Whole-of-Life Challenge

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    @Machka9 - No fair getting the flu so late in the season (this is the time of the year where I'm coming out of hibernation, so getting hit with a sickness would seriously impinge upon my seasonal joy) but I guess at least you had some holiday time to rest and recover. So at least there's that! Hope you're feeling better now!

@MadisonMolly2017 - I retired early for my health, too. My work was sapping my soul and making me physically sick, so I abandoned ship. There are challenges to being retired too - like keeping yourself productive and challenged - but I'm not sorry I retired. Best decision ever!

It's late autumn so the flu season is a little bit early! Funny thing was that I was just about to get a flu shot. Now I have to wait till next week when I'm fully recovered.

• Machka9
    edited May 2019
    *** Wellness ***

eight-dimensions-wellness1.jpg

The chart above shows 8 dimensions of wellness, but I've thought about them expanded them out ...

Exercise - I do a variety of things regularly.

Eating - I'm trying to eat a generally healthy diet and keep my weight down.

Health - I'm working with health professionals to address various issues before they become big issues.

Sleep - This I could work on.

Learning - I'm in uni going for my Master's Degree.

Work - I'm still working fulltime, taking on more tasks, learning new things.

Involvement - I'm president, communications officer, and ride organiser for one of our local cycling clubs.

Recreation - We go to the symphony and plays, we travel and exercise, of course.

Creativity - My creative hobby is photography.

Preparation - We're getting there. We've got wills and are making preparations for retirement and injury or illness.

Environment - We're slowly organising the house and making attempts to simplify things.

Family - Good relationship with my family.

Spirituality - YES!!

Alcohol & Smoking - NOPE!!

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    This thread, by the way: Even if nobody ever reads what you wrote, or if it's been a while since you posted, it still feels good just to get this stuff out into the universe... <3

@jenilla1 I love your post so much!

It's so great to think things through oneself, and be inspired and comforted by others and how they deal with life.
  • Orphia
    Had a molar tooth extracted on Tuesday, which was rather traumatic even though I'm not scared of dentists at all. Haven't had any painkillers for 24 hours, but what I'd needed the first 24 is still making me feel foggy and vague.

Relaxation - sleeping better. Not using my phone in the middle of the night when I wake up. Instead, making lists or drawing or light reading, which usually tires me again easily, instead of keeping me awake longer.

Exercise - still regular, just not running as far due to needing to rejuvenate and rest for a bit.

Alcohol usage - what's that?

Creativity - fantastic.

Home - getting better all the time.

Work - had 2 days off due to my tooth extraction, and we didn't fall to pieces.

Eating in moderation - Might have been eating a little more than maintenance as my weight is at the top of my goal range, but I think a lot of it might be due to stress, TOM, and healing.

Learning - been loving my NYT subscription. Also doing lots of Googling for primary sources of information.

Life!- very good. Made a huge realisation about myself on the weekend, and told my other half about something terrible that happened in the past that has been hugely influential to my personality that he never knew about and that I'd never told anyone. I sobbed more than I've ever cried in years, and it feels awesome to have told him and have his sympathy. Discussed it with my psychologist this morning and got so many great ideas for all sorts of life stuff! :smile:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited May 2019
    Machka9 wrote: »
    *** Wellness ***

eight-dimensions-wellness1.jpg

Uh-oh. I'm in trouble according to this chart.

I'm solid on the financial and physical fronts. I'm not too bad with intellectual and spiritual stuff. Occupationally, environmentally and emotionally I'm OK, but could use some attention and maybe some change/development. But socially I'm a little isolated since retiring. I have family and an awesome spouse, but friends have fallen by the wayside. I guess I could use some work in a few areas. Things to think about...

edited: I think I need spiritual work as well. If spiritual well-being is defined by a sense of purpose and meaning (and not by faith) then you can put my spirituality in the "needs work" category.
  • jenilla1
    Orphia wrote: »
    ...Life!- very good. Made a huge realisation about myself on the weekend, and told my other half about something terrible that happened in the past that has been hugely influential to my personality that he never knew about and that I'd never told anyone. I sobbed more than I've ever cried in years, and it feels awesome to have told him and have his sympathy. Discussed it with my psychologist this morning and got so many great ideas for all sorts of life stuff! :smile:

Feels good to get things off your chest! I'm happy for you! <3
  • Machka9
    edited May 2019
    Machka9 wrote:

Sleep - This I could work on.

