1235»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

Not that Wikipedia is all that as the end all be all authority, but I found this part useful (and applicable to what some of you are asking about what defines HIIT).

Tabata regimen[edit]
    A version of HIIT was based on a 1996 study[10] by Professor Izumi Tabata (田畑泉) et al. initially involving Olympic speedskaters. The study used 20 seconds of ultra-intense exercise (at an intensity of about 170% of VO2max) followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated continuously for 4 minutes (8 cycles). The exercise was performed on a mechanically braked cycle ergometer. Tabata called this the IE1 protocol.[11] In the original study, athletes using this method trained 4 times per week, plus another day of steady-state training, for 6 weeks and obtained gains similar to a group of athletes who did steady state training (70% VO2max) 5 times per week. The steady state group had a higher VO2max at the end (from 52 to 57 mL/(kg•min)), but the Tabata group had started lower and gained more overall (from 48 to 55 mL/(kg•min)). Also, only the Tabata group had gained anaerobic capacity benefits. In the original study from 1996, participants were disqualified if they could not keep a steady cycling pace of 85RPM for the full 20 seconds of work.[relevant? – discuss]
    In popular culture, "Tabata training" has now come to refer to a wide variety of HIIT protocols and exercise regimens [12] that may or may not have similar benefits to those found in Tabata's original study.

I do this one rowing workout. Not all the time because it's too strenuous for me personally, but it's helpful to build Wattage. It's a pretty well known Ed McNeely workout.

You basically find out what our max Wattage is on the rower (there's a Wattage reading toggle on the C2). Then you write that down. The workout is 10 second sprints, one minute off. Whenever your Wattage falls below 80% of your max, the workout is done. You shoot for 20 reps.

Similar to the study listed in Wikipedia. By most standards, if it's true HIIT, there's a measurable metric that can be accounted for. Once you stop hitting that metric/measure standard, you're not really doing HIIT, you're just simply elevating your HR. That's why things like Sprinting, Cycling (using Power meters), Rowers and other equipment where you can quantifiably measure output are useful in HIIT. Things like Mountain Climbers or Burpees tend to be much more subjective to the person doing them.

Now, let's say you use a Plyo Box. How many times you can jump up a certain height on a Plyo box in 20 seconds would be a nice measure. Dangerous if not matted, but a nice measure never the less. Once you can't do it a certain amount of times, why are you doing it?

Saying if someone does more than 4 minutes, it can't be HIIT is silly, though. I know guys that are in three times the shape I'm in that easily can do more than 4 minutes of HIIT. Now, granted, they are also doing 150K meters a week on the rower, so massive amounts of slower endurance work. But you can't really say, by definition, that someone can't be doing HIIT if it lasts over 4 minutes. That's just not true.

This guy's in his 60s. He's a World Champion Indoor Rower. His intervals are insane and well beyond 4 minutes. Most guys on college crew teams would be hard pressed to do his workouts.

https://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=169648
    HIIT isn't the same a Tabata protocol. HIIT can be done beyond 4 minutes. A correct Tabata protocol really can't. Again, we're speaking a full out sprint and how many can sprint full out for more than 4 minutes? In Tabata, by about the 3rd cycle, most people would be gassed and couldn't continue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I posted up a guy doing 16 X 250 sprints in his 60s at, roughly 600 plus watts. You obviously have no idea what 600 Watts feels like if you believe that's not all out for a 60 year old. We just have to agree to disagree. Younger rowers can generate nearly 800/900 Watts for many more reps than 4 minutes in short bursts.

Tabata himself has YouTube videos up -- the source himself, Dr Tabata -- that aren't nearly this hard. They look like calisthenics, just what you're telling people isn't Tabata!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akoBAs5SEJo
    Personally I haven't seen any videos of elite athletes doing Tabata protocol and what wattage they put out, so I have no idea what watt rating they are achieving. It would be great to find one to see comparisons. I have seen videos of elite bike sprinters putting out 1800-2000 watts, so I know it's gotta be damn hard.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

Not that Wikipedia is all that as the end all be all authority, but I found this part useful (and applicable to what some of you are asking about what defines HIIT).

Tabata regimen[edit]
    A version of HIIT was based on a 1996 study[10] by Professor Izumi Tabata (田畑泉) et al. initially involving Olympic speedskaters. The study used 20 seconds of ultra-intense exercise (at an intensity of about 170% of VO2max) followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated continuously for 4 minutes (8 cycles). The exercise was performed on a mechanically braked cycle ergometer. Tabata called this the IE1 protocol.[11] In the original study, athletes using this method trained 4 times per week, plus another day of steady-state training, for 6 weeks and obtained gains similar to a group of athletes who did steady state training (70% VO2max) 5 times per week. The steady state group had a higher VO2max at the end (from 52 to 57 mL/(kg•min)), but the Tabata group had started lower and gained more overall (from 48 to 55 mL/(kg•min)). Also, only the Tabata group had gained anaerobic capacity benefits. In the original study from 1996, participants were disqualified if they could not keep a steady cycling pace of 85RPM for the full 20 seconds of work.[relevant? – discuss]
    In popular culture, "Tabata training" has now come to refer to a wide variety of HIIT protocols and exercise regimens [12] that may or may not have similar benefits to those found in Tabata's original study.

