Are you following a particular diet?

Options
Other than calorie counting? What do you like/not like about the plan you are following?

I'm way off track lately and need to regroup. I realize that I need structure. It helps me stay focused and accountable. I just can't decide what plan to follow. I've thought about Weight Watchers, South Beach, low carb, 17 day diet,etc. But I can't pick!

Please give me some feedback. I need to make a decision and move on.

Cici

Replies

• Erin_26
    Erin_26 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm following the Dukan Diet. I started at the beginning of July and have lost 20 lbs. It is low carb.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help!!! the word Die is in diet!!!! so I just follow this site!!!!! Portion control!!!!! lots of water, fruits and veggies!!!!! but other food I eat what I normally would!!!! Just reduce the portion! I don't think the diets really work!!!!! but please know that is just me....

I did South Beach years ago but I gain back double after I stopped!!!!!!
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Watch the movie, "Forks Over Knives". It's still playing in some theaters, but it is also just released on DVD. You can order it on Amazon or on their website. It changed our families lives and we have never felt better. I wouldn't call it a diet, but rather a permanent lifestyle change. Eliminate all the junk and then eat all the healthy stuff you want.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I did a low carb diet when I was doing a 21 day fitness study with Anytime Fitness. Basically I couldn't eat any sugar, bread, soda, or pasta. I had to drink 100oz of water a day (that's the easiest part of this diet) 1200-1500 kcals a day, 30 minutes of exercise 3 days a week, and I had to come in at or below 75 grams of carbs a day. It's not that bad... give it a go and feel free to friend me for more info... Also read about it on my blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Tonnina
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm on the "Eat what you know what's right and exercise 5-7 times a week" regimen. :)
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I follow the 90/10 rule. Eat clean 90% of the time and allow myself treat foods 10% of the time. Besides losing weight, I want to get my body fat down to 20% and develop tone muscles.
  • moepett00
    Options
    i'm on the Engine 2 diet, it's a plant based, whole wheat diet. It's vegan along with avoiding alot of processed foods and most oils. The initial challenge on this diet is for 4 weeks, with the goal being to see how you feel on the diet, and most people are amazed at the changes in how they feel, and they stick with the diet. I have been on it for a month now, and with no opportunity to exercise and just the diet and calorie counting, i've lost 6.1 lbs, and i feel wonderful. I had stomach and sleep problems before. Gone now. My friends tell me i have a radiance about me. I occasionally miss the meat and cheese, but you find some really nice substitutes that are healthy and yummy and if you buy some vegan recipe books you can find some delicious recipes. Even if you're someone who doesn't think they want to be vegetarian or vegan, it's worth trying for the 4 week challenge to 1)see if you can do it and 2) to see how you feel at the end.
    If anything, you will still lose weight:)
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    Diet is a naughty word on MFP, its simply a lifestyle change :happy:
  • moepett00
    Options
    also, my diet is modeled in forks over knives like was mentioned before. Great movie. very informative
  • mommy2b2
    mommy2b2 Posts: 43
    Options
    I do both Weight Watchers and MFP which work out to be almost the same amount of food and I go to the gym 3-4 times a week.
  • girard5
    girard5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Find a diet that makes sense to you, because ultimately you should be changing your lifestyle not just fad dieting so that you can keep the weight off. Visit a bookstore and spend some time reading up on different plans or visit amazon and read the comments/reviews. That is how I found the diet/lifestyle I'm on - the fat flush plan - which really just made sense to me. I'm down 22 lbs since mid July and I'm feeling better than ever! If you want it bad enough you will do it and you will be successful! Good luck!
  • RDTaylor13
    RDTaylor13 Posts: 160
    Options
    For me. I started with switching from white breads, pasta's and rice, to whole wheat, whole grain stuff, and doing portion control. then over time I started eliminating most junk foods, and dark pops (coke, pepsi, root bear, dr pepper, etc...) and started exercising. no real plan so to speak of, just making healthier food choices. and it works for me.

I have tried weight watchers. but found it a pain to convert everything I was eating into their point system. plus why pay someone to get "motivation", and have myself weighed? when you can just as easily get the same thing here for free. (just my opinion)
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I'm using the tools from the old Weight Watchers point system pretty successfully. It's an "outdated" system, but I didn't care for the new points plus thing nor do I attend meetings.
  • ymvestal
    ymvestal Posts: 84
    Options
    I am on the Hcg Diet. There is a lot of controversy over this diet, both medically and in the community. I can say that it has worked for me. I have been on it for 3 rounds since Thanksgiving 2010 and I have lost a total of 83 lbs in that time. I have lost 5 pant sizes, 3 bra sizes and I can now shop in the Junior/Miss section of most retailers. I have 60 lbs more to lose before my birthday in June 2012. I like this because it is done in phases that re-teach me how to eat, what to eat, when to eat, in addition to detoxing me of the unnatural things we all tend to put in our bodies. I have more energy than I have had in a long time. I am starting to love myself again...this has been good for me.