I've made quite the discovery just recently.

I have been struggling with sore, red eyes especially first thing in the morning. And I've been struggling with waking up feeling like I've just cycled a century rather than sleeping.

I've tried different things ...
    -- drops in my eyes when I wake up
    -- no coffee after 5 pm
    -- chamomile tea in the evening
    -- putting on relaxing music late in the evening before bed and turning down the lights
    -- reading something relaxing before I fall asleep
    -- a sleep monitor that records what I do in the night ... maybe I do get up and ride a century! :lol:

The drops in the morning helped a bit, the relaxing techniques ensured I fell asleep within about 5 minutes, and the sleep monitor revealed I snore a little right at the beginning of the night but then seem to sleep all right.

The other night, about 10 days ago, I was dozing off and somewhere in between that wake and sleep state when I suddenly felt like my eyes weren't entirely closed. Then I got to wondering ... am I sleeping with my eyes slightly open? It is a thing. It does happen to some people.

One of the simplest solutions for that is to put drops in the eyes before bed and to wear an eye mask at night. So I went out and got a lightweight one. That night ... drops in the eyes, eye mask on ... and I had one of the better night's sleeps I've had in a while! Plus my eyes were less red and sore and I was less puffy around the eyes.

I've gone to a bigger, heavier eye mask and have slept with it two nights now. So far, I like it better.

Who would have thought that a simple eye mask would make such a difference!

But there is evidence that blocking out the light can help.
    https://www.sleepfoundation.org/articles/earplugs-and-eye-masks-help-promote-sleep

https://thesleepdoctor.com/2016/10/31/5-serious-medical-conditions-linked-nighttime-light-exposure/

• Orphia
    Relaxation - Good, finally!

Exercise - Did a 22 km run yesterday, and felt great today.

Alcohol usage - None.

Creativity - Daily.

Home - Very organised! Ticking off lots of jobs.

Work - Incredibly busy. End of financial year is always crazy, but I realised as well that I'm doing the job of 2 people and need to offload some pointless tasks.

Eating in moderation - Great!

Learning - Never stops! No official courses, but just lots of reading of scientific studies, annual reports, statistics.

Life! - Feeling good.

Of note: Instead of 2 sleepless hours during some nights tossing and turning or reading on my iPad, I sit up for less than an hour and write lists and notes in a notebook. Productivity is going crazy, and Garmin said my sleep habits are great! Stress levels have gone down, and lots less aches and pains (also helped by sleeping without any pillows to annoy me). Thinking of how to organise things helps me feel tired again more quickly.

@Machka9 That's so interesting! In summer I was wearing a buff (tube of fabric that is sort of kerchief/headband alternative) to cover my eyes and ears while sleeping. (I like having my ears covered in bed, even on warm nights.)

I found I didn't want to stop wearing it. I love how it makes my eyelids feel heavy.

• Orphia
    Pretty much the same as last week! All good.

This week's lunches:

eqxir8zsgsmx.jpeg

500g Pulse pasta from Aldi (made of chick peas, borlotti beans, red lentil flour)
    40g Edamame
    Small tin of salmon
    250g Diced pumpkin
    250 g spinach
    Tomato & garlic pasta sauce
    Green peppercorns
    Parmesan on top added after photo taken.

Proud of some sewing I've done this week.

:smile: I mended my rainbow-coloured wheat bag cover.

:smile: I raised the hem of the net curtains in my bedroom.

:heart: And I'm really happy I did this embroidery on a little black singlet dress from a drawing I made of a photo I took during a half marathon in a wind farm in November.

xpeu9i6tcsm0.jpeg
  • Orphia
    Here's a post to quote so you can quickly edit and add your update more easily:

Relaxation -

Exercise -

Alcohol usage -

Creativity -

Home -

Work -

Eating in moderation -

Learning -

Life! -

• Machka9
    edited June 2019
    *** Wellness ***

g6foyjkjg7v2.png

The chart above shows 7 dimensions of wellness, but I've thought about them expanded them out ...

