Salad isn’t a meal it’s a lifestyle 🥗

Options
2»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can't believe I can say this now but I too appreciate a good salad. I eat a salad every day for lunch and sometimes I even have one for breakfast. I add salmon or tuna to it. I will start adding chicken to it. I just started putting in some chia seeds. What is that light orange item in your salad? Sweet potato? Do you make your own dressing? I have been wanting to for some time but have not yet. I want to make one that is healthy and easy to put together. Been using the Olive Garden Light dressing.

If you have a stick blender it really cuts down on the effort of making your own dressing. You can make small amounts so you can keep tweaking your recipe and clean-up is very easy.

I have gotten kind of lazy lately and been dressing my salad with just oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. I need to get back in the habit of making my own again. I roasted a huge batch of garlic and I still have plenty of it in the freezer waiting for me to start again.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I'd start with just a vinaigrette or vinegar/mustard/oil based on, add herbs, garlic, etc. It's the easiest thing in the world to make. No tools needed but a spoon or whisk (depending on how much you make).

Some ideas: https://cookieandkate.com/how-to-make-vinaigrette-plus-variations/

I have been playing around with some nut-based ones (basically more of a creamy garlic type), but I always go back to vinaigrette as my standard -- you can control cals by how much olive oil you use, even though there is a standard ratio. I find less oil will still work fine (and for super low cal there are vinegar/mustard options).

For some salads where the flavors go I'd do sriracha, lime juice, and soy sauce, with perhaps a drop or two of fish sauce.
  • ahmadmshaly2019
    ahmadmshaly2019 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip.
    Honestly i find it really cool that everyone is sharing their ideas and recipes ♥️♥️
    Much love to you all ✌🏻♥️✌🏻
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm going to need a list of what's in that mixing bowl salad!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I would love to eat more salad, but anything more then a single side salad a day makes my digestive track very very angry and I will be up all night in the bathroom.
  • ahmadmshaly2019
    ahmadmshaly2019 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sure it’s really simple actually.
    Cucumber, tomatoes , green pepper , carrots, purple cabbage and onions
    As per the seasoning few drops virgin olive oil and drops of vinegar with some cumin and salt 👌🏻♥️
    You can add some mayo or any kind of dressing that you like ✌🏻
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I eat salad about as often as I go to Olive Garden.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    akzgrc21kzpn.png
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Damn right! I love salad.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    My salad today was a veggie delight from subway base with 1/2 lettuce 2x spinach, 2x red onion, 2x bell pepper, and cucumbers. To that I added 100 grams of broccoli slaw and 150 grams of sprouted mung beans. Dressed with s&p, oil, and vinegar.

I like doing Subway as the base and adding to it because it is fast and easy.
  • momble02
    momble02 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love a huge salad with maybe prawns, tuna, roast chicken or feta cheese for some protein. My favourite dressing at the moment is non-fat greek yogurt mixed with black pepper, lemon juice and dijon mustard.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Love the dressing ideas here. Thanks all.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I made a weird one today with spinach and kale as the base, then lotus root, beansprouts, green onions, cilantro lychees and roasted acorn squash. I made a dressing with soy sauce, mirin, sambal oelek and a little water. Also I make mine in mixing/serving bowls too :wink:
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Chopped Romaine, olives, 4 oz seared ahi tuna (cooled), tomato with that nasty liquid and seed removed, and a nice squirt of Panda Oyster sauce. Salt flakes and ground pepper.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    momble02 wrote: »
    I love a huge salad with maybe prawns, tuna, roast chicken or feta cheese for some protein. My favourite dressing at the moment is non-fat greek yogurt mixed with black pepper, lemon juice and dijon mustard.

Do you blend, whisk, shake the dressing?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,470 Member
    Options
    I keep boiled shrimp and cooked bacon in the freezer, and usually have some cooked chicken or steak in the fridge. I go through about a bag of salad or spinach a day, adding tomatoes, radishes, carrots and one of these chopped proteins. If I don’t feel like a meat, I keep a cube of halloumi cheese in the fridge and grill it up in a dry pan real quick. Strawberries and feta are always a great addition to any salad.

Have to be careful with that grilled halloumi. It’s even more dangerous than having a plate of bacon in reach.

There are wonderful infused gourmet vinegars that are so intense and so low cal I can dress my salad well for less than 20 calories. I like a brand called oli+ve. Their strawberry vinegar or mission fig are great on anything, and their blueberry is great with frozen blueberries on cottage cheese. The coconut is yummy in strawberries.

I have about ten different flavors on hand for every use under the sun. The chocolate or maple vinegar is good on thick plain yogurt or even in lieu of syrup.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    I would love to eat more salad, but anything more then a single side salad a day makes my digestive track very very angry and I will be up all night in the bathroom.

Do you have IBS? My mom does, and needs to eat foods high in insoluble fiber, like salads, last in the meal, after foods that are low fiber or have soluble fiber.

She also takes this brand of acacia powder https://www.heatherstummycare.com/p/suplmts_acacia/tummy-fiber-acacia-senegal-pouch/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    This time of year lots of meals are my OH grills and I make a salad and starch.
    • With burgers, I make my own Russian type dressing.
    • With steak, I often make Thai Beef Salad dressing.
    • I do several different things with chicken.
  • momble02
    momble02 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    momble02 wrote: »

Do you blend, whisk, shake the dressing?

I usually just stir it together - but sometimes I blend the same ingredients with coriander or cucumber as a raita style dressing or dip.