60 and trying to lose weight

Options
Hi I am looking for others at this age to give and receive support while I'm changing my lifestyle and exercise habits.
I am a female and in my sixth decade. I have just recovered from 2 surgeries and am ready to lose weight to live longer. I've noticed it's harder at this age then before to lose weight.
Hope to hear from others.
LLC

Replies

• megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Feel free to send me a friend request. I am 64 and down almost 100, this year 60+. We can all use support and help along the way. Welcome.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

I'm 61 and enjoying my MFP journey.

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I actually find it easier to lose weight at age 66 than I did years ago. I don't have children that I have to worry about cooking foods that they will eat nor do I have the social pressures of younger people when meeting up for a night out. I can fix the foods on my plan centered around what I want to eat. Exercising might be a little more of a problem because of the aches and pains that come along with age but there are plenty of things that we can do.

Try not to let age discourage you but use it to your advantage...we don't have to worry as much about that bikini body!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,294 Member
    Options
    I'm only 57 but doing this for me now the kids have grown up by add friends it has made me focus more to keep to a routine, feel free to add me if you want.
    Dont get discouraged set your self a goal like wearing a particular dress or for an occasion.
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am 68 and starting a new weight loss journey too - would love to connect with like-minded 60-somethings as well. Please feel free to friend me!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    You can do this: At 59-60, I used MFP to lose around 50 pounds, from obese (which I'd been for decades) to a healthy weight, and have continued using MFP to maintain a healthy weight for 3 years since. I'm 63 now.

I second the advice to read the "stickies" (which are the posts in the "Most Helpful Posts" section of each forum topic area, called "stickies" because they stick around; they were written by regular users, and nominated by other users for their usefulness to the community).

Here are direct links to the most useful ones to chip away at reading, to start with:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads

Best wishes!