9 pounds of water weight in a day

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    So a week ago, I weighed 337. Saturday, I weighed in at 332. Yesterday was my day off after 6 days of hard exercise. Last night I weighed in at 341! Now, I understand that night time makes you gain a couple, and I drank 2 gallons of water and ate all my calories. However, I drink and eat that much every day. I track my food scrupulously and stay under my original calories for the day, even though I lose 1000-2000 calories per day with exercise. Was I misled by my Saturday weigh in, and am I doing something wrong?

You need to observe trends over time...you don't have a "real" weight...bodyweight fluctuates naturally for a variety of reasons.

Drinking 2 gallons of water seems over the top...overhydrating is just as bad as dehydrating.
  • DarkTwain
    DarkTwain Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So a week ago, I weighed 337. Saturday, I weighed in at 332. Yesterday was my day off after 6 days of hard exercise. Last night I weighed in at 341! Now, I understand that night time makes you gain a couple, and I drank 2 gallons of water and ate all my calories. However, I drink and eat that much every day. I track my food scrupulously and stay under my original calories for the day, even though I lose 1000-2000 calories per day with exercise. Was I misled by my Saturday weigh in, and am I doing something wrong?

Weight fluctuates. It can be tempting but I would try to weigh myself once a week around the same time every week. Personally, its monday morning. In the early stages (I was about 340 myself) I would sneak a peek mid week and maybe fast or do a two a day if I didnt see a loss but in time I just had to trust the process.
  • Salutary7
    Salutary7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat 3000 calories per day so I can get enough protein to maintain muscle. I eat clean though, typically something like eggs, Cheerios, almond milk, cherries, oranges, blueberries, tuna, almonds, protein powder, pure protein bar, ground beef, pasta, etc.

I think your overall plan is very good. Water retention is a real thing. Not sure what your protein goals are but you can certainly get enough on a lower calorie diet if you want to see faster losses. So you can stick with your current plan and see if more water comes off or restrict your choices and portions to something below 3000.
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Uhmmm... so, I can’t sleep and was trolling the forums. I’ve seen your daily exercise posts. I know that you are larger and that swimming is a great exercise but your calories burned is pretty high. To push 2k calories in 1-1.5 hours is intense. I am assuming you are using MFP calculator? You might want to invest in a HR monitor. The old school polars with a separate strap are my favorite for open ocean swims.

I weigh myself daily but never at night. Once I did out of curiosity but the difference wasn’t significant. In the mornings I’ve had swings as high as 9 lbs. Most people assume weight loss is a steady decline. Nope 😂 it is more like a slight upward arc followed by a sudden drop, this pattern has repeated for me multiple times. I’m more than half way to my goal weight and I’ve been losing since January. It has been a huge lifestyle change. My philosophy on MFP is to record the lowest reading. Even if I jump up 4lbs the following morning, I don’t change my recorded weight.

As for muscle, I understand why people freak about it but it really isn’t that big of a deal. To lose weight you have to create a deficit. Muscle can not grow in a calorie deficit state. Your strength and response can flourish but you won’t find yourself “bulking up” until you start maintaining. I’ve lost .9 lbs of muscle but started with 112lbs. So, not the end of the world. You would be surprised at how much is actually there under the fluffy 😂

Now, what caused that fluctuation? A million things PLUS one 🤣😂 First I want to make a point of saying that drinking more water won’t cause you to retain. Anything you drink in excess will be released by your body. I drink between 60-115 oz of water per day, never had a problem. Possible causes for spikes on the scale: Influx of salt, eating later, stress, poor sleep, hard exercise, dehydration, maco imbalance, high carb intake, severe calorie restriction combined with hard exercise, hormonal changes, new medication, stopping medications, etc. These have all been factors for me.

The hardest part about stepping on the scale isn’t the number you see but the number in your head that you WANT to see. It’s okay, we all do it 😂 but it can be the biggest motivaton killer.

I used to roll my eyes when I would hear people say that the number on the scale was less important than the fit of your clothes. I still don’t entirely agree but I will say that I have come to see the wisdom in the idea. The scale really shouldn’t be your *only* progress marker. The way you feel, the way your body moves, the way you look in your clothes and your overall outlook on life are all things to be proud of. My best moments have come from fitness related goals, not from my scale reading.

So, I say this to everyone but I really mean it, hang in there. Keep doing what you are doing and the results will follow 👍
  • JordanS9592
    JordanS9592 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @Holly92154 thank you for taking the time to write out that encouraging post. I will find a way to hang in there. Nothing will stop me.
  • marklye2019
    marklye2019 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    T
    Frustrating the *kitten* out of me now started at 12st upped calories to 2700 as it was what the app told me put on 6lb in first week but I ain’t changed anything and now I’m losing weight I’m now 12st 1 wtf how can this be I set it to inactive as I’m a full time dad and yh I do weights but don’t really do owt else part from stay at home can anyone help
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    T
    Frustrating the *kitten* out of me now started at 12st upped calories to 2700 as it was what the app told me put on 6lb in first week but I ain’t changed anything and now I’m losing weight I’m now 12st 1 wtf how can this be I set it to inactive as I’m a full time dad and yh I do weights but don’t really do owt else part from stay at home can anyone help

It might help if you start your own thread with your stats and goals.