Do you eat the skin?

Options
FibroHiker
FibroHiker Posts: 342 Member
Growing up my family always ate the skin of baked potatoes. I can't think of a time when we ate sweet potatoes except for the sweet potato and marshmallow bake for Thanksgiving. We certainly didn't eat plain roasted sweet potatoes.

I was preparing some sweet potatoes to bake in the oven tonight, felt like I couldn't get them clean enough, and later would be munching on a bit of dirt if I ate the skins.

So do you consume the skin on your roasted sweet potatoes?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Grosses me out but then I'm Aussie and they aren't as common here. Baked potatoes is fine, the skin is thinner. I'm totally sure it's fine to eat those skins if clean and if you are in to them then do so. More fibre is good.
  • FibroHiker
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Grosses me out but then I'm Aussie and they aren't as common here. Baked potatoes is fine, the skin is thinner. I'm totally sure it's fine to eat those skins if clean and if you are in to them then do so. More fibre is good.

The skins on sweet potatoes are definitely thinner. Much easier to scrape out the flesh.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Nope. I did try it once after a similar thread a while back, and it wasn't inedible. But it was thick and leathery and tasteless, and there are so many delicious ways to get my fiber, that I just don't see the point.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Yes, all the time (or at least the 2-3 times a year I eat baked sweet potatoes).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I like 'em, so I eat 'em. Wash well, trim off bad spots, bake or microwave, eat. Try them: If they're unpleasant to you, don't eat them.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I like the skin best. On white potatoes, I wash them, soak them in salt water, then bake them. Love the salty skins.
    Sweet potatoes, yes, I eat the skin, but need to think of a way to make them even better, too. Suggestions?
  • FibroHiker
    Options
    I like the skin best. On white potatoes, I wash them, soak them in salt water, then bake them. Love the salty skins.
    Sweet potatoes, yes, I eat the skin, but need to think of a way to make them even better, too. Suggestions?

I like the idea of soaking.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't think twice, I eat the skin of all potatoes, pumpkins, zuchinni etc.
    I thought this was going to be a thread about eating the skin of weird fruit, such as a kiwi fruit.. yuck!
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I like the skin of sweet potatoes. It’s chewy which I like. The skin of pears however feels to me like nails on a chalk board.
  • FibroHiker
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a thread about eating the skin of weird fruit, such as a kiwi fruit.. yuck! [/quote

Are there people who eat kiwi skins??
  • FibroHiker
    Options
    Kupla71 wrote: »
    I like the skin of sweet potatoes. It’s chewy which I like. The skin of pears however feels to me like nails on a chalk board.

Especially if the pears are organic. They then to be tougher and leathery.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    aidydh wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be a thread about eating the skin of weird fruit, such as a kiwi fruit.. yuck!

I eat the kiwi skin!!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Baked white potatoes I eat the skin.
    Baked sweet potatoes I don’t eat the skin.
    Personal tastes.
    Kiwi, I heard that some eat the skin, but, uh uh, no way, the texture would gag me.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options

I eat the kiwi skin!!

How?!?
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

I eat the kiwi skin!!
    whitpauly wrote: »

I eat the kiwi skin!!

How?!?

When I could handle more fiber than I can now, I ate kiwis with the skin on too! I'd usually cut the kiwi into quarters, pull of the little stemmy piece, put it in my mouth and chew it up. Much quicker than trying to peel it while the fruit just turns to mush.
  • momble02
    momble02 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Baked white potatoes I eat the skins, baked sweet potatoes I don't but I do leave the skin on if I'm making home baked sweet potato fries.
    In New Zealand, in my hotel room, they served kiwi fruits in egg cups with a knife to slice it in half and then a teaspoon to scoop out the flesh - have eaten them that way ever since.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I eat the skin on red and yellow potatoes. I don't eat the skin on russet or sweet potatoes.
  • FibroHiker
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'd point out that there are different kinds of kiwis: There are the fuzzy/hairy ones that are familiar to me from grocery stores, but there are also smooth-skinned types.

The hardy ones are usually smaller, smooth, thin-skinned, more like a berry, so an entirely different thing to think about eating with the skin on. (They also come in different colors.) Might want to be sure everyone's talking about the same kiwi. ;)

They also come in different colors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwifruit

Wow, I didn't know they come in so many colors. I've only seen the usual fuzzy brown kiwis with green flesh in the stores.