Friend making unwise choices

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends is working to lose some weight (she's done it many years ago, so not her first go-around), and I'm really struggling to keep my mouth shut and be supportive when I know the choices she's making are a) unsafe/unhealthy, b) not sustainable, and c) things I know she won't stick with.

I really want to be supportive as I'm working on myself as well, and I know she could use the support. She is obese (upwards of 300+ pounds, F, ~42, ~5'9"). She is trying to limit herself to 1200 calories (or less) and trying to add in exercise at the same time.

On the one hand I totally get that she's made up her mind and she wants the weight gone, but I also can see that in the past she went from overweight, to obese, to tiny (claims a size 4), and back to obese in a matter of years. She's my friend and I care about her health and that she feels good, both inside and outside, and I know her choices are setting her up for failure.

Besides gentle hints (she's made it clear she doesn't want my advice), have you had success helping someone make wiser choices? I'm thinking of finding some articles that could pertain to both of us, from actual experts, as suggested reading (as in, "hey, I read this great article, thought it might interest you, too") but otherwise don't really have any great ideas on how to be super supportive without condoning what she's doing....

Well, her PLAN is to lose weight rather quickly, but reality may interfere. As you know from reading the forums, people are terrible at calculating how much they eat and many are eating more than they think. Also, the honeymoon period could fade quickly.

She may drop a lot of weight initially, especially water weight in the first week, but I wouldn't start worrying unless she is still sustaining rapid weight loss a month or so in, at which point you could drop this on her:

What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Quite honestly I'd mind my own business. 1200 calories a day is fine and who cares if she's always exercising. Where do you think you are?

I'm not quite clear...

What do you really think about all this?
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Ya, that's pretty much where I'm at, but she wants me to be her support system, which I've already agreed to do, and I know she could use a support system. I'll give it some time and see if things level out a bit, even if her dedication is through the roof I would think things will tend to level out and I'll just do my best to help her keep from rebounding when the time comes.

It’s almost impossible to be a support system for someone when you two are not aligned on the plan! I hope she doesn’t rely on you alone for her support, because the motivation and willpower has to come from her, otherwise it’s not sustainable.

I would gently back away from the “sole support system and advice-giver” role and just be there in a more listening-and-non-judging role. If she talks about how tough things are and about how she’s wavering, reassure her, remind her about the big picture and that she’s come a long way and not to sweat the small stuff. remind her that you care about her. But if she has said she doesn’t want to take specific advice, no need to offer it, or get into the nitty gritty of what she might be doing wrong.

If you’re like me and you can’t stand seeing someone make the same mistakes over and over again, back off a little bit from that aspect of their life (dieting/weight management) and focus more on other health-unrelated activities where the two of you can enjoy hanging out together.

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You’ve outlined your concerns. She’s chosen to ignore you. Her body. Her life. She can make bad decisions if she likes. Not much more you can do.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    TLDR, but her approach sounds fine and you can support her in many ways that don’t include advice. Offer to cook or meal plan together, go for walks, take a neutrino or healthy cooking class.
  • ketsuban25
    ketsuban25 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. My husband doesn't track anything and sometimes estimates he only ate 600 calories on some days. He also weighs himself multiple times a day and freaks out when he gains a pound even when I tell him it's food and water. I have tried to reason with him but it falls on deaf ears. All you can do is be there for her if she fails.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Here’s what you do...you say nothing and keep doing the healthier plan that you’re on for the long-run. Let’s say she sticks to the 1200 and doesn’t eat back her deficit giving her 900-1000 or less calories a day to function. What’s going to happen is she’s going to completely burn out and stop her plan very quickly—or she’s going to be prone to binging when weak, tired, and hungry and not see the results she wants.

When she sees you’re getting results and maintaining—she’ll likely then ask for advice...but we learn best from failure—so you gotta let her try it her way and likely fail. Focus on being the role model she needs right now!
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    IsETHome wrote: »
    One of my best friends is working to lose some weight (she's done it many years ago, so not her first go-around), and I'm really struggling to keep my mouth shut and be supportive when I know the choices she's making are a) unsafe/unhealthy, b) not sustainable, and c) things I know she won't stick with.

