9 pounds of water weight in a day

Options

Replies

• JordanS9592
    JordanS9592 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Maybe it’s a lot for you, but I’m 340 pounds and I sweat about a gallon of water with every workout.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Maybe it’s a lot for you, but I’m 340 pounds and I sweat about a gallon of water with every workout.

How do you know you sweat a gallon?
  • JordanS9592
    Options
    I don’t see how the exact measurement is relevant. I sweat an abnormal amount of water during a workout, which I’ve weighed to be about 3-5 pounds, oftentimes equaling close to a gallon. Drinking 2 gallons of water has not had an adverse effect on my abnormally large body thus far. However, if someone has research to show that it would be harmful on someone my size and height, I’m open to adjusting that.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    How many litres is a gallon?
  • JordanS9592
    Options
    @PAV8888 Thanks for the thorough response. I will take these things into consideration. I’m thinking of consulting a nutritionist to devise a personalized plan.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »

• Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I don’t see how the exact measurement is relevant. I sweat an abnormal amount of water during a workout, which I’ve weighed to be about 3-5 pounds, oftentimes equaling close to a gallon. Drinking 2 gallons of water has not had an adverse effect on my abnormally large body thus far. However, if someone has research to show that it would be harmful on someone my size and height, I’m open to adjusting that.

If you're comfortable drinking two gallons a day and you're not feeling bloated or uncomfortable... then don't worry about it and keep doing it. It's much better than not drinking enough and being dehydrated.

As far as daily weight swings, I'm around 200 lbs and have definitely seen fluctuations of 5-7 lbs in a day...easy.

If I weigh in the early morning after a long run in the Texas heat, I'll definitely be at my low weight of the day. If I weigh in mid-day after a big lunch and pounding glasses of iced tea (which I tend to do), it's not surprising to see my weight jump up 4-5 lbs or more.

Here's a few tips from a guy who's done this for awhile
    - Do not worry about day to day weight changes.
    - Do your "Official" weigh ins at the same time every day. I do mine in the morning after my workouts when I know I'll be at my lowest weight of the day.
    - Focus on trends over extended periods. It's a marathon and you may have times when the scale goes up for a few days. But focus on what's happening week to week or even month to month.

The Healthmate App for the Withings(Nokia) scales is great for this. It has a trend line that averages your weigh ins. So a random "High" or "Low" weigh is taken into account. You can really see what the trend line is doing which is far more informative than a single weight measurement.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    nooboots wrote: »

Crikey, thats a lot.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ^^^ This.

Lose the weight to improve overall body health at a reasonable rate with good nutrition. When you get to a non-obese number, or close enough, add exercise to build muscle for tone and fitness health. You can't do both at one time. Your body will take the extra calories and retain the fat and you just be tired and hungry all the time.

What? You (or your nutritionist) is claiming that the obese body can't lose weight if exercising? I must be misunderstanding you because that makes no sense whatsoever.

You are confused. The issue is not "exercise" it is building muscle mass. Of course you can and should exercise.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ^^^ This.

Lose the weight to improve overall body health at a reasonable rate with good nutrition. When you get to a non-obese number, or close enough, add exercise to build muscle for tone and fitness health. You can't do both at one time. Your body will take the extra calories and retain the fat and you just be tired and hungry all the time.

What? You (or your nutritionist) is claiming that the obese body can't lose weight if exercising? I must be misunderstanding you because that makes no sense whatsoever.

You are confused. The issue is not "exercise" it is building muscle mass. Of course you can and should exercise.

What you said was this:
    ^^^ This.

If one exercises (including strength exercise) while obese and in a calorie deficit, your body will not "take the extra calories and retain the fat and you just be tired and hungry all the time", if you keep your calorie deficit sensible, and don't over-exercise (i.e., go so far past your current fitness level that you get severely fatigued).
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    For my part, all I can say is good luck with that, i.e. losing weight and gaining muscle mass simultaneously. I think it has been the theme of about 100 infomercials from TV for some red hot diet pills or device that did not work. But I'd be the first person to say good job to those of you who have been successful at it.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    For my part, all I can say is good luck with that, i.e. losing weight and gaining muscle mass simultaneously. I think it has been the theme of about 100 infomercials from TV for some red hot diet pills or device that did not work. But I'd be the first person to say good job to those of you who have been successful at it.

Who are you responding to that said that????
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

No, you said to not exercise until at a non-obese weight. That's what we're pushing back against.