Emotional
    Recreation - We go to the symphony and plays, we travel and exercise, of course. These things do help relieve stress and maintain an element of normality in our lives. I just checked and we don't seem to have any of these things on the calendar for June. Exercise of course, but no entertainment or travel planned. That might be OK for this month. :)

Financial & Occupational
    Preparation - We're getting there. We've got wills and are making preparations for retirement and injury or illness. This area is on my list during my break from uni. Lots to do.

Work - I'm still working fulltime, taking on more tasks, learning new things. Extremely busy month ahead and may be some long days.

Intellectual
    Learning - I'm in uni going for my Master's Degree. But I've now got about 6 weeks off uni ... a nice, much needed break. Oh ... almost 6 weeks off. I do have a final exam in a little under 2 weeks. Mustn't forget that! It is on my calendar. :wink:

Creativity - My creative hobby is photography ... which I don't do nearly enough.

Spiritual
    Spirituality - YES!!

Social
    Family - Good relationship with my family.

Involvement - I'm president, communications officer, and ride organiser for one of our local cycling clubs. We just finished organising and running an event, and thankfully my next event doesn't come up till October. However, I do need to get on top of what's involved in the job of president over the winter.

The local brain injury association has also dropped a hint that there might be room for more involvement by me.

Environmental
    Environment - We're slowly organising the house and making attempts to simplify things. During the next 6 weeks off, I'll be doing quite a lot of this. I've got to go through my clothes, toiletries, etc. for a start. And then organise my home office ...

Health - I'm working with health professionals to address various issues before they become big issues. Three different physiotherapists!

Physical
    Exercise - I do a variety of active things regularly. See exercise goals below.

Sleep - I am working on this. I have created a "cocoon of silence" that seems to be working reasonably well. I didn't anticipate it would be as comfortable as it is.

Exercise Goals
    Review ... (Distances include cycling + walking + a bit of rowing)
    Mar-15 … 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min
    Apr-15 … 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min
    May-15 … 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    Jun-15 … 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-15 … 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    Aug-15 … 211.3 km (131.3 miles) = 28 hours 8 min
    Sep-15 … 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Oct-15 … 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Nov-15 … 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Dec-15 … 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Jan-16 … 864.79 km (537.35 miles) = 65 hours 36 min
    Feb-16 … 470.53 km (292.4 miles) = 40 hours 39 min
    Mar-16 … 917.73 km (570.2 miles) = 66 hours 13 min
    Apr-16 … 417.83 km (259.6 miles) = 40 hours 23 min
    May-16 … 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min
    Jun-16 … 552.1 km (343 miles) = 54 hours 48 min
    Jul-16 … 709 km (440.5 miles) = 60 hours 41 minutes
    Aug-16 … 775.9 km (482.1 miles) = 54 hours 52 minutes
    Sep-16 … 371.3 km (230.7 miles) = 32 hours 20 min
    Oct-16 … 649 km (403.3 miles) = 49 hours 46 min
    Nov-16 … 403 km (250.4 miles) = 52 hours 16 min
    Dec-16 … 511.05 km (317.55 miles) = 52 hours 2 min
    Jan-17 … 741.9 km (461.0 miles) = 70 hours 3 min
    Feb-17 … 600.5 km (373.1 miles) = 57 hours 30 min
    Mar-17 … 1113.2 km (691.7 miles) = 78 hours 25 min
    Apr-17 … 1181.9 km (734.4 miles) = 76 hours 45 min
    May-17 … 426.6 km (265.1 miles) = 39 hours 21 min
    Jun-17 … 575.7 km (357.7 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-17 … 714 km (443.7 miles) = 52 hours 23 min
    Aug-17 … 475.8 km (295.6 miles) = 38 hours 41 min
    Sep-17 … 455.5 km (283 miles) = 41 hours 25 min
    Oct-17 … 647.1 km (402.1 miles) = 57 hours 19 min
    Nov-17 … 427.0 km (265.3 miles) = 50 hours 4 min
    Dec-17 … 553.5 km (343.9 miles) = 52 hours 12 min
    Jan-18 … 590.2 km (366.7 miles) = 57 hours 49 min
    Feb-18 … 826.9 km (513.8 miles) = 57 hours 35 min
    Mar-18 … 582.01 km (361.6 miles) = 50 hours 11 min
    Apr-18 … 176.23 km (109.5 miles) = 29 hours 47 min
    May -18 … 167.6 km (104.1 miles) = 29 hours 08 min
    June-18 … 349.9 km (217.4 miles) = 36 hours 58 minutes
    July-18 ... 324.2 km (201.5 miles) = 24 hours 26 minutes
    Aug-18 ... 210.1 km (130.6 miles) = 25 hours 59 minutes
    Sep-18 ... 261.7 km (162.6 miles) = 25 hours 11 minutes
    Oct-18 ... 230.8 km (143.4 miles) = 30 hours 15 minutes
    Nov-18 ... 216.8 km (134.7 miles) = 30 hours 3 minutes
    Dec-18 ... 285.2 km (177.2 miles) = 37 hours 49 minutes
    Jan-19 ... 241.6 km (150.1 miles) = 27 hours 2 minutes
    Feb-19 ... 175.5 km (109 miles) = 19 hours 8 minutes
    Mar-19 ... 170.3 km (105.8 miles) = 28 hours 21 minutes
    Apr-19 ... 160.3 km (99.6 miles) = 25 hours 4 minutes
    May-19 ... 164.0 km (101.9 miles) = 29 hours 10 minutes

