Short females (under 5")? Could you please share your maintainence calories and how active you are?

2»

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    SherriW70 wrote: »
    I'm 49 yoa, just under 5'3", 119 lbs, currently in a fat loss phase. The last BodPod I had done in 2016 said my BMR was 1078. I can maintain at 1600-1700 predominately-clean calories. I find, if I'm eating mainly processed carbs or restaurant food, even though the cals might appear to be within maintenance range, I start gaining. (Just tells me crap food isn't easily tracked accurately.) I track all the time, deficit or not. It's accountability for me and ensures I maintain. When starting a fat loss phase, I usually start at 1400 cals/day with little cardio/mainly lifting and see how it goes. It's usually .5-1 lb loss a week. By the last month of a 90-day fat loss phase, to keep losing, I have to lower to 1200 and add some cardio. The calories listed do not include activity, of course. I track, but don't eat back my exercise cals when losing. It's not odd (or unhealthy) for us short gals who are "low weight" already to have to go below 1200 for fat loss. It's all relative.

That is hardly a surprise when you can not accurately log the number of calories you eat with restaurant food. While you believe you are eating at maintenance, it is most probable that you are eating more. Otherwise, you would not be gaining weight.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Hello! Height is 153cm (or a shade over 5 foot). Weight is around 105-106 (I prefer to be around 102-3).
    Activity levels - desk job 3 days per week, walk a fair bit, strength training 2-3 times a week.
    Calories are around 1550, macros Carbs 47% (150g), fat 30% (42g) 23% (71g)
  • happysophia
    happysophia Posts: 7 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I posted this recently on a different thread but I thought I posted it here, so I went back and found it because I think it relates to this thread:

As a fellow shortie (5'0"), I find it critical to stay very active in order to maintain my weight. If I become sedentary, the pounds go on quickly because eating the required portions of food is a huge challenge in a world that is centered around larger people. My solution is to increase the number of calories I can consume to put it more in line with what "normal" people eat. If I did not stay active, my maintenance calories would be somewhere around 1400 or less. Forever. Where is the fun in that?

This is so totally me.

Me too!
  • katiesmom_99
    katiesmom_99 Posts: 87 Member
    5'0, 126lb, 48yo

My activity level is light to moderate depending on the day. Maintenance calories are 1546-1743. That gives me 1200-1310 cals daily so I have my diary set to 1250 and macros at 45/35/20. Working on upping protein to 30-35%.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    5'2"
    48 years old
    103 lbs.

I maintain at 1580 calories and am strict with hitting calories.
    Not as strict with macros, but they always fall in the same range.

I eat 1580 whether I exercise or not and don't "eat back" exercise calories.

Macros are about Protein 40%, Carbs 50%, Fat 10%. Probably could use more fat, but I like what I eat and my results have been great.

Lift weights 5-6x a week, cardio 1-2x a week.
    Other than exercise, I have a desk job and am not very active--cooking, cleaning, house work.

It's interesting reading everyone else's stats on this.
  • kymmixxx
    kymmixxx Posts: 151 Member
    edited July 2019
    4'10 135
    Very active
    Maintenance cals around 2000
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    hotel4dogs wrote: »
    Some of these really make me jealous. I consider 2000 calories a major binge day. :(

I have to walk around 20,000 steps to eat that amount. I don't know if that is really anything to be jealous of.
  • hotel4dogs
    hotel4dogs Posts: 72 Member
    edited July 2019
    I have to walk 5,000 plus do at least 90 minutes of intense cardio to get to 1500. It sucks getting old (but beats the alternative!).

Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Some of these really make me jealous. I consider 2000 calories a major binge day. :(

I have to walk around 20,000 steps to eat that amount. I don't know if that is really anything to be jealous of.

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,191 Member
    I'm 5'2" so if that's too tall, ignore this.
    I'm 61 years old, female.
    I have 101# of lean body mass, it's measured monthly and pretty consistent. That's a fair amount for my height.
    Activity is about 9 hours a week of intense cardio, plus 7 hours a week of lighter cardio.
    Due to medical issues I've been working with a registered dietician at a big University hospital nearby, and she figures my maintenance calories to be roughly 1500-1600 per day.
    Based on my weight staying the same, I'm sure she's right.
    For macros, about 45% protein, 30% carbs, 25% fats. But I have a medical condition which requires the extra protein.

Wow sound like your doing well.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

yeah same here, alot of steps for not that many more calories :/
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited July 2019
    Height
    Activity levels
    Calories/macros

I'm not under 5'0, but am 5'3 which is techically still petite. (I think?) Age- 31
    My activity level is somewhere between sedentary and lightly active?
    I actually just looked at my 1 year average on my fitbit for calories out. And it says my average output for the year is 1736. And I would say that's about right. I tend to maintain at around 1700, and start to gain if I get too sedentary, or start having too many 2000 calorie days. For macros? I think it's just set to whatever MFP gives me. I try to hit my protien goal every day to help curb hunger. For me, weight loss is really slow. Since 1/2 lb a week puts me at 1200 calorie goal. (1700-500=1200). And 1200 is really hard for me to hit without being too hungry. So I tend to gravitate toward abot 1400 or so give or take for weight loss. This means a snails pace loss of .25 a week, lol.
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
    - I'm 29, 5'1 and 155lbs (Currently in the process of recomping; my weight hasn't changed much but I am losing inches).
    - I try to be really active now that its summer - weightlifting & cardio during the week, hiking and kayaking during the weekends. I'm thinking of doing "cutting" during the fall months and then "bulking" afterwards.
    - I've set my calorie intake around 1700 (rest days) & 1800 (active days). I tend to focus more on my macros which are set at 40% protein/ 40% carbs/ 20% Fat. Seems to be working :smile:
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    5'2"
    46 years old
    109 lbs.

My goal for August is to get down to 107, 20% BF.

I have it set at 1200 calories and trying to shed fat% currently.
    Not as strict with calories, but I try to stick around that range.

Macros are about Protein 40%, Carbs 30%, Fat 30%. I was doing dirty keto (19%, 9%, 72%) but I felt I needed a little more protein so I am trying it out. My weight got up a pound this month but I look a bit more muscular. SO I figure I will keep it going for a bit.

I do lunch workouts (jog or jump rope) 5x a week, OTF -2-3x a week.
    Other than exercise, I have a desk job FT and am not very active--cooking, cleaning, house work driving kids around.
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    I'm 5 2 and weight is 51 kilos or 112 lbs. Fascinating for me to read your posts. I'm new here. I'm seeking to lower body fat % & gain muscle. Its fitness and tone I'm most focused on. I'm learning a lot from this app and these message boards. Thanks!