how to overcome a plateau? need advice!:)

Options
Hi all! I have lost 15 pounds from using this app and i have been really happy for the most part! however, in the past 3 weeks, my weight has not changed at all. i am not sure why this is happening. i am working out just as much and i feel like i am eating the same amount as well. has this happened to anyone else? how did you overcome it?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    welcome

has your weight not changed at all or just not much in three weeks?

how much more do you want to lose?

what do you mean "feel you are eating the same amount" are you not weighing and logging? If not, this is where you need to start.

as you get closer to goal, you have less wiggle room and need to be more diligent in tracking. This could be why you didn't need to track food closely before but may need to start now.

This post may be insightful
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10697068/how-i-stopped-kidding-myself/p1

and this
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

• ashleylarkin15
    ashleylarkin15 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thank you for your reply. it has not shifted more than half a pound on any given day in the past 3 weeks. i have been logging everything and weighing the food. my goal is to lose about 25 to 30 more pounds
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Plateaus or stalls are to be expected. They are a natural part of the weight loss journey. The secret is to be patient. Read the stickies referenced above. Very insightful reads.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    You FEEL LIKE you are eating the same amount, as in eyeballing or stopping wearing when you are full — or you KNOW you are eating the same amount because you are weighing everything you eat on a digital food scale and entering calories based on grams and ounces? I bet there’s your issue!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    thank you for your reply. it has not shifted more than half a pound on any given day in the past 3 weeks. i have been logging everything and weighing the food. my goal is to lose about 25 to 30 more pounds

I'm confused. Half a pound every day is several pounds in three weeks. How does your weight today compare with your weight 3 weeks ago? Is it actually the same or have you just lost less than you expected and wanted to?
  • ashleylarkin15
    ashleylarkin15 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    it's not half a pound lost every day. i will lose half a pound and then the next day gain it so my weight over the past 3 weeks has been within the exact same pound. it is the exact same.
  • rajjivahaloh
    rajjivahaloh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm six weeks in, 9 lbs down, and stalled the past week. Did a search for "plateau", got this thread, checked out the links in the first reply, watched the two videos there. AWESOME!!! Thank you :)))))
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    i was in a plateau (even gained a few pounds) for 6-7 weeks. even though i was stilling diligently weight and doudble checking entires used. Sometimes weight loss just sucks. But the weight eventually came down to where it should be.

Double check that you weight everything properly even packaged items. Double check entries. ensure to capture all bitefuls and sharing along the day. and be patient.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    since you're counting calories.. the amount your allotted to lose goes DOWN..as you lose. you may need to be eating 100 fewer calories a day.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    That's not a very long plateau - be accurate and honest in your logging and keep going. Trust the process. Also - while not losing discernible weight you may still be changing, a tape measure is helpful during plateaux. Good Luck