• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I have you all beat! Open 100 calorie pack of Wholly Guacamole. Apply to toast. Consume. Quick and tasty!

Not sure how (1) open box (2) open individual tub and (3) apply to toast is easier or quicker than (1) cut avocado and (2) apply to toast.

But isn't '(1) cut avocado' actually several steps, including peeling the skin, removing the stone, and then washing your hands which are now covered in avocado goop before you can pick up the knife?

Slice avocado and twist to open.
    One side will not have the pit.
    Scoop flesh out with a spoon onto your toast.
    Spread with the knife you used to cut.

Clean hands, about 1/4 price of the avocado in a pack. Also, at least you know you are just eating avocado.

Clearly you are all just way better than I am at successfully choosing an avocado in the right stages of ripeness :)

When buying, remove the stem.
    Brown? Perfect eating. Buy few and place in the fridge. They will not ripen any more and will be good for 1-2 weeks.
    Green? Not ready.

Problem is, grocery stores that i go to never sell ripe avocados. They are all green AF.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,620 Member
    Options
    Avocados ripen well at home. If you want to speed things up place in a paper bag with bananas.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I keep all of mine in the fridge. I don't do the stem thing though I've heard of it. I do the gentle squeeze thing. I'm finally getting good at it. 😀
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Ooh! Here's mine!

1) Smoosh avocado with some salt and malt vinegar.
    2) Spread on toast
  • ravencate
    ravencate Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I keep it pretty simple too, it's one of my favorite things to eat. Toast bread (sourdough is my favorite), spread mashed avocado, sprinkle with red pepper flakes and drizzle with Lemon olive oil. See my profile picture....LOL!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,620 Member
    Options
    In one of my old cookbooks avocado was described as poor man's butter in Mexico. I like it with garlic salt as that's the way my mom used to serve it in the 70s on triscuit crackers.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    In one of my old cookbooks avocado was described as poor man's butter in Mexico. I like it with garlic salt as that's the way my mom used to serve it in the 70s on triscuit crackers.

Definitely need to try this. I love avocado with salt, so I think I'd like this.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I have you all beat! Open 100 calorie pack of Wholly Guacamole. Apply to toast. Consume. Quick and tasty!

Not sure how (1) open box (2) open individual tub and (3) apply to toast is easier or quicker than (1) cut avocado and (2) apply to toast.

But isn't '(1) cut avocado' actually several steps, including peeling the skin, removing the stone, and then washing your hands which are now covered in avocado goop before you can pick up the knife?

Peeling the skin? What's the point of that? You're making avocado toast. You don't need some neat avocado half all in one piece. Scoop it out and spread it on the toast, just like you would scoop the pre-made guacamole out of the tub to spread it.

ETA: What goop on my hands? My hands haven't touched the avocado flesh, just the outer skin, a knife, and a spoon.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

Peeling the skin? What's the point of that? You're making avocado toast. You don't need some neat avocado half all in one piece. Scoop it out and spread it on the toast, just like you would scoop the pre-made guacamole out of the tub to spread it.

ETA: What goop on my hands? My hands haven't touched the avocado flesh, just the outer skin, a knife, and a spoon.

See above on 'you're all way better at detecting perfectly ripe avocados than I am' :) In the world that I inhabit, avocados only seem to come in two kinds: rock hard, and rotten. One of these does not scoop nicely onto toast and needs to be peeled and sliced; the other might scoop perfectly onto toast but is actually going straight in the bin.

It's not just me, either; pretty much everyone I've ever talked to recognises this. Maybe it's a UK thing?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

See above on 'you're all way better at detecting perfectly ripe avocados than I am' :) In the world that I inhabit, avocados only seem to come in two kinds: rock hard, and rotten. One of these does not scoop nicely onto toast and needs to be peeled and sliced; the other might scoop perfectly onto toast but is actually going straight in the bin.

It's not just me, either; pretty much everyone I've ever talked to recognises this. Maybe it's a UK thing?

Maybe it's a shipping distance thing? Although I'm on the east coast of the U.S., and I prefer the Haas (dark, bumpy, smaller) avocados, so they're coming 3,000 miles or more I would think, either from Mexico or California. Are yours coming from the Americas? Maybe having to cross an ocean adds so much extra time that they're picked really unripe.

I occasionally intentionally buy some that are still hard, and some that are already ripe, and the hard ones ripen fine at room temperature. The only time I see them go a little bad (I wouldn't say rotten -- I still eat them after cutting the bad bits out) is if they hang out too long in refrigerator after they get ripe. Too long is at least 5 days.

I used to have similar problems with pears. They would be rock hard and stay rock hard, then finally in one day they would be rotten. I think the shipping and storage in the food delivery chain has improved over the last decade or so, because it's now possible to buy pears in the grocery store and actually have them ripen at home before they get rotten.

ETA: I don't want to make you sad or jealous, but if I do want a nice neat avocado half for a fancy presentation, I usually find that once I've cut it in half, I can rest my index fingers at the blossom and stem end, on the cut side, and push gently with my thumbs on the skin at the fattest point, and the skin just inverts and the avocado flesh pops out in one piece. I might end up with just a little bit of avocado flesh on my index fingers.
  • GettingskinnyforME
    GettingskinnyforME Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I skip the bread, crack an egg in the hole in the middle and bake it in the oven.

I have tried that and my egg just runs out all over!