Compound vs Isolation Weight training

Options
2»

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Being a powerlifter, I use mainly compounds for reason of specificity to my goal of 1RM on the platform.

I do have a touch of isolation work early on in the developmental portions of my block and on GPP days specifically.

Hypertrophy is not a focus of my training more of a byproduct of it as a whole.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Being a powerlifter, I use mainly compounds for reason of specificity to my goal of 1RM on the platform.

I do have a touch of isolation work early on in the developmental portions of my block and on GPP days specifically.

would you say compounds are better if your goal is strength rather than size/looks?
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    thanos5 wrote: »

would you say compounds are better if your goal is strength rather than size/looks?

Not necessarily. One can build strength or muscle with any many types of training. Not everyone responds optimally to the same training either.

Powerlifting has a specific goal. That goal is to lift as heavy as possible at the three compound lifts(squat, bench, & deadlift) on a certain date.

If one wants to improve at any skill(my case powerlifting), one needs to practice that skill as well as accumulate proper stimulus to become stronger and build muscle.

One can achieve strength without getting huge. Though eventually more muscle will be needed to achieve more strength. Its a uneven balance but a careful eye in programming and adjustments are eccential for long term success.

Compounds may be more efficient on ROI, but specificity to one's goal has the most importance on what combination of training is ideal.
  • akafful
    akafful Posts: 64 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Should I do compounds if I’m on a time budget?
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    akafful wrote: »

Yes. I would absolutely lean that way in most cases. As long as adherence and goals are being met.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Which do you prefer for building muscles and why?

IMO, any quality program is going to have it's foundation laid with compound movements. Even my bodybuilding friends who do a lot of iso work perform compound movements as the foundation of their programming.

I'm partial to full body programming that is primarily compound work as it is very effective and efficient. I do some, but very little iso work...my goals in the weight room don't really require a lot of iso work and my time is also very limited so I need to be as efficient as possible in the weight room.
  • snake_man_32
    snake_man_32 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don’t have much time and don’t really like lifting, so I do mostly compound lifts to shorten the gym sessions.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    both. compound for strength and overall lifting prowess, but I actually do a lot of isolation because I lift more for aesthetics and "sculpting" than overall strength/powerlifting type stuff.

I actually do more isolation than compounds. For example, in my last program, I didn't squat at all in a proper squat way - I used squat variations on (GASP!) the Smith Machine (cue the "stay away from the Smith Machine" comments). I will, however, put them back in in my next program.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I prioritize the compound lifts because I lift at lunch time and have a 45 min work out window to get the job done. More bang for the buck in the time I have available. That probably takes up 30 mins of the work out. Then I superset a bunch of isolation work with the time I have left.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    good stuff in this thread, thanks to all.
  • akafful
    akafful Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Yes. I would absolutely lean that way in most cases. As long as adherence and goals are being met.

I thought so, on some days when I have work, that is the I could get for my time.