Twice a Day

Options

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I do "two" workouts, but back to back. I swim laps for 45-60 minutes, depending on time constraints. Then I go to a deep water cardio class that is interval based or lift weights. They serve different purposes for me, and if I'm not feeling particularly energetic, I'll do just one or the other. It works for my goals. I also have to ride the careful line of eating enough to fuel my body, but not emptying the tank and overeating.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Rammer123 wrote: »
    MT1134 wrote: »
    According to the common theory, If that's the case, go run a marathon today and tomorrow when you weigh in, you should have dropped at least 20 lbs of fat right?

Let's have a conversation about it. No one here is debating it with any empirical evidence, you guys just like hitting the "woo" button. I'm up for having my mind changed. I'm just asking that you come back with something more than you just saying you don't agree.

Who's burning 70k calories running a marathon?

Maybe a T-Rex....

That's exactly my point. Does energy (calorie burn) not start to slow down over time due to efficiency and storage?
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    According to the common theory, If that's the case, go run a marathon today and tomorrow when you weigh in, you should have dropped at least 20 lbs of fat right?

Let's have a conversation about it. No one here is debating it with any empirical evidence, you guys just like hitting the "woo" button. I'm up for having my mind changed. I'm just asking that you come back with something more than you just saying you don't agree.

Maybe a T-Rex....

That's exactly my point. Does energy (calorie burn) not start to slow down over time due to efficiency and storage?

Yeah probably, but it doesn't stop like you mentioned.

More movement = more calories burned.
  • MT1134
    Options

Maybe a T-Rex....

Let's say that's true. Where do this calories come from?
  • Rammer123
    Options

Maybe a T-Rex....

From food
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

No...because nobody burns 70,000 calories running a marathon. Also, my wife was a marathon runner at one time...she ate a lot of food while training and could eat a horse after a marathon.
  • cwolfman13
    edited July 2019
    Options

Maybe a T-Rex....

Food? Have you ever run a marathon or known marathon runners? They eat all the foods...

I used to do quite a bit of long endurance cycling...I could consume far more calories when I was training and doing those events than I can just riding for 30-60 minutes 3-4 days per week for my fitness...ie I was moving more and burning more calories...way more calories. I never even had to think about what I was eating or watching what I ate.
  • Rammer123
    Options

Maybe a T-Rex....

Not sure where you're going with your question, cause all you've done the last couple posts is ask questions and not responeded.

I get what you're saying and what that model is saying that your body attempts to keep homeostasis and you could be burning the same amount of calories when you're marathon training as you were when you were only working out twice a week doing significantly less.

I dont have an issue with that.

My issue is you saying that more movement does not equal more calories burned.

If I get up and sprint. I've just burned an additional 10 calories. If I didnt get up and sprint i wouldnt have burned those 10 calories. If i get up and sprint every day for 6 weeks, you're saying my body will adjust and i will be burning the same amount of calories as I was before I ever started sprinting. Thats fine. But if i get up and sprint, I am still burning more calories than if i did not get up and sprint. And if i get up and sprint twice. I will burn more calories than I was when I was only getting up and sprinting once
  • MT1134
    Options
    You're proving my point.

From food.

So what's the point in increasing exercise for calorie burn when you could simply do it by diet alone, avoiding all the risk and negative factors that could come from too much exercise?
  • MT1134
    Options
    It would appear that doing 2x a day training isn't justified in the pursuit of exclusively dropping fat.

Which is why I said use diet for managing weight and exercise for health and longevity.

• Rammer123
    Options
    You're proving my point.

From food.

So what's the point in increasing exercise for calorie burn when you could simply do it by diet alone, avoiding all the risk and negative factors that could come from too much exercise?

You're trying to create an argument over something we were never talking about...

My issue was with you saying that more exercise does not burn more calories. I disagree
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    It would appear that doing 2x a day training isn't justified in the pursuit of exclusively dropping fat.

Which is why I said use diet for managing weight and exercise for health and longevity.

I 100% agree with this...but your original premise was that moving more doesn't burn more calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    Options
    There's a potential downside to 2-a-days, and the risk is most acute if your fitness/energy level isn't up to it: If you overwork your body, its response is fatigue. Fatigue makes us do less, either in daily life (less active chores, work, non-exercise hobbies) or by resting/sleeping more. Doing less makes us burn fewer calories. It's fairly easy to wipe out a large fraction of reasonable extra exercise calories via overwork and fatigue. This can be fairly subtle.

