Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Dad bod to Grandpa bod

2»

Replies

• SueSueDioSueSueDio Posts: 4,796Member Member Posts: 4,796Member Member
    I really have no idea at what % I'll hit the "look" I'm after, nor how long I'll stay. I'm not really interested in competing or anything, I just want to see how far I can chase it without getting too crazy. I've never done this before, and had I only hit 229 instead of 232, I'd probably still be there and more focused on the weight training, as has been my way.

Nice work so far! :)

I've seen this mentioned a few times on this site, you might find it interesting as you continue your quest for single-digit BF%:

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/cost-of-getting-lean-infographic
  • pierinifitnesspierinifitness Posts: 2,345Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,345Member, Premium Member
    Here’s another good article, hot off the “press” -

https://www.myoleanfitness.com/pareto-principle-for-fat-loss/
  • maverick4x4maverick4x4 Posts: 40Member, Premium Member Posts: 40Member, Premium Member
    Interesting graphic (it's popped up a few times plus other similar ones).

I think any time you have a food plan, and 25 carb, 25 fat, 50 protein is definitely a plan, there is going to be some potential interference with social situations that include food. But honestly, most of those situations have been fairly easy to navigate. Focus on the proteins, on the veggies, "budget" the daily calories, or just pound a protein shake up front and just graze/ ignore the food.

So far the progress has been more or less consistent. I go more strict at times and from time to time, I enjoy the (food) moment. Today was one of those food days, but also included a heavy workout plus a hike. It's been interesting to see the results from long consistent strict stretches and then periods of strictness with high calorie days sprinkled in.

There's more I could do that I haven't had to yet (more cardio, less calories, food timing, whatever else my consultant dreams up) so for now, I'll just keep tracking in MFP, following the macros, drinking the protein shakes and eating the chicken/steak salads with extra meat. 😁😁

If I stall out then I'll reevaluate...and modify either the goals or the methods. But it hasn't really been all that difficult to sustain so far, so no changes yet. I think I'm close... we'll see what the next few weeks bring.

y2iutbj7l72t.jpg
  • pierinifitnesspierinifitness Posts: 2,345Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,345Member, Premium Member
    @maverick4x4, consistency is our middle-aged friend in our fitness, health and wellness journey. Thanks for sharing. Keep marching forward.
    edited July 7
  • maverick4x4maverick4x4 Posts: 40Member, Premium Member Posts: 40Member, Premium Member
    87h4016vyd77.jpg
    Still at it.

It's been a fun summer, shoulder seems to be to be healing up. Finally able to actually grip the squat bar again, rather than balancing it with my fingertips. My heel also seems to be feeling better as well.

195 has been elusive. I had to tighten things up the last couple weeks.

Next push is to get under 190, I'm excited to see what that looks like. Also starting to think about what maintenance will look like with protein at 200 g/day. Guessing total calories will be around 2,300 cal/day.
    edited August 22
    The last couple of weeks have been productive and Labor Day weekend was fun, actually hit my lowest weight since I was in my early 20s at 191.3 on Saturday. Then we ATE! LOL we spent some time at a family cabin and enjoyed a big sourdough pancake, sausage, bacon, egg, fruit breakfast and other snacks, instantly jumped to 196 then back to 194 this morning. I don't worry too much about water weight fluctuations after higher than normal carb days, but it's interesting to track. In fact, I'm planning on an instant gain of 3-5 lbs once I go into maintenance phase, since I'll mainly be eating more carbs (it's hard to imagine increasing my 200g/day protein).

Body comp goals are getting closer...just a little fat left under the pecs that needs to be gone before I'll be satisfied. Maybe it will happen between 185-190?

My heel is almost better, I've been jogging a little, but no sprints or sled pulls yet. Shoulder is still painful and squats with any more than warmup weight are hit and miss; it's very difficult to get the bar in the right spot on my traps to use any appreciable weight, so spending extra effort on the leg press. At least the shoulder will tolerate heavier deadlifts again and they are getting worked back in.

m4rrcosacp92.jpg
    Here is a collage from beach photos. Mid August vs last fall.
    99qi9wv1edt1.jpg
    fjbjrwab78nr.jpg
    jww1fp75ayac.jpgkgrsfswkypgq.jpg

I did an "Inbody" bf% test at Vasa... anyone buying it? I personally don't think my abs are popping enough to be in the single digits. (the jury is still out on whether or not I'm going to shave to find out)

edited September 20
    Thanks for continuing to share your journey. You're making good progress and look happy. Good for you. You do have some decent musculature but based on my experience with DXA-Scans, I don't judged that you're single digit in the BF percentage department. Like that old photo, think I partied with you in the good olden days.

Keep marching forward, you'll get there.
    Hey @maverick4x4, thought you might enjoy this one where the person had his body fat percentage tested using two methods on the same day.

Thanks! Planning on the Dexascan soon. I did the underwater back in my 30s, got to 12%. I feel like I'm at about the same leanness as then, though a lot less muscle mass. It would be interesting to do both or all three (water, dx, inbody) on the same day, plus calipers.

I wish my shoulders were healthy enough to do endless pullups like in the video.
  • AliNouveauAliNouveau Posts: 33,961Member Member Posts: 33,961Member Member
    Wow well done you.
    Very impressive results.

You mentioned your shoulders not being healthy. What's your issue there? I'm dealing with a torn rotator cuff I'll be having repaired in October but wow it really puts a damper on upper body workouts. Nothing seems to work. I used to have really nicely defined shoulders. Sadly no longer