The olive oil problem

Options
2»

Replies

• floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Well I'm gonna have to check Amazon for a spritzer 'cause EVOO is a staple in my kitchen. Does anyone cook with any other oils-- avocado, truffle, coconut, etc? Will a spritzer work with those as well?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Avocado, yes. Not coconut, since it's not a liquid at room temperature, but that makes it easier to use just a bit in the first place.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Well I'm gonna have to check Amazon for a spritzer 'cause EVOO is a staple in my kitchen. Does anyone cook with any other oils-- avocado, truffle, coconut, etc? Will a spritzer work with those as well?

I cook with evoo, avocado, garlic and coconut oils. I keep my avocado oil in my spritzer. The only one you couldn't is coconut because it solidifies in cooler temps.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,608 Member
    Options
    Get a really good non stick pan. The new generation ceramic coated or stone coated ones work great. I even manage to make pancakes without any added oil in my stone coated skillet. Using a little oil does help things brown. You can get those oil sprayer bottles to fill with your own olive oil.

Classic vinaigrette is 3 parts olive oil to 1 part lemon or vinegar. Here are some lower fat salad dressings:

1 part nut oil (sesame, hazelnut or walnut), 1 part soy, 1 part balsamic.
    Buttermilk ranch using the smaller quantity of mayo and sour cream.
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ranch-dressing-recipe_n_3769342?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKLsQtZ5qQzL5NRsR1fIT2Qh519aJAXQ4k0BDQ1FnE-fKR4d8jXOaMJ7Uorzq-yXhJI9oGTChLiunK5sDtmK8clBgEB_mLjeCgrym9hzXRP9D5TtYh3bfEefh3rr7PInZVHknEVZiPzFMNEmabzI9iJJm0mi2Ghrqn8hfH-zL_tF
    SE Asian salad dressings contain no oil but do have sugar.
    https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/vietnamese-salad-dressing/231c5f62-3a53-4daa-b61d-cc7060e625aa
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I skip or massively scale down liquid oils, and have my fats as nuts, seeds, avocados and other foods. So my current favorite salad dressing is one I make with avocado instead of oil, and it's delicious! Lots of dishes that I used to start by sauteing an onion in oil, I now start by cooking the onion in a small bit of water. I still get the onion flavor.

As far as sweeteners -- I mostly consume sweets in the form of fruits and vegetables (thinking of things like butternut squash and sweet potato). Bananas and dates are both very sweet and work as sweeteners in a number of recipes.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    I only count it if I'm using as a dressing. If I'm cooking with it I don't bother as I don't think (by the looks of the pan) that much gets absorbed.

We don't really have low-calorie cooking sprays here in NZ.

How much oil gets absorbed depends a lot on cooking method and food being cooked. If you want to know how much oil is absorbed, you can put the pan plus oil on the scale before cooking, and then do it again after cooking--the difference will be how much oil was absorbed into your food.

You're not missing anything by not having cooking spray. Things that are marketed as "cooking spray" aren't really low calorie; they are just oil in a spray can. Companies can get away with marketing these things as low calorie because the stated serving size is a spray lasting a fraction of a second. In reality, most people use far more cooking spray than that, but they probably use less cooking spray than they would use liquid oil. If someone wanted to be *really* accurate, they could weigh a pan before and after spraying, and then enter that weight of oil.

I just bought an oil sprayer bottle, which accomplishes exactly the same thing without the extra expense and extra trash of disposable cooking spray cans.
  • brittanynicholex
    brittanynicholex Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    use an air fryer. don't need very much oil if any at all, and i have one that can fry/roast/reheat/dehydrate, was like $90 at walmart. my wonderful fiance got it for me for valentines day bc ive been asking for one for a while now. He loves it more than me I think.

I sometimes use it make our meats in (main chicken or pork, im too picky about steak to try it in there), and I add no oil to that, it comes out delicious and moist as long as I pull it out on time (sometimes I get busy with the kids or animals and let it go a few minutes to long). I often use it for potatoes as well, and it recommends like 2-3 tbsp oil to put on but I usually put less than 1 or sometimes skip it all together and they come out crisp. Made squash in it with no oil as well that was delicious. As for things like eggs, Ive switched to soft boiling those as it still gives me that nice gooey center that I like, and i find the white to be more enjoyable that way as well, and it eliminates the need for oil/butter/etc to fry them in the pan. z

Other than that, I suppose you could use less, but not sure if that would meet your requirements for whatever you're using it for.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Pam olive oil spray is the way I use small amounts of oil on hot pans for cooking stuff. With spray oil, I can get 1 or 2 grams in the pan, and those get logged.

The only things I need deep oil for are french fries and fried eggs.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    All oils -- olive, peanut, veggie, canola, whatever -- have about the same cals.

It's not something that I really worry about. In fact, I don't even measure it unless I'm making a dish where I think I'm actually going to consume the oil used to prepare it, as I would in salad dressing (which I don't use anyway).

If I grill or saute something I just toss some in the pan, cook whatever I'm cooking and drain off the excess oil which is almost all of the oil I used (including whatever fats melted away from the food).

Hasn't seem to make any difference in my logs and my prior weight loss and current maintenance efforts.
  • dkeofkfbdjsgdvfl
    dkeofkfbdjsgdvfl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started using a measuring spoon, and it looks like a stupid small amount with just 5ml in the pan, but it's usually enough. That and I've been using cooking spray.