buy."
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    She doesn't have an issue with protein.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    -
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    I'm sure the poster can let people know if she has any issues with the insightful information shared in this thread. <3
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Rammer123 wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    It does if she logs in the food diary and sees what those carbs and sugars cost in regards to calories.

They “cost” no more than protein....

Sounded like her issue was her addiction to sugar and carbs as she mentioned in her post....

The user name may be changed but the recommendations are still about the same quality. Not so rad.

Sugar and carb addiction is not a thing. It's craving and habit.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sugar addiction is not a thing. Having difficulty moderating a food can be applied to many foods. Cravings are not an addiction. For the OP to lower carbs could be beneficial. Some people report decreased carb cravings on lower carb. It doesn't have be lowered all the way to keto levels in many instances.

The mediterranean diet can be a little carb heavy with pastas and grains but it also has lots of veggies and fruits. If one can modify it to suit with less starchy carbs, it may work fine.

Personally, I am skeptical of named diets. But, if I were to name mine, it would likely be a modified mediterranean diet with more protein and less starchy carbs. Lots of veggies and fruit.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    jfeather01 wrote: »
    I think I'll actually walk to the library tomorrow and get a couple books and compare. I think Med might work for me in that I can have a bit of carb. I don't worry so much about natural sugar (do love my fruit) as much as the added sugar in sauces, dressings, and everything else processed. It's a start right?!

It doesn't work for everyone, but I've seen others here report this, too: For me, making it a point for a while to eat several daily servings of fruit helped reduce my cravings for less nutrient-dense sweets like baked goods and candy. (I aimed for 3 servings.) Might be worth a try?

I used to be skeptical about that for myself (not for others), but over the past few months I've been eating more fruit than before (instead of mostly concentrating on veg and eating fruit just because I love local summer fruit and kind of ignoring it much of the rest of the year). I didn't have a big sweet tooth before, but for whatever reason, during this time that I've been consciously eating at least 2-3 servings of fruit per day I find I'm just not very interested in sweets at all.

When it's hot, fruit is something I really crave, too.