Is this a thing? (losing more when eating more calories)

2»

Replies

• kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    nooboots wrote: »
    I dont understand that comment about a protein in the body kicking in and preventing fat loss.

You used the 'biggest loser' contestants as examples. But surely if they lost weight in the first place (before gaining it back), then surely this is not relevant to them as otherwise they wouldnt have lost weight if they had some protein preventing fat loss?
    he didn read with enough comprehension. Its a bout protein builded into cells of mice that prevents fat loss. Not protein intake that inhibit it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    No, it's not a thing. Science is a thing and there's no way around energy balance. What trips up many people is how incredibly inaccurate we can be in our efforts to calculate/track/manage/evaluate our own energy balance for the sake of weight control.

Another thing that trips people up is that fluctuations in water weight and the weight of food passing through our digestive systems can easily, in the short term, mask the small amount of actual body mass (fat + lean body mass) that you can lose in a day or a week.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,387 Member
    Not mentioned yet, but over-restricting often is combined with eating very little fat. Eating fat gets things moving in the digestive system. Eat more fat, and you're more likely to go to the loo. This could result in a 'weight loss'.
  • TallGent66
    TallGent66 Posts: 84 Member
    edited July 2019
    Evil Hollywood? I only caught 1 or 2 episodes ... agreed, completely unrealistic excercise and eating models ... no way to replicate at home.

Could they be taught how to eat 2,000 CPD, at home, not eating chef-cooked meals? Shown how to excercise at home or the local gym, unsupervised?
  • TallGent66
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    TallGent66 wrote: »
    Evil Hollywood? I only caught 1 or 2 episodes ... agreed, completely unrealistic excercise and eating models ... no way to replicate at home.

Could they be taught how to eat 2,000 CPD, at home, not eating chef-cooked meals? Shown how to excercise at home or the local gym, unsupervised?

Sure, but it would make for really boring TV for the viewers at home . . . and interfere with some such viewers' perception that weight loss inevitably requires unimaginably punitive measures in penance for one's previous sins of overeating. Short-circuiting your viewers' perception of powerlessness by introducing reality into reality TV . . . that isn't going to make some of them very happy, or keep watching.

Call me cynical . . . . ;)

You mean like 90 Day Fiance? Where nerdy, aging Americans instantly fall in love with hot, or semi hot foreigners with tempers or severe attitudes, get married in 90 days, ... and then if blows up? Surprised?

No courtship. No reasonable expectations. No conflict resolution.
  • justanotherjenn
    justanotherjenn Posts: 64 Member

Sure, but it would make for really boring TV for the viewers at home . . . and interfere with some such viewers' perception that weight loss inevitably requires unimaginably punitive measures in penance for one's previous sins of overeating. Short-circuiting your viewers' perception of powerlessness by introducing reality into reality TV . . . that isn't going to make some of them very happy, or keep watching.

You mean like 90 Day Fiance? Where nerdy, aging Americans instantly fall in love with hot, or semi hot foreigners with tempers or severe attitudes, get married in 90 days, ... and then if blows up? Surprised?

No chances of it ever working.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member

You mean like 90 Day Fiance? here nerdy, aging Americans instantly fall in love with hot, or semi hot foreigners with tempers or severe attitudes, get married in 90 days, ... and then if blows up? Surprised?

Hmm. I don't watch that, never heard of it. I don't watch Biggest Loser, either, though I've seen some episodes from its first seasons. Don't even own a working TV, and haven't for several years (and no, don't stream TV shows on other devices). It doesn't take much experience to believe the mass viewing audience would be bored by a TV show that showed people how to eat a sensible amount, and exercise in a sensible way.

Back in the day, I used to watch a PBS show (Zonya's Health Bites) that told people how to eat a sensible amount of healthy food, how to cook it, etc. . . . AFAIK, it didn't have a massive, commercial-network-style audience. Pretty good show, though.

• TallGent66

You mean like 90 Day Fiance? here nerdy, aging Americans instantly fall in love with hot, or semi hot foreigners with tempers or severe attitudes, get married in 90 days, ... and then if blows up? Surprised?

Hmm. I don't watch that, never heard of it. I don't watch Biggest Loser, either, though I've seen some episodes from its first seasons. Don't even own a working TV, and haven't for several years (and no, don't stream TV shows on other devices). It doesn't take much experience to believe the mass viewing audience would be bored by a TV show that showed people how to eat a sensible amount, and exercise in a sensible way.

Back in the day, I used to watch a PBS show (Zonya's Health Bites) that told people how to eat a sensible amount of healthy food, how to cook it, etc. . . . AFAIK, it didn't have a massive, commercial-network-style audience. Pretty good show, though.

I have some old unbreakable dinnerware from the 70s in storage ... the bowls and cups are 50% smsller than what is used today.

I visited friends in Cologne, Germany years ago. We went to the movies, got popcorn. A littld paper tube like we had in the 60s... no extra butter, no jalapeno salt. About 1/20th of what is in our Tub.
  • TallGent66

No chances of it ever working.

There is one cute couple, she is from Central America, had a baby. An older white giy and his Asian bride seem happy.

No. Not practical.