I really want to be supportive as I'm working on myself as well, and I know she could use the support. She is obese (upwards of 300+ pounds, F, ~42, ~5'9"). She is trying to limit herself to 1200 calories (or less) and trying to add in exercise at the same time.

On the one hand I totally get that she's made up her mind and she wants the weight gone, but I also can see that in the past she went from overweight, to obese, to tiny (claims a size 4), and back to obese in a matter of years. She's my friend and I care about her health and that she feels good, both inside and outside, and I know her choices are setting her up for failure.

Besides gentle hints (she's made it clear she doesn't want my advice), have you had success helping someone make wiser choices? I'm thinking of finding some articles that could pertain to both of us, from actual experts, as suggested reading (as in, "hey, I read this great article, thought it might interest you, too") but otherwise don't really have any great ideas on how to be super supportive without condoning what she's doing....

A lot of people gasp at 1200, but I've been doing that for about 6 months ranging between 1000-1400 with the exercise. I've learned my metabolism is quite slow - I'm also in my 40's. Anything over about 1600 I gain weight. I've lost close to 40 lbs over 7 months, have logged every day - I work with a nutritionist, and get my labs done. My body is quite healthy now - I do water exercise only pretty much 4 times a week, my life is typically sedentary. Sooo, yes 1200 can be done badly based on choices (I have very little liquid calories, majority is food I need - an occasional splurge of chocolate or tortilla chips), but it can also be done properly, based on nutritional selections. I'd recommend that you support her and encourage her to work with a nutritionist who specializes in weight loss. However if your friend is working out every day for 2-3 hours, yes she will not have the calories likely she needs.

Please keep in mind that height and current weight also height factor into your burned calories per day...The poster’s friend is tall and currently over 300 pounds...that could make a huge difference in the calories burned each day simply by functioning that might be very different from you. Just based on statistics, that much of a deficit based on what is described sounds unable to be maintained and potentially harmful.

Perhaps at your current weight and height that’s not as dramatic as a deficit. Also keep in mind that she’s not likely working with a nutritionist...

So if she’s taller, weights more than you, is planning to be active, and doesn’t have a nutritionist, 1000-1400 is not realistic and likely harmful in the long term.
  • KungfuPandin
    KungfuPandin Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm doing a psych degree and doing a unit specifically about heath and behaviour change with eating and exercise as the major focus.. it is extremely interesting to me right now. I'm also making healthier choices and trying to change myself. I've lost well over 30kg in 7years from adopting small changes little by little. I've kept off this weight. BUT like you I have a friend who is obese and she is constantly dieting doing extreme things which bother me at both the personal level and the intellectual level. I don't see how this will change her weight and sadly it never actually does..her measures are nearly always too extreme, she changes too many things at once and whilst her motivation is high at the begining, she looses interest and is back off track. I'm always supporting her in the fallout phase of the failed attempts. It's very frustrating to be part of this cycle. I just keep on saying to her that I will support her, that I value her friendship, that I honor her choices and I respect her and I also emphasize that I can help her when she is ready and I have useful skills and advice at her disposal. I talk a bit about what I'm doing in my psych degree, where the research is at, what psychological tools are used... but the eyes glaze over 🤣. She's not interested. She is very determined to do everything her way. Has always been that way.
    It's really frustrating because she chooses these fad diets that are based upon little scientific evidence and I find myself yelling inside my head.. two things get to me about it. 1. My friend is in an unhealthy cycle of behaviour and I care about her and 2. Bad science really irritates me. She is really intelligent as well. She is a mathematics lecturer. It's frustrating. As you can see, I have no real advice for you. I'm in the same boat. Offering solidarity and hoping our friends will break out of these patterns one day..
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I'd get this thread deleted, then tell her about this super online weight management community that you really want her to be friends with you on, because it's another place to enjoy the pleasure of her company.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that this will sound a bit harsh; but, I would disengage to less than full and immediate support status.

If I am not on-board with a program, if I can't make myself a believer, then I can't in good conscience offer full-on, cheering, support for something I don't believe in.

Doesn't mean I won't listen as a, generally supportive, friend, when things don't go well; but, I can not and will not make myself act as a major support pillar for something I don't believe in.