Goal: More than May!!

Saturday, 1 June 2019 … 1.0 km walking + 32.3 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs

2019 Monthly May
    Walking Distance (km): 1.0
    Walking Time (min): 12.5
    Cycling Distance (km): 32.3
    Cycling Time (min): 102.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Number: 0.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Time (min): 0.0
    Rowing Distance (km): 0.0
    Rowing Time (min): 0.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 33.3
    Total Distance (miles): 20.7
    Total Time (min): 114.5
    Total Time (hr): 1:54:28
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,960 Member
    Relaxation - ♥️♥️♥️ need more sleep

Exercise - ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️ great

Creativity - ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️ amazing! Daily for hours

Home - ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️ organized, pleasant

Eating in moderation - ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️ Yes! Better & better- learned to leave food on plate

Learning - ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️ always!!

Life! - ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️ is grand!
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Exercise - Trying to add exercise into my life again slowly, but still not 100% so just a little walking and yoga when I am able to

Eating - I'm trying to eat cleaner food, but mainly cutting out the junk food

Health - I've been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and a couple of other issues I'm under investigation for. I'm trying to learn to be kinder to myself as I can no longer do what I was doing and that's frustrating

Sleep - I either sleep too much or not enough, so I'm trying to get a balance of 7.5 hrs sleep most nights

Learning - I'm currently doing my dissertation for my counselling with children & young people degree

Work - I work as an administrator for a children's charity & part time as a therapist with young people (mainly)

Involvement - Not at present, as I have no energy to participate at present

Recreation - I love going to live music gigs, the theatre, going for walks with friends (when I can), going out to eat

Creativity - I love painting, photography and crocheting, but have let all this slip lately

Environment - We moved into our new home just over a year ago, so we are slowly, updating the house as we go and getting it as we want, we finally have a lovely garden , so that takes time taking care of that. I like to have a good de-cluttering session twice a year, to keep on top of things

Family - I have a lovely husband & we're pretty close to both our families and do a lot of things with them

Alcohol & Smoking - I gave up smoking at least 7 years ago & due to my health issues and the medication I'm on I don't drink now either, when I do I only have about 2 glasses at most, not a big drinker as I've gotten older
  • Orphia
    Relaxation -

Exercise -

Alcohol usage -

Creativity -

Home -

Work -

Eating in moderation -

Learning -

Life! -
  • Orphia
    edited June 2019
    Relaxation - Did 15 hours of mountain hiking on the weekend which was wonderful and all went well, so a nice relaxing week planned this week.

Exercise - See above.

Alcohol usage - None for over 16 months.

Creativity - Great.

Home - All tidy after a very busy week/weekend for us both.

Work - Under control.

Eating in moderation - Great.

Learning - Always wanting to do more.

Life! - Great.

