HIIT Workouts

Options
What is your favorite HIIT workout that is sure to burn 500 calories (and some while resting)?

I like high knees, skaters, squats, jumping jacks, lateral movements and more.

What’s your fave HIIT?
Link it or describe it.
How many reps, how many sets?
What is the rest time between sets?

Replies

• belladawn2671
    belladawn2671 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can i please ask what is a manmaker and box jump? Thanks for the great post and info!!
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Its the best way to train in my opinion. Ive been working out since junior high, been lifting since high school, been a certified fitness/spinning instructor for 15 years, now at 44 im in the best shape ive ever been. I owe it all to hiit training and heavy lifting. More specifically tabata style of hiit training protocol.
    20 second all out (in this 20 seconds you should go as hard as you can. Breathless). 10 seconds recovery repeat 8 times to equal 4 minutes. I do about 5-6 rounds. (20-24 min). Then I add heavy lifting with it. One hour=500-600 calories.
    I have been teaching this way for 7 years now.
    Some of my favorite moves:
    Burpees
    Mountain climbers
    High knees
    Butt kicks
    Manmakers
    Jacks
    Skaters
    Long jumps
    Squat jumps
    Star jumps
    Frog jumps
    180 jumps
    Lateral jumps
    Lateral jumps to a burpee
    Battle ropes
    Box jumps

I use hiit training with the treadmill too. 30 sec sprint intervals i put into my running to increase my speed. I have never been a runner but i think of all my years of hiit training paid off. I ran my second 5k in 29 minutes.

If you look up tabata on itunes you can download songs. They count down for you etc.
    My favorite are

“total body tabata”
    “Turbo tabata trainer”

There are also a few podcasts that have tabatas.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/tabata-time-coached-tabata-interval-mix/id300391393?i=1000110433488

(This actually tells you what to do)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/125-bpm-tribal-tabata/id124686671?i=1000359093846

Good luck and enjoy!! Ive been training this way after my first son was born (8.5) years ago. I didn't have hours in the gym anymore. I needed effective and fast way of training. 3 kids later, i weigh less than i did before my wedding. Also from all the research, podcasts, and courses I have to take to keep my certification current this is the way to go. Long drawn out cardio is not longer the way to go.
    m

Yes! THIS is what I’m talking about! Thank you for sharing what you do and what’s worked for you!

• phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I see and read that cycling don't seem to be on list for HIIT. That's nutty to me. Oh Well. I just used 1hr of bike in gym as my example...i'm 57, using 220 -57, max HR is 163.

(1)..79% = 130bpm ....(2) 85% = 140bpm....(3) 93% =153bpm

In that 1 hr I'm pretty much constant at 75% to 79%. I'll get to 85% 2-3 times briefly in 1hr, and I'll really turn up tension and crank pedals for 30-60 seconds, hitting 150-155bpm.

If that is not HIIT well....maybe I should give it up :) ...Or those in the know that came up with this, at least the High Intesity first part are totally clueless :). If above is not HIIT, well....nm
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of different ideas being thrown around as to what HIIT is and what HIIT is not. Can we get some hard numbers here as to what HIIT is please?

I'm not being facetious, I'm honestly trying to understand where people are coming from.

I'm falling behind in the turn of conversation here. Everyone has a different idea of what HIIT is versus what circuit training is but are we using perceived effort/exertion, heart rate over duration? What's the standard?
  • symonhughes88
    symonhughes88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    A true HIIT workout is cardio of such extreme intensity that the duration must be short and a good proportion of that duration will be recovery time - you will not be burning 500cals or anywhere close.

I think you mean circuit training as you mention reps and sets?
    In which case using cable machines would be my current favourite, minimal rest and alternating push/pull, variable reps but mostly 10 - 15 depending on exercise, variable sets (more based on total duration) - but it's still unlikely to burn 500 cals!

EPOC is that's what you mean by burning some while resting is vastly over-estimated in terms of significance, it's trivial.

Perfect, not many people see HIIT that was, top man.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    phred_52 wrote: »
    I see and read that cycling don't seem to be on list for HIIT. That's nutty to me. Oh Well. I just used 1hr of bike in gym as my example...i'm 57, using 220 -57, max HR is 163.

(1)..79% = 130bpm ....(2) 85% = 140bpm....(3) 93% =153bpm

In that 1 hr I'm pretty much constant at 75% to 79%. I'll get to 85% 2-3 times briefly in 1hr, and I'll really turn up tension and crank pedals for 30-60 seconds, hitting 150-155bpm.

If that is not HIIT well....maybe I should give it up :) ...Or those in the know that came up with this, at least the High Intesity first part are totally clueless :). If above is not HIIT, well....nm

How do you know what your maximum heart rate is on which you base those percentages? If you have not done proper maxHR attempts you might be way off with this equation. Again, true HIIT is not something you could do for an hour but just a very, very short time.

Btw, based on that equation all my runs are HIIT as my maxHR should be 175. I usually run with an HR of 168-174 and can keep it up for 90 minutes. Whoa! I'm great! :D
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. just wanted to report spam, and an unsafe website, and it's gone already.