just weighed myself - devastated

I knew I had put on weight over christmas and in the new year, but just stepped on scales and at 5 feet 4 inches, I am now 182.6 lbs, which is classed as obese.
I have just had surgery so I really need to go at this problem via diet and not excercise, but I have been sticking to 1200 calories a day and dont feel like I am seeing results.
So devastated by this. help :(

Replies

• goatelope
    goatelope Posts: 178 Member
    This is the first time I’ve stepped on the scale in many years. I knew I had gained and gained. I tried to avoid seeing the weight on the scales but after a couple of weeks of tracking calories I felt there was no difference and finally weighed myself. I am 182.6 - I used to be about 140. If i stay at 1200 cals will I see results? I am tracking everything and eating v v carefully
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Not enough information. How long have you been trying? How long since your surgery? Did mfp give you 1200 calories? Or did you choose it?
    Male or female? Goal weight? Activity level? Age?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Not enough information. How long have you been trying? How long since your surgery? Did mfp give you 1200 calories? Or did you choose it?
    Male or female? Goal weight? Activity level? Age?

Stats are in another thread - 38, F, 182lbs 5'4"
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    goatelope wrote: »
    This is the first time I’ve stepped on the scale in many years. I knew I had gained and gained. I tried to avoid seeing the weight on the scales but after a couple of weeks of tracking calories I felt there was no difference and finally weighed myself. I am 182.6 - I used to be about 140. If i stay at 1200 cals will I see results? I am tracking everything and eating v v carefully

I have answered this in your other thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10752901/does-this-sound-right-bit-confused#latest
  • goatelope
    Thanks everyone. I guess half the battle is facing facts and sticking to the plan. I have the sensation that I’m getting bigger but I just have to stick to the 1200, keep it nutritious, and re-weigh myself to see how I go in another week or two weeks.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Surgery can result in water weight especially if you aren’t moving much. As a previous person said, stay at maintenance while you heal. You’ll heal slower if you diet. At the very least you should check with your doctor if it is safe or a good idea to diet just now.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Thanks everyone. I guess half the battle is facing facts and sticking to the plan. I have the sensation that I’m getting bigger but I just have to stick to the 1200, keep it nutritious, and re-weigh myself to see how I go in another week or two weeks.

Be sure you measure too. I was convinced that I was getting bigger even though I've been in maintenance for 2 years and my weight is still in range. I finally pulled out the measuring tape the other day and I have actually gotten slightly smaller. I don't know why we feel bigger, maybe just getting used to being smaller so be patient, don't allow the body scale to rule your life and eat within your calories and I guarantee it will happen. It might take more time that you like but it WILL happen. I can also confirm the water retention from surgery thing. It can take a ridiculously long time to see that come down but it really will.

• goatelope
    Thanks so much for this - it’s really helped. I have this fear that I’ll stick with the diet and then weigh myself and there won’t be any change. It was a bit of a shock this time with weight gain - in the past it was so easy to lose weight but this time it has felt nearly impossible. I guess maybe combination of knee injury meaning I couldn’t walk it off, and getting older!
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    If weight loss is your goal without exercise then yes reducing your intake is important but you should consider a low carb/high fat diet like keto. Yes it seems counterproductive but it can give tremendous results and you can eat more.

If you want to lose weight and keep it off, eating 1200 calories per day is a real challenge because at some point you will increase that amount or give up entirely as many people do (80% of dieters report giving up eventually).

Weight loss takes time. Most people, including myself, try to convince our bodies and mind that we must lose the weigh fast and keep it off...hence dropping down to 1200 calories per day. It simply isn't sustainable long term unless you have an iron will and adopt athletic type exercise.

Move as much as you can when you can. Don't "stress eat" and slowly incorporate better eating habits.
  • Girlheidi
    Girlheidi Posts: 60 Member
    I knew I had put on weight over christmas and in the new year, but just stepped on scales and at 5 feet 4 inches, I am now 182.6 lbs, which is classed as obese.
    I have just had surgery so I really need to go at this problem via diet and not excercise, but I have been sticking to 1200 calories a day and dont feel like I am seeing results.
    So devastated by this. help :(

This was me, minus the surgery, a year ago. 183lbs and 5"4. I did have a surgery but it didnt effect weight, more an emotional toll.

Fast forward a year and I'm now 150lb. Still want to loose more but definitely happier.

I've just eaten a bit less and logged everything on mfp. I also got a Fitbit and synced that to MFP and this makes me more aware of what I am and am not doing! Highly recommend a Fitbit and mfp together.

First 25 lbs were not too hard. Last pounds are harder so I'm just eating at a 250 calorie deficit and trying to be more active.

I know I'm better for it, I sleep better and feel better. My kids even told me it was amazing how I look, so that is all I need to hear.

If I can do it, anyone can, but keep in mind that it's a long term goal. It's taken me a year. 2lbs a week is aggressive, 2lbs a month is fine!!!!

Don't beat yourself up, take it slow and steady and you will get there.

• MichelleMinn
    MichelleMinn Posts: 90 Member
    Stepping on the scale when you haven't for a while can definitely be an education, and I know it must be frustrating to not be able to be as mobile as you would like, all that means though is you have to have more patience and trust you're headed in the right direction. Practice good habits, do what you can, so that when you can add more movement you're set up for success. You can do this!