How do you nicely tell your partner to lose weight?

Options
egray0308
egray0308 Posts: 8 Member
I always wondered how men/women encouraged their significant other to eat healthy and workout... it’s rare that you see a couple where one is fit and the other is not ...

Replies

• dlbohl1991
    dlbohl1991 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Attraction rather than promotion. Just lead by example and if the conversation does come up then approach it with a concern for their health And well being ie:make sure they know you love them and you’re not say “there’s no excuse for a man to be under 6ft tall, HIT THE GYM FATA$$” haha seriously tho lol
  • egray0308
    Options
    That’s a super cute story. I thought I’d ask because a close friend of mine bf told her he wasn’t sexually attracted to her anymore because she let herself “go.” In a way I respect his honesty but in another way I see it as being mean and rude. I thought that would light her fire to make her start working out with me but it only made things worse. 😞
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    egray0308 wrote: »
    I always wondered how men/women encouraged their significant other to eat healthy and workout... it’s rare that you see a couple where one is fit and the other is not ...

Apparently, I don't live in your area. I see many couples or families where one adult is trim (like my husband) and the other adult is not (like me).

It's one thing to be concerned about your partner's health and wellbeing. It's another entirely to want them to lose weight.
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    That’s a super cute story. I thought I’d ask because a close friend of mine bf told her he wasn’t sexually attracted to her anymore because she let herself “go.” In a way I respect his honesty but in another way I see it as being mean and rude. I thought that would light her fire to make her start working out with me but it only made things worse. 😞
    That’s so hurtful. It would make me want to hide. And when I felt well enough to actually take care of myself it would be without him.

Just curious on this - yeah it’s f’d up thing to say - so in Lieu of saying it - if that’s how he’s truly feeling, should he just break it off ?? But then what if she ask why - should he be brutally honest or just make something up? To spare hard feelings “it’s not you it’s me” thing

If he’s feeling this way then he prolly truly doesn’t love her anyway right - cause if you love someone you take the good and bad right ? Or what we perceive as bad - not all perceive being overweight as bad ..

Anyway - I find this topic interesting- where’s @1sphere - what are your thoughts homie
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »
    That’s so hurtful. It would make me want to hide. And when I felt well enough to actually take care of myself it would be without him.

Just curious on this - yeah it’s f’d up thing to say - so in Lieu of saying it - if that’s how he’s truly feeling, should he just break it off ?? But then what if she ask why - should he be brutally honest or just make something up? To spare hard feelings “it’s not you it’s me” thing

If he’s feeling this way then he prolly truly doesn’t love her anyway right - cause if you love someone you take the good and bad right ? Or what we perceive as bad - not all perceive being overweight as bad ..

Anyway - I find this topic interesting- where’s @1sphere - what are your thoughts homie

Depends on the nature of the relationship I guess.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    How do you nicely tell your partner to lose weight?

I dont think you can "nicely" "tell" someone to lose weight, or many other physical critiques (get a nose/boob etc job, gain weight, fix your teeth, change your hair, whatever)

I think it can be encouraging to lead by example. When I see anybody make good choices or achieve nice results it encourages me to try harder.
  • jakesmomma2004
    jakesmomma2004 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's a touchy subject and hard to approach in a nice way; just try and be as tactful as possible if it truly is a concern for the others health. There are always various reasons but it's sad when people only focus on the superficial aspects.

I have been trying to get my bf on the bandwagon for awhile due to health concerns (type 1 diabetes & high blood pressure) but it is completely up to them to make the change. Takes a toll in regards to seeing them not taking any initiative for their health.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    You don't. You tell him/her that you care about them & remind them having an annual physical is important.
  • egray0308
    Options
    Thank you for all the feedback. I am actually screenshotting these comments and sending them to her because EVERYONE has said the one key thing I’ve believed for so long ... HE DOESN’T LOVE HER! Keep the opinions coming 🙌🏾