Workout plan frequency soreness and results

Options
I'm female 5'2 weight 148lbs deskjob, just started lifting heavy first week June doing mainly lower body leg/glutes because its a major concern and I have thick flabby butt and my upper body responds quickly and currently skinny. I work out Mon/Wed/Fri
My workout with weights at 8-12rep range and some pulses

Hip thrusts
Glute bridges
Stiff Leg Deadlifts
Romanian Deadlifts
Squats/Leg press
Hip abductors
Cable kickbacks

I'm always super exhausted and generally sore(not too sore) that I'm struggling to add cardio on other days, is it normal should I drop a workout day or workout? I'm eating between 1600-1800cals ....Also how long to see results or should I drop calories?

My goal is to have tight strong quads, lifted butt and smaller waist :smile:

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Taking it at face value, I think feeling fatigued enough such that you struggle to add cardio on off days is to be expected from that workout, especially if you are doing all that AND maintaining a calorie deficit.

Strong will come from the lifting...
    smaller will come from the calorie deficit...
    tight/lifted will come from the combination of lifting and calorie deficit.

So based on all that, I'd ask why you want/need to add cardio on your off days?

As far as how long it will be until you see results... that depends on a number of things and is almost impossible to say. If you are eating 1600-1800 cals per day, and if that is a calorie deficit for you, then trust the process because the math works. But those are a couple of big ifs that a lot of people have a hard time getting their arms around and being consistent about.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I loooove food and I want to add cardio so I don't have to reduce food calories from my current eating plan to cut a little more fat, my stomach is not getting any smaller and my weight hasn't dropped in a month
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Can you post the template for each day individually along with the percentage of 1rm or RPE you are performing for each lift? Also what kind of cardio at what exertion are you performing?
  • cherriegh
    Options
    This is my workout routine 3Xweekly only:

Hip thrusts
    Glute bridges
    Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    Romanian Deadlifts
    Squats/Leg press
    Hip abductors
    Cable kickbacks

I always stay in 6-10 rep range, if I go over 10reps I add weights, that's my method I don't have percentages. I'm not doing any cardio I want to add it but I can't add because I'm always exhausted day after weights
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Most heavy lifting programs are going to vary set/reps weekly (or cyclically) and generally consist of a deload week to help manage progressive overload effectively.

For example, my coach had me benching 3x10 for 5 weeks then 3x6 for 5 weeks with a deload or testing at week 11.

My deadlifting program is a 17 week program (starts with week 1 5x5@70ish percent of my training 1RM , week 2 5x3@75ish, week 3 5x1@80ish, deload week, week 5 5x4...etc.).

There's a thread on here with different lifting programs that have taken out all of the guesswork.
  • cherriegh
    Options
    Most heavy lifting programs are going to vary set/reps weekly (or cyclically) and generally consist of a deload week to help manage progressive overload effectively.

For example, my coach had me benching 3x10 for 5 weeks then 3x6 for 5 weeks with a deload or testing at week 11.

My deadlifting program is a 17 week program (starts with week 1 5x5@70ish percent of my training 1RM , week 2 5x3@75ish, week 3 5x1@80ish, deload week, week 5 5x4...etc.).

There's a thread on here with different lifting programs that have taken out all of the guesswork.

Thank you I've been at it for past 6weeks maybe its time to deload
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    cherriegh wrote: »
    I'm female 5'2 weight 148lbs deskjob, just started lifting heavy first week June doing mainly lower body leg/glutes because its a major concern and I have thick flabby butt and my upper body responds quickly and currently skinny. I work out Mon/Wed/Fri
    My workout with weights at 8-12rep range and some pulses

Hip thrusts
    Glute bridges
    Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    Romanian Deadlifts
    Squats/Leg press
    Hip abductors
    Cable kickbacks

I'm always super exhausted and generally sore(not too sore) that I'm struggling to add cardio on other days, is it normal should I drop a workout day or workout? I'm eating between 1600-1800cals ....Also how long to see results or should I drop calories?

My goal is to have tight strong quads, lifted butt and smaller waist :smile:

I feel your pain..Im 5'8, 137 (46 years old)and have been working out for about 3 mnths
    Within the last 3 mnths I started amping things up
    I alternate dance cardio, barre and HIIT-at least that is how its labeled on youtube (high intensity...jumping squats, lunges etc)

I had a hard time figuring out a routine initially... I have been working 2 days than taking a day off
    This week on Tuesday I did 50min HIIT (took an hour and 15min..breaks in between and lots of water)
    Yesterday I did one hour barre....
    I am forever sore.....I thought it was a good thing to change your routine and keep your muscles working/guessing...But I really don't want to feel sore forever..LOL

For me I find it hard to come up with a solid schedule to attain your goals and not feel Burnt out...
    Today is my off day but im itching to do a little something..LOL

Im consuming 1600 cals....like to be long lean tone up...
    could use advice...im going to follow this post to see what suggestions r are given

kim
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    There are a number of good programmes in this post (below). I would encourage you, as a beginner, to choose and follow one of these instead of making up a programme yourself. (If you have a trainer by all means follow their guidance).

If you like working in a slightly higher rep range I would have a look at the AllPro programme in that list (slight bias as it is the one that I follow). It has your progression and deloading built in which should help alleviate your exhaustion and soreness.
    Strong Curves may appeal to your lower body emphasis.

That being said, personally, I found that until I had a good couple of months of lifting under my belt, I had to back off my Pilates, aquafit, and other more cardio style workouts and stick to just a good easy walk on my alternate days, and make sure I had one day of rest.

Once I had adjusted to the lifting, and honed in on the extra cals required, I started to add back in my other activities.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If DOMs are a problem (rather than just a temporary annoyance)...
    1 - make sure you are training appropriately for your ability and your conditioning
    2 - make sure you are getting reasonable nutrition/macros from your diet.
    3 - make sure you are recovering effectively between workouts
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I suggest following a structured program, that also includes upper body, and has progression and load management built in.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    You should also incorporate higher amounts of protein after your workouts to help repair your muscles faster.

this