I do this one rowing workout. Not all the time because it's too strenuous for me personally, but it's helpful to build Wattage. It's a pretty well known Ed McNeely workout.

You basically find out what our max Wattage is on the rower (there's a Wattage reading toggle on the C2). Then you write that down. The workout is 10 second sprints, one minute off. Whenever your Wattage falls below 80% of your max, the workout is done. You shoot for 20 reps.

Similar to the study listed in Wikipedia. By most standards, if it's true HIIT, there's a measurable metric that can be accounted for. Once you stop hitting that metric/measure standard, you're not really doing HIIT, you're just simply elevating your HR. That's why things like Sprinting, Cycling (using Power meters), Rowers and other equipment where you can quantifiably measure output are useful in HIIT. Things like Mountain Climbers or Burpees tend to be much more subjective to the person doing them.

Now, let's say you use a Plyo Box. How many times you can jump up a certain height on a Plyo box in 20 seconds would be a nice measure. Dangerous if not matted, but a nice measure never the less. Once you can't do it a certain amount of times, why are you doing it?

Saying if someone does more than 4 minutes, it can't be HIIT is silly, though. I know guys that are in three times the shape I'm in that easily can do more than 4 minutes of HIIT. Now, granted, they are also doing 150K meters a week on the rower, so massive amounts of slower endurance work. But you can't really say, by definition, that someone can't be doing HIIT if it lasts over 4 minutes. That's just not true.

This guy's in his 60s. He's a World Champion Indoor Rower. His intervals are insane and well beyond 4 minutes. Most guys on college crew teams would be hard pressed to do his workouts.

HIIT isn't the same a Tabata protocol. HIIT can be done beyond 4 minutes. A correct Tabata protocol really can't. Again, we're speaking a full out sprint and how many can sprint full out for more than 4 minutes? In Tabata, by about the 3rd cycle, most people would be gassed and couldn't continue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I posted up a guy doing 16 X 250 sprints in his 60s at, roughly 600 plus watts. You obviously have no idea what 600 Watts feels like if you believe that's not all out for a 60 year old. We just have to agree to disagree. Younger rowers can generate nearly 800/900 Watts for many more reps than 4 minutes in short bursts.

Tabata himself has YouTube videos up -- the source himself, Dr Tabata -- that aren't nearly this hard. They look like calisthenics, just what you're telling people isn't Tabata!

Personally I haven't seen any videos of elite athletes doing Tabata protocol and what wattage they put out, so I have no idea what watt rating they are achieving. It would be great to find one to see comparisons. I have seen videos of elite bike sprinters putting out 1800-2000 watts, so I know it's gotta be damn hard.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That is an interesting question. I know some top rowers can produce well over 1000 Watts and more in shorter bursts. Pro Cyclists can hold 450 or so Watts for an hour, over 1500 for some super elite ones. I know that the Australian Olympic rower that set the Indoor World Record last year (I think) averaged around 750 Watts for 5:20 or so, which is just absolutely absurd. He did it as a "curtain call" of sorts before retiring. His teammates obviously tried to convince him to stay in competition after doing that feat of endurance.

A lady I know, pretty well-known in indoor rowing circles only, just set the over 60 Lgt WR for rowing a Marathon. She averaged 93% of max HR for the 3 plus hours it took her, shattering the old WR for lightweight females.

When people are extremely highly trained, their tolerance to lactic acid (and the ability to reuse it) is the limiting factor. Not reps or an obscure 4 minute timeframe made up by a scientist in Japan.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Tabata regimen[edit]

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Oh how convenient that the TdF is right now and that Strava exists.
    Here's Thomas De Gendt's race on Monday on Strava. His average power for over 5 hours was 244 watts... His max wattage that day was 1,196 and that was after hours of riding.

And this is why cyclists at professional/elite races need to eat so much food both on the bike and off because 5,100 calories on top of your regular caloric needs is a lot (I ran the numbers and I think he likely burned more like 4,550 calories but regardless, that's a lot). This is also why at some point I said that I think the people who these calorie calculations aided by power are most useful for are elite cyclists and the people who manage/take care of elite cyclists. I would imagine that this would actually be far harder to deal with for an elite level junior who is still growing. You've got the calories they're burning while on the bike and then their caloric need from being a growing teenager.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Tabata regimen[edit]

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Here's Thomas De Gendt's race on Monday on Strava. His average power for over 5 hours was 244 watts... His max wattage that day was 1,196 and that was after hours of riding.

