• amrluvarr
    amrluvarr Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    dwmxnjaqzbrz.jpeg

My tub of kitchen gadgets just for me!
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an odd situation. I will suggest, though, for the logging...if you don't have the capability of using the app on your phone...keep a notebook and log that way and log into the site when you get home.
  • rajjivahaloh
    rajjivahaloh Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @rheddmobile Very smart about assessing their regular offers in advance, while I still have internet access! For the most part, a single "meal" there would be close to my entire daily calorie allotment, so I know I will need to decline most. But I'd like to say yes to at least one item (not meal) per day. That will work well. Fruits are smart, but add up very quickly without providing satiation (in my case).

@nooboots I'm realizing that a major issue here is my calorie count. I have my count set for losing one pound per week. Unless I walk 2-6kms in a day (and I often do), MFP puts me at 1200 calories. Most canned meals seem to run about 600 calories. That would allow me two cans of food per day, and nothing else. Currently I'm divvying up my minimum 1200 calories across a wide variety of foods and snacks, so that I feel well. I'll continue looking for ones like @amrluvarr posted that are 400 cals per can. One of those per day, plus a bunch of other stuff, could work (if I can find them in my region).

@amrluvarr Yes, I just some minutes ago thought the same thing, that I could make one of my walks to the store and back. I google mapped that; it would be 30 minutes return. So one walk could be to the store and back for a fresher dish, and another could be to a closer store for picnic items, then to the picnic site. Planning the meals will be very smart. (I bring a bin very similar to that on my trips there, yep!)

@aries68mc It's more the calorie counts from MFP I rely on. So finding out later that I ate 600-800 calories over quota per day, every day for ten days, won't help me :( Maybe there's a way for me to print out the calorie counts of my most common ingredients and meals, though, and have that for reference.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    If you can find the Sprague brand soups where you are, their Organic Sweet Potato Soup and Organic Lentil Soup are both good and filling, and less than 300 calories for the whole can.

Good luck - I don't envy your situation! At least it's only for 10 days...
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Does the local library have a book with general calorie counts? To take in your tub.

Nooboots, I am so jealous of the foods you have accessible there. I want Canned Curry!

OP, you have gotten so many suggestions, it’s almost beginning to sound easy. Lol.
  • rajjivahaloh
    edited July 2019
    Options
    OP, you have gotten so many suggestions, it’s almost beginning to sound easy. Lol.

I can't even begin to express how much I appreciate it all!!! I so didn't want to gain any of the weight back, and am feeling increasingly confident about how I can go about this :)

Also, calorie counter book from library, thank you! I will look.

@SueSueDio It looks like I might have access to Sprague stuff!!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

Nooboots, I am so jealous of the foods you have accessible there. I want Canned Curry!

I'm in Canada now, and I do miss some of the stuff I used to buy at Tesco! ;)
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, take a pack of anti-bacterial wipes with you. Might just help you with the struggle if you do end up having to use something from your host kitchen. Settles the mind a little if you know that at least the square foot of space is food safe.

I send my best wishes to you on getting through the 10 days and back to your own kitchen.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I sympathize! I used to have housemates who were out of work by 3, yet couldn't get the kitchen cleaned by 6:15, the earliest I'd get home. I started staying at work later and later, in the hopes that I'd have a clean kitchen when I got home. I warned them that if nothing changed I was moving out. Nothing changed, I moved out, and the main culprit was surprised. :/
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Does the local library have a book with general calorie counts? To take in your tub.

I think in the UK people look down on tinned foods. Not me, I find that if you get the right ones, they are so convenient. I cant remember if its Tesco or Asda but one of them does a beef rogon josh tinned curry which is so good. Cheap too. Mind you I would never buy tinned veg, that really is minging.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, take a pack of anti-bacterial wipes with you.

Yeah! This is great. For the bathroom too. A pack or can of these things are probably the most time-efficient way to clean any surface where you don't have full "equipment". Just don't flush the wipes; they go in the trash.
  • rajjivahaloh
    Options
    The idea for anti-b wipes are reminding me of much worse places I've stayed, lol! This one is more just messiness, crumbs, stickiness, smears, blobs, etc. A good wash with dish soap is sufficient :)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    What about a small crockpot? You can get a small one and plug it in, in your (clean) room to warm everything from chili to soup, or drop in some chicken and vegetables with a simple seasoning for something more filling.
  • rajjivahaloh
    Options
    @springlering62 I wouldn't be allowed to plug it in in my room, but I could see that being a phenomenal solution for someone in a similar situation who does have that option!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you can’t ask or know about when you can and can’t use the kitchen?
  • rajjivahaloh
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Total Aside:

tl;dr: Requesting congratulations!

In May I told my shiny new doctor that I was now at the highest weight of my life, I think including pregnancy! I said that ten months newly at the gym, and the things that normally worked for me -including cutting out all "problematic" foods for six recent weeks- had had no impact, and I was now officially concerned. I had also recently resigned myself to the new, sticky weight, donated away the biggest clothes I'd worn for up to 14 years previously, and bought in my new, bigger size.

He acknowledged that weight at my stage of life can be very sticky, and loss tricky. He was willing to refer me for more help, but in the meantime suggested MFP ("or anything like it").

I was skeptical as I'd never need to count calories before, but the very first food I went to enter made clear the issue. The pounds have fallen off. I've now lost 7% of that starting weight, feel WAY better on multiple counts, and am very happy with my new size. This feels acceptable, healthy, tickedyboo.

I'm excited to show the doctor when I see him in some weeks.

However, I was sooooooooooooo disappointed when MFP software didn't toss up big celebratory GIFs when I achieved my goal. AND, no one in my life has noticed! So, here I have had what feels like a massive breakthrough, and there have been no high-fives, not from computers and not from humans.

Can someone here please say nice things about my success? :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Total Aside:

In May I told my shiny new doctor that I was now at the highest weight of my life, I think including pregnancy! I said that ten months newly at the gym, and the things that normally worked for me -including cutting out all "problematic" foods for six recent weeks- had had no impact, and I was now officially concerned. I had also recently resigned myself to the new, sticky weight, donated away the biggest clothes I'd worn for up to 14 years previously, and bought in my new, bigger size.

He acknowledged that weight at my stage of life can be very sticky, and loss tricky. He was willing to refer me for more help, but in the meantime suggested MFP ("or anything like it").

I was skeptical as I'd never need to count calories before, but the very first food I went to enter made clear the issue. The pounds have fallen off. I've now lost 7% of that starting weight, feel WAY better on multiple counts, and am very happy with my new size. This feels acceptable, healthy, tickedyboo.

I'm excited to show the doctor when I see him in some weeks.

However, I was sooooooooooooo disappointed when MFP software didn't toss up big celebratory GIFs when I achieved my goal. AND, no one in my life has noticed! So, here I have had what feels like a massive breakthrough, and there have been no high-fives, not from computers and not from humans.

Can someone here please say nice things about my success? :)

giphy.gif
  • rajjivahaloh
    Options
    THANK YOU, @nutmegoreo ! I sure am!!!!