Are these okay to eat.

Options
weightgoesbyebye
weightgoesbyebye Posts: 54 Member
edited July 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Are these okay to eat. They cook in 2 minutes and no salt added. Does any members eat them.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/uncle-bens-bistro-express-wholegrain-brown-rice/6000016937590

Thanks

Replies

• weightgoesbyebye
    weightgoesbyebye Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just thought precooked and have to be reheated in the bag.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I have tried those.

My personal opinion is that the rice tastes sort of cardboard-y compared to rice cooked yourself.
    Also much more expensive than equivalent in raw rice.

Admittedly I never cook brown rice myself because I use a small rice cooker and it says not suitable for brown rice ( I assume because you need more water for brown rice than my cooker will hold)

Anyway, although I am not a fan of these pre cooked rice sachets, they are perfectly ok to eat if you like them and/or want rice quicker than cooking it yourself and are ok with the cost.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Are these okay to eat. They cook in 2 minutes and no salt added. Does any members eat them.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/uncle-bens-bistro-express-wholegrain-brown-rice/6000016937590

Thanks

I wonder if what you’re asking is that it’s safe to eat? Cooked rice can cause food poisoning if not thoroughly reheated. It can contain Bacillus Cereus.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning/

The issue is not really in how its reheated but on how it was cooled and stored after cooking initially. I’m very careful at home with leftover rice and honestly I try not to have such a thing leftover if at all possible by weighing the dry grains before cooking.

However....and this is what you need to know, really; Rice cooked and packed commercially will have been treated in the safest way so you’re good to go on the precooked sachets. I would just be careful if you reheat according to package directions but don’t consume the whole sachet in one meal.

Personally I don’t use or like the precooked sachets because I think they’re a bit plasticky and very slightly slimy, but clearly, since they sell a vast variety of brands and flavours, I’m in the minority.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options

Thanks

I'm sure they're ok from a food safety perspective.

I would personally not buy it for three reasons:

1. I don't like the taste of factory precooked rice (as opposed to leftover rice that I cooked.)
    2. I don't like the idea of boiling food in plastic. It may per perfectly safe, but the idea squicks me out.
    3. You may see a different price, but I see $1.27 / 100 grams, which comes to $5.81 per pound, way more than I am willing to spend.

You can get 2.6 kg of brown rice for $5.97 https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/diamond-g-brown-riz/6000196618339

Sure, it takes longer to cook, but like you said on another thread, you can cook a batch and freeze what you're not going to eat over the next few days.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer to make my own rice. That way, I know exactly what's in it. I avoid processed foods and, to me, these belong in that column.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Oh they definitely belong in the column of processed foods, under any definition of processed foods.

But still fine to eat if you like them. Or not, if you don't.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I can't cook rice EVER it always turns out yucky so any convenient rice works for me
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I tend to follow an "If it's made of food or the ingredients/components of food" then it's safe to eat. Anything non-food is right out.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    For most meals we make our own rice, but we always have some of these on hand for busy nights, or hungry teen boys. There are a few that we like better than the others, but are perfectly safe to eat, and can be incorporated into a healthy diet.
  • eddied38
    eddied38 Posts: 47 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @whitpauly
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I can't cook rice EVER it always turns out yucky so any convenient rice works for me

What is your method? Are you cooking brown rice? I used to struggle too, but I think I have it down now. If it's brown rice, make sure you use an EXACT 2:1 ratio of water to rice. Rinse the rice first, then put into a pot with the water, NO BUTTER. (I usually throw in some chicken bouillon for flavor). Make sure you use the right sized pot, this is important. You want the rice to just cover the entire bottom and maybe be about a half an inch or less in depth. Heat to a rolling boil and then reduce to about medium and put a lid on it. DON'T LIFT THE LID until it's finished. usually about 30-40 minutes, or until the steam stops coming out of the lid vent. Perfect rice every time.

PS: If you're making it for a Spanish dish, chop up some cilantro and squeeze some lime in it when it's done. Your friends and family will think you're a chef.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »

I was the same then got a rice cooker. Perfect every time now and you can add what flavour you like.

But we still grab a microwave packet or frozen pack of rice for speed. No reason not to eat them they are perfectly safe.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    Jeez. People here are such a pain in the butt.

The ingredients are:
    WATER, WHOLE GRAIN BROWN PARBOILED RICE, CANOLA OIL AND/OR SUNFLOWER OIL

If it fits your diet, please, eat it. There's NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING wrong with this product.
    This is the equivalent of you cooking the rice at home and reheating the next day. (Just a little more expensive).

I disagree. Parboiled rice does NOT taste the same and this is way more than just a little more expensive - see the prices I posted above.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Agreed kshama.

Nothing wrong with pre cooked rice packets if you like them. And if you are happy to pay cost - lots of things I am happy to pay more for rather than making from scratch.
    That's a personal decision.

But they sure don't taste the same as rice cooked from scratch.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    Jeez. People here are such a pain in the butt.

The ingredients are:
    WATER, WHOLE GRAIN BROWN PARBOILED RICE, CANOLA OIL AND/OR SUNFLOWER OIL

If it fits your diet, please, eat it. There's NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING wrong with this product.
    This is the equivalent of you cooking the rice at home and reheating the next day. (Just a little more expensive).

I disagree. Parboiled rice does NOT taste the same and this is way more than just a little more expensive - see the prices I posted above.

Yes, but it doesn't matter, does it?
    That wasn't the original question. The original post didn't ask for a shopping list, a recipe, our personal opinion on taste or a lesson in economics.

THe question was: Are these okay to eat?
    The answer is YES. They are okay to eat.

And as far as price goes, it depends on your perspective. For someone who is unable, unwilling or simply doesn't want to waste time making food, the cost/benefit works.

Regardless. I go back to the original question.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    There were 2 questions in OP.

Are these okay to eat and do any members eat them.

I guess answer could just be yes and yes.

So members gave their personal opinions/ experiences of the product - including you, who told us it was equivalent of re heating your own rice and only a little bit more expensive

That's what usually happens with questions - people expand their answer to more than just Yes or no.
    You know, discussion.

Not sure how that makes anyone a pain in the butt.