Whole-of-Life Challenge

Options

Replies

• znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Well done on the 12 km run. That is impressive. I hope you figure out your source of your neck/shoulder pain.

I feel like I have taken my first step into the Whole-of-Life challenge. I keep rechecking my list and checking things off. The key will be keeping with it when I am feeling overwhelmed. I was supposed to be on vacation this week but had to cancel to stay and take care of my mother. My husband went without me and was walking on the beach this morning while I was walking on the treadmill at home. :) I am only working half time this week which is giving me time to catch up on much needed paperwork and clutter at home. Right now I would rather be here and having some time to make order out of chaos. It is all good and I am grateful for cell phones so I can always stay in touch with my husband regardless of where he is.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @znaoiec Great management, and thanks!

I saw the doctor on Monday, and it turns out it wasn't stress causing my neck/shoulder pain, but swimming!

I was swimming freestyle, and I breathe only on one side. Need to improve on that!

• Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I like the sound of this challenge.

1, Alcohol a maximum of two days a week except Christmas week
    2, Run half marathon distance for the first time since my surgery
    3, Log every day not just when I can be bothered
    4. Finish off all the DIY jobs around the house
    5. Keep in touch with family at least once a month

I completed number 2, kept up on number 3

Rest, must do better B)
  • Orphia
    Options

Rest, must do better B)

Bravo on your half marathon!!! <3 Nice to hear that.

Great work logging!

Have you checked out the Less Alcohol - One Day at A Time thread in Challenges? We have a great list of tips in the OP we've compiled.

Keeping in touch with family is definitely something I've worked on this year. I realised I was creating a mental block for myself, and switched to texting/massaging random bits of good news to my sisters whenever they happened. I started treating them as friends rather than obligations. Our relationships feel so much better. We've also spent more time with each other and had some significant and inspiring conversations.

Do you have much time off work over Christmas? Rest sounds good!

• Orphia
    Options
    Relaxation: Better. This is what will get attention after holidays start on Thursday night.
    Exercise: Maintaining.
    Alcohol usage: None. Great.
    Creativity: Maintaining.
    Home: Maintaining.
    Work: Great.
    Eating in moderation: Great.
    Learning: Maintaining.
    Life: Good.
  • znaoiec
    Options
    @Orphia Nice work! Is the neck and shoulder feeling any better?

@Runaroundafieldx2 Great job with the marathon especially coming off of surgery!

My check in for the week...

UAC Challenge: √
    Train for April Half Marathon: Long walk on Sat though slow. Will start on speed during the week when weather permits
    One stretch/strength workout: √ Was inspired to try out a video which is something I have never done.
    Less Alcohol: In progress. 2x this week.
    Plant based recipe: Found a recipe I want to try. On hold until I have time to cook it.
    Brain exercise: need to work on this
    Declutter: √
    Life Basics: √ Spent a lot time working on my mom's paperwork which was good but took up a lot of my time.
    Daily gratitude list: Need to be more consistent
  • Orphia
    Options
    Relaxation: Starting to settle into holiday mode!
    Exercise: Maintaining*
    Alcohol usage: None. Great.
    Creativity: Maintaining. Writing a lot the past two days.
    Home: Good! House isn't chaotic before Chrimbo.
    Work: Great.
    Eating in moderation: Great. Weight at an average I can enjoy a festive few days.
    Learning: Maintaining.
    Life: Great!

*Exercise is maintaining, but running is on hold due to a sore ankle/Achilles(?) I don't want to turn into an injury. I've been really enjoying swimming though.

My neck is better than it was. I've managed to swim "symmetrically" the past two times, which is a huge milestone.
  • Orphia
    Options
    @Runaroundafieldx2 How's the relaxation going? Any time off now?

@znaoiec How is your mother?

@lporter229 How's your swimming?

@htimpaired What are you reading at the moment?

@jenilla1 Hope you're having a chilled Chrimbo! :smile:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

LOL! I had to look that up to see what it meant. (I'm from California. B) )
    But yes, I'm chillin' pretty hard this holiday season. It's just me and my husband this year - everyone else is out of state this time around. Sounds lonely, but it's actually kind of relaxing. I can have Christmas dinner in my pajamas! ;)
  • jenilla1
    Options
    Too much sugar...everyone thought it would be a good idea to "gift" me with tons of candy this year. Yikes! I need to pace myself! :p
  • Orphia
    Options
    New Year check-in.