Today after the hiking event, another event came to fruition that I'd started planning in September 2017, which had involved lots of planning, research, communication, paperwork, and confidentiality, and has made a special person incredibly happy. And now I'm so happy I've cried a couple of times.
  • jenilla1

Life! - Just completed an epic road trip with my awesome husband and adorable dog, camping along the way. Went up the coast of California, across the top, and down the Eastern Sierras back home to SoCal. So much awesomeness. What a beautiful state. Can't wait for the next adventure!

Relaxation - Just did it!

Exercise - Lots of hiking and mountain biking.

Alcohol usage - Not a thing for me.

Creativity - Not so much...

Home - Yard work needs some attention.

Work - Still retired...

Eating in moderation - Getting it done.

Learning - On our road trip, we went a lot of places we'd never been before, and learned a ton of interesting stuff about our state.

• Orphia
    Relaxation - Must. Relax. More.

Exercise - Sustainable and maintaining.

Alcohol usage - None.

Creativity - Great. Drawing, designing, sewing.

Home - Great. Doing lots of maintenance and redecorating, and helping my other half with painting a room.

Work - Probably the most stressful it's been in my life. Feel like I'm in control there, but worried my 5-6 hours sleep in short bursts is not enough.

Eating in moderation - Great. Been within my goal range for over 3 years.

Learning - Lots! Doing a FutureLearn course: "Fashion's Future: The Sustainable Development Goals". Have a 280+ day streak going in Duolingo. My clarity scares me at times. I go to read what a thinker I admire is saying, and I see errors in logic.

Life! - Loving my volunteer work with running and art. Was also made admin of our local War on Waste page recently. Lots happening that's so positive.
  • Orphia
    Sleeping better this week. Yay!
  • jenilla1
    Orphia wrote: »
    Sleeping better this week. Yay!

Well, at least that makes one of us! :D

I'm having some anxiety lately, and that can pretty much take over my "whole-of-life" if I don't get it reined in before it becomes a habit. Therefore, my whole of life challenge for the rest of this month is to get myself back into a peaceful, more neutral state. It's a lot of work, but I know what I need to do and I'm gonna get it done!
  • Machka9
    *** Wellness ***

g6foyjkjg7v2.png

The chart above shows 7 dimensions of wellness, but I've thought about them expanded them out ...

Emotional
    Recreation - My husband and I go to the symphony and plays, we travel and exercise, of course. These things do help relieve stress and maintain an element of normality in our lives. We were fortunate to be able to take 4 days at the beginning of July and spend them at a favourite place of ours owned by a favourite cat.

Financial & Occupational
    Preparation - We're getting there. We've got wills and are making preparations for retirement and injury or illness. This is a big area on my list given my husband's situation. Lots to do.

Work - I'm still working fulltime, taking on more tasks, learning new things. Continued extreme busy-ness ahead and maybe some long days.

Intellectual
    Learning - I'm in uni going for my Master's Degree ... one course a time. This semester's course is Human Computer Interaction. More on that below.

Creativity - My creative hobby is photography ... which I don't do nearly enough.

Spiritual
    Spirituality - YES!!

Social
    Family - Good relationship with my family, fortunately.

I'm also my husband's carer since he had a workplace accident on March 22, 2018 which resulted in a severe brain injury. He has made a remarkable recovery given the severity of the injury, but still has many issues including things like epilepsy, memory loss and cognition difficulties, weak left leg, lack of smell and taste, and so on. Our weeks are full of appointments.

Involvement - I'm president, communications officer, and ride organiser for one of our local cycling clubs. And I do need to get on top of what's involved in the job of president over the winter!! We've just had our ride planning meeting for the upcoming season. That went well, so now I need to get the details of "my" rides together.

The local brain injury association has also dropped a hint that there might be room for more involvement by me.

Environmental
    Environment - We're slowly organising the house and making attempts to simplify things. I'm working madly on my half of the dressing room.

Health - I'm working with health professionals to address various issues before they become big issues. Three different physiotherapists!

Physical
    Exercise - I do a variety of active things regularly ... just about daily. Pilates, Rowing, Walking, Cycling ...

Sleep - I have created a "cocoon of silence" that seems to be working quite well. Most nights I sleep deeply. I didn't anticipate it would be as comfortable as it is.

Regarding my course, Human Computer Interaction, I'm thinking of using something like the "7 dimensions of wellness" for my project. :grin: