Cat calls while working out

Options

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I think that we also need to give me A LITTLE credit here. I'm not some dumb person who can't tell the difference between a cat call and someone genuinely being thoughtful. Might I add this creeper was WHITE...?! Implying I'm racist and/or violent because a dirty old man whistled at me SUGGESTIVELY while I was trying to enjoy my walk? Not. Ok.

You're a goddess. ❤
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Ignore! The problems with them and poor upbringing....not you!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    vggb wrote: »
    trbp72 wrote: »
    Has the world gone mad?! How have we come to a position where "Swiping Left/Right" for approval or whatever the hell goes on in the world of online dating is acceptable when that is clearly based on the objectification of the still (possibly exaggerated/fake) images of the man/woman you "fancy" and yet when a real person who you could interact with on a personal level whistles at you in the street they are instantly demonised as a rapist or something?!

Given that on this particular occasion you cannot clarify whether he was being complimentary or being a jerk...perhaps it's time we stopped being such cottonwool wrapped prissies and got back into the real world where people talk to each other by moving their mouths up and down in each others company and make opinions on each other based on actual feelings gained during those interactions...instead of kneejerk/gutwrench assumptions being made.

I appreciate he may have been an asshat...but he may well not have been...all I'm saying is...no matter how you dress or what you look like...that doesn't give anyone the right to do anything...but all this hatred because society is making you think that everyone you meet is a rapist/pedophile or something of that ilk is just nonsense...most people are honest, decent, easy-going types that will help you, exchange pleasantries with you or at the very least be civil and say "hello" as a gesture of friendly acknowledgement as they pass you in the street...THIS IS NORMAL LIFE...

Being afraid of every single human being you encounter as you go through your life is what's wrong here...remember that the next time you order an UBER without a second thought...

You need to "put the shoe on the other foot".

Being aware of your surroundings is a good thing for women AND men. As a woman, age 63, I have endured much and still feel the 'sting', it affects you for life. Most of the time you can push it to the back but then something triggers those memories/feelings, like an unwanted catcall or rude intrusive remark. One out of every three women have been assaulted in one way or another. It's a sad state of affairs. I don't feel comfortable going for a walk along the river levee, which was built for walking, because I don't have a walking partner. Don't get me wrong, I am not easily intimidated or a weak fearful fem fatale, but I am more than aware that I do not have the strength of a man. That is the bottom line, am I safe at this moment? Sad isn't it?

Walk a mile in my shoes.

Amen!
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    If you consider yourself a decent guy who happens to catcall, your reaction to this conversation won't be to tell us we're being unfair on men. If you consider yourself a decent guy who happens to catcall, your reaction will be to realise the upset your behaviour is probably causing and stop. That's literally all we want from you. If you think that's unreasonable, you're not the good guy you think you are. Decent men don't knowingly cause distress to women who are just getting on with their day.
    QFT
  • princeofmind
    princeofmind Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    While I'm sure we can all agree there are lots of angles to the wider discussion that could be held around cat calling. I'm not sure why people have decided to turn this into a battle of the genders when this was just a thread about someone's negative experience and them trying to make sense of it. It's not cool for people to turn someone looking for advice and support into a flame war.

I'm sorry you had a negative experience. Some people can be jerks and not appreciate how their actions can affect others. I say ignore the *kitten* and keep doing what you're doing.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I think that we also need to give me A LITTLE credit here. I'm not some dumb person who can't tell the difference between a cat call and someone genuinely being thoughtful. Might I add this creeper was WHITE...?! Implying I'm racist and/or violent because a dirty old man whistled at me SUGGESTIVELY while I was trying to enjoy my walk? Not. Ok.
    A little credit? How about all the credit? :)

You endured an indecent bit of behavior, you called it out and were honest about your feelings, and you did it all in a very mature manner. Props to you, seriously.

You keep doing what you're doing for a healthy and safe (and hopefully very content) life. There will always be those who will try to get under your skin. You don't have to let them.

Some folks might argue this, but I truly believe there are still an awful lot of good men and women in this world, of all persuasions. Stick with them. :)

Agreed and I'm married to one of those awesome men. He was also a bit worried about it... As there ARE flashers (aggressive ones) who pop up from time to time. I'm also a runner and usually bring my dog with me for security... But it was so hot I knew it wouldn't be good for her.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Has the world gone mad?! How have we come to a position where "Swiping Left/Right" for approval or whatever the hell goes on in the world of online dating is acceptable when that is clearly based on the objectification of the still (possibly exaggerated/fake) images of the man/woman you "fancy" and yet when a real person who you could interact with on a personal level whistles at you in the street they are instantly demonised as a rapist or something?!

Given that on this particular occasion you cannot clarify whether he was being complimentary or being a jerk...perhaps it's time we stopped being such cottonwool wrapped prissies and got back into the real world where people talk to each other by moving their mouths up and down in each others company and make opinions on each other based on actual feelings gained during those interactions...instead of kneejerk/gutwrench assumptions being made.

I appreciate he may have been an asshat...but he may well not have been...all I'm saying is...no matter how you dress or what you look like...that doesn't give anyone the right to do anything...but all this hatred because society is making you think that everyone you meet is a rapist/pedophile or something of that ilk is just nonsense...most people are honest, decent, easy-going types that will help you, exchange pleasantries with you or at the very least be civil and say "hello" as a gesture of friendly acknowledgement as they pass you in the street...THIS IS NORMAL LIFE...

Being afraid of every single human being you encounter as you go through your life is what's wrong here...remember that the next time you order an UBER without a second thought...

Oh wow... Dude it has less to do with me being afraid of being attacked and more to do with feeling like a piece of meat... But thanks.

And who the eff cares if he was trying to be "complimentary"!? Is it really a man's right to assess if my body is up to par...? It's not his body to comment on!

Truth! She didn’t ask for his opinion about her body—so how about not giving it.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    A little credit? How about all the credit? :)

You endured an indecent bit of behavior, you called it out and were honest about your feelings, and you did it all in a very mature manner. Props to you, seriously.

You keep doing what you're doing for a healthy and safe (and hopefully very content) life. There will always be those who will try to get under your skin. You don't have to let them.

Some folks might argue this, but I truly believe there are still an awful lot of good men and women in this world, of all persuasions. Stick with them. :)

Agreed and I'm married to one of those awesome men. He was also a bit worried about it... As there ARE flashers (aggressive ones) who pop up from time to time. I'm also a runner and usually bring my dog with me for security... But it was so hot I knew it wouldn't be good for her.
    :)

All in all, at the end of the day I'll just say I'm glad the rudeness was all you had to put up with. I hope things stay peaceful for you going forward. :)
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    lg013 wrote: »

Oh wow... Dude it has less to do with me being afraid of being attacked and more to do with feeling like a piece of meat... But thanks.

And who the eff cares if he was trying to be "complimentary"!? Is it really a man's right to assess if my body is up to par...? It's not his body to comment on!

Truth! She didn’t ask for his opinion about her body—so how about not giving it.

I have 3 daughters, and there have been public....incidents..over men offering unsolicited comments. It never escalated to violence, but....things waaay beyond catcalls and such. Several times while the girls were still minors - mid teens. In my own "guy kind of way" I get it, really do.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Agreed. There's one individual in our neighborhood who has run after and threatened and flashed women...on the one hand, he does have a cognitive delay/deficit of some kind...on the other, he actually stalked women to their houses then paced back and forth in front of their houses while..amusing himself if you get my drift.
    Fortunately he doesn't seem to like my dogs and is deterred by men. We also haven't seen him for a good bit so I am hoping he go the help he needed.