Relaxation - Last day of holidays today, and feeling refreshed and productive.
    Exercise - Excellent. Did a 51 km walk on Boxing Day, and have run 3 times since then.
    Alcohol usage - 11 months alcohol-free!
    Creativity - Maintaining.
    Home - Excellent. New curtains arranged, I painted the kitchen cupboard doors, and did a lot of dusting & wiping.
    Work - Looking forward to it tomorrow.
    Eating in moderation - Great.
    Learning - Didn't complete a free short course I began. Decided holiday should be a holiday.
    Life! - Very happy.

My 2019 goals:

A marathon in a major city interstate.
    48 km on my 48th month running anniversary in September.
    Run 2019 km in 2019.
    12 months alcohol free – Feb 1 2019 anniversary.
    5 minutes handstands/stretching/balance/core daily.
    Draw every day.
    5 minutes learning Greek every day.
    Invite someone to parkrun & walk/run with them.

These will mean I get outdoors, travel, keep running, keep strong, keep my flexibility and balance, and keep thriving.
  • znaoiec
    Options
    I have been MIA for a while during the holiday but getting back on track. This is an important challenge for me personally. I will be back to reevaluate and repost my goals again. Wishing everyone the best!
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Rest, must do better B)

Bravo on your half marathon!!! <3 Nice to hear that.

Great work logging!

Have you checked out the Less Alcohol - One Day at A Time thread in Challenges? We have a great list of tips in the OP we've compiled.

Keeping in touch with family is definitely something I've worked on this year. I realised I was creating a mental block for myself, and switched to texting/massaging random bits of good news to my sisters whenever they happened. I started treating them as friends rather than obligations. Our relationships feel so much better. We've also spent more time with each other and had some significant and inspiring conversations.

Do you have much time off work over Christmas? Rest sounds good!

Just joined the Less alcohol challenge, and it really will be :D

Going to try hard to log daily as it went out of the window over December.

I've set an extra goal of run 1000 miles this year
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @Runaroundafieldx2 How's the relaxation going? Any time off now?

@znaoiec How is your mother?

@lporter229 How's your swimming?

@htimpaired What are you reading at the moment?

Sorry, I missed this. I was mostly MIA through much of December due to being busy at work and a few stressful situations with family things. I am glad this thread popped up on my feed today, as I had forgotten about it. Even though it was only 6 weeks ago, it was fun to go back and see my goals. Still trying to do my best with all of them.

As far as swimming, I went once in December and decided that I am just not enjoying it. I think I put too much pressure on myself to have proper form and technique, which I know I don't. If I do continue to swim in the future, I will probably look into getting a coach, or else just stick to water walking or casual swimming.

I have started running again, training for the Boston marathon in April. I realized just how much I rely on running to keep me calm and at ease. December was a really stressful month! I have been working to de-clutter my office at work and get my crap in order so that I can stay more focused. Losing focus at work is something I haven't dealt with in the past and it has been a struggle for me recently. I usually take pride in my work and I have not been able to do that lately, which has only compounded the stress. There have been many changes in the past year or so here and I haven't dealt well with that, even though I know that adaptation is key to survival. Time to get serious about this or think about future alternatives.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Relaxation This is not a problem for me. I'm so calm in so many situations that it's just odd.

Exercise I do this because I can.

Alcohol usage I don't do this because I don't want to. It's not a struggle.

Creativity There are many avenues for creativity. I'm not sure I've taken two steps down any of them.

Home Got one.

Work Got none.

Eating in moderation Usually. The times I jump off the proverbial wagon seem to have many varied causes. I've found a few ways to interdict an urge to overeat. When I feel it starting, I can start on one of my cardio machines and get too tired to care.

Learning Always.

Life! I have no idea.
  • jenilla1
    Options
    TL;DR - derailed by sugar during the holidays, but back on track now!

During that space between Christmas and the New Year my diet somehow shifted to become primarily candy-based. I've never eaten so much candy in my life. (Literally everyone I know gave me candy for Christmas this year, so it was in my face and all over the place.) Holidays are usually no big deal for me in terms of diet and fitness challenges. I've never had a problem with candy, so I was totally blindsided by the crazy candy binge of 2018. What happened?!?

