Always hungry.

Options
2»

Replies

• aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Often if you drink water when you think you are hungry that will curb it. Try drinking a glass of water when you feel hungry and see what that does.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    When I first went to maintenance I added carbs - milk, bread, etc. That's dumb. When I eat carbs I am always hungry.

If I up my protein and fat I'm not. I don't avoid carbs (except often skipping the bread on 'sandwiches'). But I consciously choose protein and I conscientiously take small portions, in a bowl, and walk away from the kitchen with it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,679 Member
    Options
    Some points to consider.

Carb re-feeds ARE a thing. Perhaps boiled potatoes would work better than candy canes in terms of satiety; but carb refeed may bring up hormones a bit faster (assuming protein remains adequate).

If you're bumping at maintenance minus there may be a couple of hundred calories before you bump at maintenance plus.

Especially at the tail end of loss there is some adaptation. Thus the weight loss the past few weeks is not a reliable indicator or necessarily the limit of how much you can add before heading into a weight regain trend.

Sounds as if a bit more food is in order...
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    1800 at 5'9"! Try 2400...there's no hurry; if you gain, you can always lose. If you are hungry, eat. Just be careful what you eat.

Yesterday, I ate 3500 and the scale this a.m. read 167, a loss of 2 over the last few days. I ride on the trails here for an hour and do free weights at the home gym every other day. Summer on the mountain...

Note that I'm eat mostly home cooked veggies; no junk food, booze. My greatest sin is thc edibles and they're like 5 calories.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    He is only 63 kg though, so very light.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I ran 8 miles on Friday and ended my day with a 500 calories deficit but woke up Saturday hungry as a bear. It’s a feeling I don’t typically experience nowadays.

I had to eat big earlier than normal yesterday and I did. I finally got that satisfied feeling after about a 1,500 calories early lunch. I had resigned myself to it being a big calorie day and planned on 1,000 calories or more over maintenance.

Guess what?

That satisfied feeling lingered and I ended my day, much to my surprise, about 50 calories under maintenance.

The lesson I learned.

Nip real hunger in the bud by front loading your eating and pick “smart” food choices to do so.

As I peck this post on my iPhone, I’m 17 hours into my fasting period and not hungry one bit. I tamed my hungry as a bear hunger well yesterday by doing what I shared.

Good luck.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I’m a woman at about the same height/age and 10 lbs lighter and my minimum maintenance calories is around 1860...so 1800 is too low. Also, what’s your daily activity? Are you understanding your exercise calories?
  • umbramirror
    umbramirror Posts: 256 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I apologize for not having much to add but I'm going through something similar. It's not fun at all, so I can definitely empathize. I'm also at the lower end of the BMI range for my height, always hungry (especially on lifting days), crave chocolate (and usually allow myself to have at least a little bit each day of the dark chocolate variety), and have that feeling of wanting to just keep eating after I've finished eating. I also do what you do and eat more frequently during the day until I hit calories. What was mentioned by @Rammer123 was very helpful for me, and I hope it will be for you as well. I'm experimenting with macro adaptations (and considering upping calories because I may have underestimated my activity level when calculating TDEE), so hopefully that will cease this hunger sensation.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    What's your age, weight, height, and non-exercise activity level? 1800 seems a bit low to me.

What type of foods are you eating, what are you macro breakdowns? Sometimes switching up macros can help, as well as eating less calorie dense foods, like cruciferous vegetables. If that doesn't work, playing with your eating schedule can help sometimes too. Some people find that IF, where they eat only during certain times of the day, keeps them more full. For others, several small meals throughout the day does that.

So non exercise activity I have as sedentary. Im in the gym about 1.5 hours a day 7 days a week. Age 36 height 5ft 9 and weight around 63.5kg. Iv come down from 82.5kg so keen not to head back that way

Geez. I'm a 43 y.o lady currently weighing slightly more than you at 65kg (just ended a bulk) and I maintain on 2000-2100, so yeah, 1800 is a bit low.

I don't do the MFP way tho, I use TDEE calculator and I gym way less than you. Like 4 sessions of ~50mins per week lifting and the rest is just general walking around, and some swimming on a Saturday.

Pretty sure you can eat more than you are already.

Also - do play with your macros, it makes a difference. When I eat higher carb, I am more satisfied. If I eat low carb, I am a hangry mess regardless of how many calories I have to consume.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Rammer123 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I think 2500 daily is probably too low for you. Looking at a TDEE calculator, I imagine you fall somewhere between Heavy Exercise (2683 calories per day) and Athlete (2955 calories).

You are already at a pretty low BMI, so I wouldn't be surprised that at even a slight deficit, your body is screaming at you to feed it more, which is why you feel hungry. I would play around with upping your calories a bit, to see how it affects you.

Yeah I think I may have to. Any tips on doing this so I don't suddenly jump up 10kg. For some reason I crave chocolate as well.

Responding to the chocolate piece. In my experience it’s USUALLY a magnesium deficiency. I would increase fat intake and take a magnesium supplement before increasing calories to start. Unless you’re still losing weight. Then all the above and increase calories to meet maintenance

ETA: usually probably bad way to phrase it because it really could be anything. But in my experience, if magnesium is added with some fat, it greatly reduces that relentless hunger feeling

Just one comment on the magnesium and fat recommendation... I agree but go slow. It can loosen your bowels.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    dunno how much protein you eat, but try getting more to feel more satiated.
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you're not eating enough. I'm a 44 year old, 5'6", 140 pound woman and i'm eating more calories per day than you are (my maintenance is 2,940).

This is one of the best TDEE calculators i've found: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

I calculated my work out days and non-workout days and averaged out the number so i can eat a consistent number each day (that's my preference).