If you're already in a calorie deficit (i.e., losing weight), and you're trying to exercise more to lose weight faster, this risk of fatigue increases, because you're intentionally under-fueling yourself.

What happens to your car if it runs out of gas? It stops. Your body can run low on fuel, and slow down, because a total stop is not an evolution-favored outcome for bodies. ;)

That said, I've occasionally done 2-a-days, including some while in a calorie deficit . . . but I'd already been very active for over a decade, so it wasn't new, and in context it wasn't necessarily a huge extra stress. For sure, I wouldn't, even in my circumstances, even while losing fairly slowly, have scheduled 2 intense daily workouts on a regular basis.
  • MT1134
    Options

Maybe a T-Rex....

Not sure where you're going with your question, cause all you've done the last couple posts is ask questions and not responeded.

I get what you're saying and what that model is saying that your body attempts to keep homeostasis and you could be burning the same amount of calories when you're marathon training as you were when you were only working out twice a week doing significantly less.

If I get up and sprint. I've just burned an additional 10 calories. If I didnt get up and sprint i wouldnt have burned those 10 calories. If i get up and sprint every day for 6 weeks, you're saying my body will adjust and i will be burning the same amount of calories as I was before I ever started sprinting. Thats fine. But if i get up and sprint, I am still burning more calories than if i did not get up and sprint. And if i get up and sprint twice. I will burn more calories than I was when I was only getting up and sprinting once

I see your point. I understand exactly where you're coming from. I guess to explain in further detail is yes you were going to burn more calories... Up until a certain point.

the calories are being burned one way or another but it's more based on where those calories are coming from is my argument here. The original poster of this was looking to possibly up her exercise habits from once a day to twice a day in hopes of learning more calories to lose weight as I understood it? If that's the case my argument there is that it doesn't make sense to do such a thing when you can simply do that with diet and only work out once a day.

• MT1134
    Options
    All good points here. Thanks for the conversation guys. I see where I went wrong in a dressing calories being burned versus calories being burned from fat.
  • Rammer123
    Options

Maybe a T-Rex....

I see your point. I understand exactly where you're coming from. I guess to explain in further detail is yes you were going to burn more calories... Up until a certain point.

the calories are being burned one way or another but it's more based on where those calories are coming from is my argument here. The original poster of this was looking to possibly up her exercise habits from once a day to twice a day in hopes of learning more calories to lose weight as I understood it? If that's the case my argument there is that it doesn't make sense to do such a thing when you can simply do that with diet and only work out once a day.

I agree.

(except for the "up to a certain point" lol)

I will never get up and sprint and not burn any calories. I can always burn more calories, by moving more. I just had to give one last quote. That would be my ego.

But yes, I wholeheartedly agree with your statement about someone not doing crazy amounts of exercise to improve their weight loss whether in one, two, three or ten sessions. Normal healthy exercise is good for everyone, with or without weight loss goals.
  • MT1134
    Options

Maybe a T-Rex....

I agree.

(except for the "up to a certain point" lol)

I will never get up and sprint and not burn any calories. I can always burn more calories, by moving more. I just had to give one last quote. That would be my ego.

But yes, I wholeheartedly agree with your statement about someone not doing crazy amounts of exercise to improve their weight loss whether in one, two, three or ten sessions. Normal healthy exercise is good for everyone, with or without weight loss goals.

I guess what I meant by "up to a certain point" was meaning more towards where it's coming from.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You're proving my point.

From food.

But who says exercise is about dieting?

I'm currently training for a closed roads 100 mile cycle event.
    You can bet 100 miles is going to burn more calories than 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 or 90 miles!
    Where's the energy going to come from? From my food, not all from food eaten that day though.

The only negative I'm expecting is some saddle soreness and a bit of fatigue for a couple of days.

By the way Lance Armstrong was reputed to have gained about 1% efficiency in a year training like a beast, not significant for an ordinary person.
  • Rammer123
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You're proving my point.

From food.

But who says exercise is about dieting?

I'm currently training for a closed roads 100 mile cycle event.
    You can bet 100 miles is going to burn more calories than 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 or 90 miles!
    Where's the energy going to come from? From my food, not all from food eaten that day though.

The only negative I'm expecting is some saddle soreness and a bit of fatigue for a couple of days.

By the way Lance Armstrong was reputed to have gained about 1% efficiency in a year training like a beast, not significant for an ordinary person.

To be fair his initial comment that caused the conversation was geared toward avoiding excessive exercise solely to lose weight.

I knit picked a line and created a disagreement about it.