Thanks for letting me share.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Zone Diet: 40/30/30 ratios
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i'm on the Engine 2 diet, it's a plant based, whole wheat diet. It's vegan along with avoiding alot of processed foods and most oils. The initial challenge on this diet is for 4 weeks, with the goal being to see how you feel on the diet, and most people are amazed at the changes in how they feel, and they stick with the diet. I have been on it for a month now, and with no opportunity to exercise and just the diet and calorie counting, i've lost 6.1 lbs, and i feel wonderful. I had stomach and sleep problems before. Gone now. My friends tell me i have a radiance about me. I occasionally miss the meat and cheese, but you find some really nice substitutes that are healthy and yummy and if you buy some vegan recipe books you can find some delicious recipes. Even if you're someone who doesn't think they want to be vegetarian or vegan, it's worth trying for the 4 week challenge to 1)see if you can do it and 2) to see how you feel at the end.
    If anything, you will still lose weight:)

This is essentially the same diet as the one I referenced in "Forks Over Knives". It is amazing how your taste buds come alive to enjoy foods that are good for you. My husband has gone off most of his medications and has eliminated a number of conditions (acid reflux, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, hemorroides, bad breath, sleeping difficulties, sinus problems, constipation and others). My benefits have been no less impressive. My seasonal allergies went away after over 10 years. I no longer have the urge to binge or overeat. Having that control is the best benefit of all. We have been doing this since June 12th.
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help!!! the word Die is in diet!!!! so I just follow this site!!!!! Portion control!!!!! lots of water, fruits and veggies!!!!! but other food I eat what I normally would!!!! Just reduce the portion! I don't think the diets really work!!!!! but please know that is just me....

I did South Beach years ago but I gain back double after I stopped!!!!!!

I was going to use an exclamation mark in my sentence, but you have used this thread's allotment of them in your post.

Anyway, to answer your question, OP, I like to change up diets each month in addition to my calorie counting and exercise. I have done vegetarian, no processed foods and few others. There is no specific reason for this. It just makes it fun, like a game. I find that helps me stay on track with my weight loss. Plus, I don't care too much if I blow that month's diet for a day (I ate chicken a couple times on my vegetarian month) as long as I stay within my calorie range. You have to find what works for you, ultimately, but changing it up and testing is not going to destroy your goals.
  • moonflower09
    moonflower09 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Most of us have tried many diffferent plans and studied magazines and books about losing weight and getting in shape. I have decided to take all that knowledge and add 1 new habit a week for 52 weeks. I have started a blog on it. I am on week 4. Basically my favorite eating plan is based on Jenny Craig. You eat everything in moderation. Its basically 2 fruit, 3 veg, 6oz protein, 5 wholegrains, 2 fat, and 2 dairy.
    Good luck!
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    no processed foods, nothing white (sugar, white flour, white rice, potatoes, pasta) with one cheat meal a week where i can eat anything i want but even then i'm still watching cause i tried to eat anything i want and it just made me sick. lol today i had lasagna. the small stoufers one. it was very good and just right. other than that i try to make sure i have protein at each meal, eating 5 meals a day works for me, and i try not to have any starchy carbs after 3 pm. i lift weights (heavy) 3 times a week, cardio every day, started the C25K (that's part of my cardio) and two circuit classes a week. i limit my fruits but do have them, i just really watch my sugar intake. i also eat the same thing every day of the week but i like that. it might not work for you. you got to find what works. stay away from diets that say their way is the only way to eat or else, that don't have any studies to back up their claims ie actual citations in the book and studies that you yourself can go read, diets that promise "fast" results while still being able to eat anything you want, diets that limit specific food groups or calls them evil and eliminates them completely. there's no such thing as easy with dieting. you got to work for it and you will get the results. and yes, sometimes i eat processed foods cause sometimes i just really really want them. i just drink a ton of water to offset the sodium.

but ultimately, it's calories in, calories out. eat less, move more. that is the best, most basic diet there is. if you need structure, why not come up with a meal plan for one week based on basic diet guidelines and stick to that. keep your calories moderate. that'll work just as well as any book you might pay 30 bucks for. guaranteed.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I've been on Weight Watchers since mid-January 2011. I did it years ago when it was different but it didn't work for me at all. I decided to give it another chance after hearing they changed the program, and it's been helpful for me. I go to meetings every week and I find the support and face-to-face interactions/friendships with fellow members gives me extra motivation. I go to Saturday meetings and many times after meetings a small group of us goes for a healthy lunch afterwards and a 90-minute walk together.

I joined MFP a few mos ago because I like being able to track my sodium intake. I like the message boards here too.