What's wrong with regular milk?

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
Why do people replace it with almond milk (besides lactose issues I guess)?

Replies

• sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. Milk is actually a good source of calcium and tastes good. No way I'd ever switch to almond or another kind unless I have lactose problems. I find those things much more expensive.

I also don't get the deal with greek yogurt. I think regular plain or flavoured would be good.

I'll likely get blasted but I try not to fall into "fad eating".
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I drink regular milk all the time =)
  • kmac420
    kmac420 Posts: 24
    Options
    I love the taste of almond milk, and it is much lower in calories than regular milk. Plus, you can get shelf stable boxes to last through hurricanes! One cup of almond milk has 40 calories, compared to a cup of 2%, which has 120, or even skim, which has double the calories of a glass of almond milk.
  • tklarakis
    Options
    Well it is most likley the calorie difference, the almond milk I get is like 45 cal per 8oz versus regular milk is like 100+ calories per 8oz. And Greek yogurt it AWESOME, been eating it for years, and I would say because it is thick and creamy even at 0% fat, plus it has a ton of protein. So everyone has their reasons, it's not just FADs, keep that in mind.
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a matter of what the milk is/where it comes from. Humans are the only animals that drink the breast milk of another animal. and that just grosses me out. It may not be scientifically based, it's just a preference I have. I don't like almond milk much, but I LOVE coconut milk and feel it's a better choice. My kids seem to have a problem with too much dairy as well-so I monitor their intake and keep it limited....to keep their tummies calm.

As to the yogurt-which I do eat from time to time (so I'm not anti-dairy overall) the greek has more protein in it, that's why I choose it.

We're all free to make our own choices, that's the beauty of it.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    for me and i am only speaking for me.l
    1.lactose issues
    2. less carbs
    3 less caloriea
    4 great health studd

and the most important reason

to me it just tastes nummier
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I drink regular milk as well. Well skim milk anyway. Almond Mike is way to sweet and kind of gross.

I actually LOVE greek yogurt over regular. It's just has a different taste and tons of protein. But regular yogurt to me taste good too. I buy greek now but dont have any problems with regular yogurt
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I love the taste of almond milk, and it is much lower in calories than regular milk. Plus, you can get shelf stable boxes to last through hurricanes! One cup of almond milk has 40 calories, compared to a cup of 2%, which has 120, or even skim, which has double the calories of a glass of almond milk.

this, I can't see giving up 120 calories to add to my coffee, when I can go with 40 instead. I don't want to drink my calories anymore than I have to. Greek yogurt is much higher in protein, thus keeping you full longer.
  • AmyS79
    AmyS79 Posts: 65
    Options
    I have never had almond milk.regular milk is just fine by me 2% OR 1% But we always have 2% thats what my kids drink.I dont like yogurt that much but when I wanna get yogurt I always buy the greek dannon fruit on bottom that was the 1st time I tryed geek I could not get it by itself but with the blueberries its pretty good.I dont like yoplait because I can tast the sugar in it and I just dont like that I dont like super sweet things.
  • tklarakis
    Options
    I drink regular milk as well. Well skim milk anyway. Almond Mike is way to sweet and kind of gross.

I actually LOVE greek yogurt over regular. It's just has a different taste and tons of protein. But regular yogurt to me taste good too. I buy greek now but dont have any problems with regular yogurt

Try the unsweetened, you may like it better, the sweetened vanilla kind is very sweet, and is less like actual milk.
  • moepett00
    Options
    This is a personal issue for people. Studies have shown that both the dairy and meat protein is bad for you, that it causes diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and even cancer. Many people go vegetarian and then vegan because of these specific health choice they make, or sometimes it's because of animal/environmental reasons. But for whatever reason they choose, almond milk, rice milk or soy milk, they are a substitute for regular milk, and you can get calcium in many other forms. They have also found that milk is not a leading cause to avoid osteoporosis.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    to address the greek yogurt, i feel in love with the texture from the first bite
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

this, I can't see giving up 120 calories to add to my coffee, when I can go with 40 instead. I don't want to drink my calories anymore than I have to. Greek yogurt is much higher in protein, thus keeping you full longer.

How much milk do you put in your coffee?!

I prefer Greek yogurt because of the higher protein, and the thicker texture. Regular yogurt is too runny for me. And as far as milk, I typically buy cow's milk because it's cheaper -- but I really shouldn't drink it. It makes my allergies crazy.
  • bearsfan68
    bearsfan68 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I normally drink skim milk but recently picked up unsweetened almond milk because I heard that a lot of people drink it. It is 35 calories per cup versus 80 calories for skim. It is thicker and creamier as well. Your right though, what you pay for 1/2 gallon you can buy a gallon of skim. It is a nice change once in a while though.

Another mentioned MFP the greek yogurt and I will tell you that it is thicker, creamier and is like eating a dessert! Again, a little more pricier than the other.
  • JEWEL776
    JEWEL776 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Why do people replace it with almond milk (besides lactose issues I guess)?

Almond milk also has more calcium then regular milk.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    to address the greek yogurt, i feel in love with the texture from the first bite

I did too and now I buy the Greek yogurt sald dressings and everything... Mmmmm

But I am still not sold on the Almond Milk... People have been drinking regular Milk for ages....Any doctor my son or I have been too suggest Milk daily....
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    You can actually achieve the greek yogurt texture by straining the cheaper stuff. However, it reduces the volume, so I'm not sure the price is any different in the end.

I make my own yogurt from raw milk, use cheap yogurt to culture it, and strain it through cheesecloth for 6-8 hours. The texture is amazing.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Just for less calories. I'll use both, depending on what I'm using it for.
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    I buy the store out of Almond milk when it's on sale. lol. I find it tastes better and keeps longer than regular skim milk. I didn't know that it has more calcium than cows milk. That makes me feel better drinking it. :happy:
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I drink skim milk and chocolate milk. I'll buy 1% or 2% milk, if the store is out of skim milk. As for yogurt, I don't like it. It's nasty to me.