For some reason, once I started eating it, I really, really craved it and during that period I ate about 800-1000 calories of sugary treats every day - over half my calories! Didn't really go over calories very much (which tells you my other nutrition suffered since the quality foods were eliminated to make room for the sweet stuff.) So I didn't gain any weight, but I sure felt like crap eating all that garbage. It felt amazing while I was eating it, though. Kind of like a high. I usually have a little bit of a treat built into every day, but never anything like this! Highly unusual for me. Needless to say, I was blowing my sugar goals. And I was lacking the energy and motivation to maintain my normal activity level. I was becoming a slug. If it wasn't for dog walks, I'd be sedentary.

I'm the type of person who puts their mind to something and then does it. So I decided that starting on the 1st, I was going to go back to reasonable levels of sugar. So I just let myself have those last few days of chocolate and caramel bliss and stopped stressing about it. I managed to plow through most of it. The clock struck midnight, I had my glass of sparkling, fizzy booze, and went right back to my normal eating habits. (I feared it would be more difficult to do, since the 24/7 cravings for candy seemed insatiable. I was legitimately scared.)

But it totally worked! I've been well below my sugar goals every day so far. Seems almost too easy... But I think I know why. As long as I don't start out my day with a bunch of sugar, I don't feel the need to keep eating it all day. As soon as I consume excessive amounts of sugar, I have to keep adding more in intervals to feed the cravings. So I just have to resist that first morning candy (yes, I was eating candy for breakfast for almost two weeks) and I'm good for the rest of the day! I save a little sugar for the end of the night and then I'm out. Success! Back to my normal routine and normal craving levels!

Now I just need to get back into my normal exercise pattern...that's my next challenge. Although I did just go for a run, and haven't seemed to have lost my fitness yet. So that's a good sign. :D
  • tab03mh
    tab03mh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I’m Tab. I really like this challenge happy to join you all. I have quite a-bit of weight to lose, but also want to focus on my body, mind and soul.

Relaxation: I can definitely relax more. I’ve been a little stress from family life (have a brother with mental illness) and I want to feel healthy again.

Exercise: Since Jan.1st, 2019... I have been walking one mile in the morning before work and one mile during my lunch at work. I’m feeling great about it.

SW:397
    CW:384
    GW:205

Alcohol usage: This is a hard one for me as I am a craft beer nerd. I’m actually opening a brewery. With all of that being said, I have made a commitment to not drink until I reach my goal weight. Currently I haven’t drinker since Dec. 15th, 2018.

Creativity: Ian always thinking of fun things to do. My goal for 2019 is to do an oil painting (never painted in my life).

Home: I am hoping to move into a new place this year. I’ve been looking at new furniture, just to decorate the new space and that makes me excited.

Work: I love my job. People I work with is great and the environment is very nice.(this is very refreshing as this was not the case in 2017).

Eating in moderation: I have been doing great with my diet so far. I started on Dec. 15th, 2019. I am currently doing the Keto Diet with Moderate Fasting.

Learning: My goal is to learn something new everyday. I also want to read 1 book a quarter.

Life: Life is good. I hope to travel quite a bit in 2019, as traveling brings me joy.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    Relaxation - need to work on this...I resist it - I think because I’ve worked so hard to become more active throughout my day & to exercise daily...

Exercise - Great. Daily. Can feel the increased strength.

Creativity - making progress, but want to do this daily...hard to find the time - I may have to do it first thing each day or make it my top priority...

Home - Really becoming quite organized, beautiful, spacious after much decluttering! I’ve never lived it so much before!

Work - a new daily habit to create a to do list each morning is helping me to get much more done!

Eating in moderation - Going well, but must get back to not eating out!

Learning - Signed up for a mixed media class - now to find/make the time to do it!!

Life! Is Lovely! I’m very grateful to be healthy & alive!
  • Orphia
    Options
    @Runaroundafieldx2 Yay, good to see you again, and looking forward to seeing you in the Less Alcohol Challenge.

@lporter229 I'm happy you found us again. Well done for taking the time to think about your goals again. x

@JeromeBarry1 Hahaha, you do seem laid-back! Do you have something you'd like to work on (other than maintaining your current good balance)? What exercise do you do?

@jenilla1 Love how you just got right back to your plan after a nice holiday treat period!!

Welcome, @tab03mh ! You're off to a great start. And doing so well with not drinking!! Lovely to meet you.

@MadisonMolly2017 We are so much alike! :heart: