Eating more to lose weight?

Options
Hey everyone! Recently I’ve been stuck in my weight loss journey. I’ve done everything from change my workouts and foods but I never changed how much I was eating. Recently I came across an article that said you need to eat more to lose weight and really kick start your metabolism. On my fitness pal it says I should be eating 1,800 calories and I just recently started paying attention to my macros. All together I’ve lost 100 lbs and I have 30 more to get to my goal. Has anyone else had success with this? Is this something that is successful? Also any advice would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Eating more calories to lose weight is never the answer unless, of course, these calories give you more energy. Zip Zip Zip

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10179969/weight-loss-flow-chart-2-0/p1

• donsonsi
    donsonsi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How do you boost your metabolism? Exercise and food. If you've tried everything in the exercise category, you might try increasing your calories just a little--by about 50--for a few weeks. If that doesn't give you enough boost, try increasing by another 50 calories.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,443 Member
    Options
    donsonsi wrote: »
    How do you boost your metabolism? Exercise and food. If you've tried everything in the exercise category, you might try increasing your calories just a little--by about 50--for a few weeks. If that doesn't give you enough boost, try increasing by another 50 calories.

How does adding more calories lead to burning more calories? If TO was so exhausted from eating too little that they only lay in bed and sleep instead of doing anything then yeah. Otherwise no.
  • umbramirror
    umbramirror Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Recently I’ve been stuck in my weight loss journey. I’ve done everything from change my workouts and foods but I never changed how much I was eating. Recently I came across an article that said you need to eat more to lose weight and really kick start your metabolism. On my fitness pal it says I should be eating 1,800 calories and I just recently started paying attention to my macros. All together I’ve lost 100 lbs and I have 30 more to get to my goal. Has anyone else had success with this? Is this something that is successful? Also any advice would be great. Thanks!

How long have you been "stuck" in your weight loss journey? You maybe experiencing a normal plateau in weight loss that is typical when losing such a significant amount of weight. Also, what is you height and weight? And what kind of exercise are doing and how frequently?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    If under-eating leads to over-eating, which prevents you from having a calorie deficit, then a slight calorie increase that allows you to remain in a calorie deficit will indeed help you lose weight.

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    donsonsi wrote: »

How does adding more calories lead to burning more calories? If TO was so exhausted from eating too little that they only lay in bed and sleep instead of doing anything then yeah. Otherwise no.

It some cases it can. Obviously if you add too many calories it would cancel out the deficit, but if someone is finding they are burning out on 1500 calories for example, and they bump it up to 1700... it could lead to better and more effective workout performance and higher NEAT which in turn would increase their deficit. Again if someone isn't losing I wouldn't recommend to do that, but in some cases if weight loss is crawling and the person is feeling hungry and sloth-like, it can help.

Also interestingly when increasing calories to a surplus, it is not uncommon for people to be maintaining then add calories and start losing again. The increase in calories can give them a boost in energy to burn more calories. Again, this isn't a given and doesn't work for everyone in every situation, it is just interesting how more calories can lead to more deficit because of increased calorie burns.
  • donsonsi
    donsonsi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Have you taken any diet breaks along the way (periods of time where you maintain whatever weight you are at by eating maintenance calories)? You may be ready for a diet break - check out this thread (it's long but the actual info is in the first page or two). It has nothing to do with "kickstarting" your metabolism, though, it's primarily related to stress hormones that may cause you to retain water and feel tired, affecting the CO part of CICO by causing you to decrease background activities and burn fewer calories (in a nutshell, it's more complicated than that).

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Just looking at your picture...is that recent? You...don't look like you have much to lose.