And this is why cyclists at professional/elite races need to eat so much food both on the bike and off because 5,100 calories on top of your regular caloric needs is a lot (I ran the numbers and I think he likely burned more like 4,550 calories but regardless, that's a lot). This is also why at some point I said that I think the people who these calorie calculations aided by power are most useful for are elite cyclists and the people who manage/take care of elite cyclists. I would imagine that this would actually be far harder to deal with for an elite level junior who is still growing. You've got the calories they're burning while on the bike and then their caloric need from being a growing teenager.

That's just silly power. I can (barely) hold 240 Watts on the Assault Bike for an hour and can only hold around 190 on the rower for an hour when I'm my best shape. To hold that level for five hours is incredible. But that's why they are that elite! The kind of training that goes into that stamina is mind blowing.
  • aokoye
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Tabata regimen[edit]

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's just silly power. I can (barely) hold 240 Watts on the Assault Bike for an hour and can only hold around 190 on the rower for an hour when I'm my best shape. To hold that level for five hours is incredible. But that's why they are that elite! The kind of training that goes into that stamina is mind blowing.

Yeah it's stupid amounts of power and endurance that's for sure. And then doing that for 21 days with 2 rest days. Oh and then you also might crash and depending on how bad or not bad that crash is, manage to finish out the Tour despite that (thank god for massage therapists and team doctors). Or you could just be crazy (in a good and/or mildly unwise way) like Lawson Craddock last year and crash, end up with a hairline fracture in your scapula, and then manage to finish the TdF (raising thousands of dollars for a local velodrome in the process).

There's a really good 6 episode docu-series on Amazon (free with Amazon Prime) called Eat. Race. Win. that looks at what it takes to feed a team during the TdF. It's a good watch and doesn't include much if any pseudoscience. Logical given that pseudoscience and high level endurance sports with lots of money and glory on the line don't really go together. It makes you really appreciate how hard and tedious it is for the riders to eat enough and how much thought, labor, and specificity goes into feeding the athletes. In an alternate universe I would love to be a dietitian working with athletes at that level because it's absolutely fascinating.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    That would be awesome to work in that field. One PT I got close to (when my wife had her worst Fibro years ago) treated some really world famous athletes. He's been on the support team for a while for the American that just finished 3rd at Badwater (he's previously won it) from my home town. The support teams are becoming huge just to make one really world class, elite athlete.

Also, the fact that he could hit over 1000 Watts after 3 hours of riding is insane. I'd only hit 1000 Watts in my dreams! For that matter, anything close to 1000 Watts.
  • aokoye
    Options
    That would be awesome to work in that field. One PT I got close to (when my wife had her worst Fibro years ago) treated some really world famous athletes. He's been on the support team for a while for the American that just finished 3rd at Badwater (he's previously won it) from my home town. The support teams are becoming huge just to make one really world class, elite athlete.

Also, the fact that he could hit over 1000 Watts after 3 hours of riding is insane. I'd only hit 1000 Watts in my dreams! For that matter, anything close to 1000 Watts.

Nice, yeah I've been really lucky with all of my PTs after my four knee surgeries as well as both of my orthopedic surgeons. All of them worked elite athletes on a regular basis and the orthos both have been team doctors at different Summer Olympic games (one went to Beijing and the other to Rio). One of my former chiropractors (the only good chiro I ever had) also was one of the US team chiros in Beijing and was a chiropractor for a professional cycling team in the 90s that raced at major UCI races (including the TdF). Needless to say, I've gotten exceedingly lucky with orthos and PTs.

For a very short while I thought about becoming a PT with the goal of working primarily with elite athletes. Then I realized that I would, in all likelihood, primarily work with the average patient who has no desire to actually do their exercises (which I can commiserate with - see my shoulder injury of last late winter). I suspect that realization happened during a PT session where someone else in the PT gym was really not having it and appeared to have no desire to be there. I can remember this person pretty clearly despite it being over 6 years ago. It was a good decision because my current trajectory, education wise, is looking good, but one can dream.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I hit 1,142w on my lunch ride today.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3859086983

But 1 second power is pretty meaningless, I'm still slow. Was only 168w for the whole ride.
  • aokoye
    Options
    I hit 1,142w on my lunch ride today.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3859086983

But 1 second power is pretty meaningless, I'm still slow. Was only 168w for the whole ride.

Psst - if you're near Green Lake on Aug 3rd you should swing by and watch some of the regatta.