Cat calls while working out

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    A cat call is not the same as a "hi." when i run i appreciate a "good morning." i do not appreciate a whistle. one acknowledges me as a person. one objectifies me.

I have to admit that I often won't even say Hi to a single woman out running unless I recognize her. I often run alone and don't want to come off as a creeper. If I'm running with my wife, I'm a bit friendlier.
    My husband is the same (not running, but in other social situations). Last night he complimented our waitress on her friendly demeanor. After she left her said he likes it when I'm with him because he can say things like that without it seeming creepy. As a big, scruffy, somewhat imposing-looking guy, he's aware and sensitive to how his words and actions might make another person feel, regardless of their good intent.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    A cat call is not the same as a "hi." when i run i appreciate a "good morning." i do not appreciate a whistle. one acknowledges me as a person. one objectifies me.

I have to admit that I often won't even say Hi to a single woman out running unless I recognize her. I often run alone and don't want to come off as a creeper. If I'm running with my wife, I'm a bit friendlier.
    My husband is the same (not running, but in other social situations). Last night he complimented our waitress on her friendly demeanor. After she left her said he likes it when I'm with him because he can say things like that without it seeming creepy. As a big, scruffy, somewhat imposing-looking guy, he's aware and sensitive to how his words and actions might make another person feel, regardless of their good intent.

This. The world needs more of it.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »

This. The world needs more of it.

He's pretty ok ;)
  • Mykatet
    Mykatet Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any one way "right" way to feel about this. If you were flattered, then you were. If you were grossed about by it, then you were. If it made you feel anything, then it is valid feeling. No one can tell you what you should feel about this situation.

You might get less attention if you cover up but you really are allowed to wear what you like and you are comfortable in. People can be jerks and cross boundaries for sure no matter what you are wearing.

I'd be flattered but I know that's not a popular opinion and by no means how you should feel.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    trbp72 wrote: »
    Mykatet wrote: »
    I don't think there is any one way "right" way to feel about this. If you were flattered, then you were. If you were grossed about by it, then you were. If it made you feel anything, then it is valid feeling. No one can tell you what you should feel about this situation.

You might get less attention if you cover up but you really are allowed to wear what you like and you are comfortable in. People can be jerks and cross boundaries for sure no matter what you are wearing.

I'd be flattered but I know that's not a popular opinion and by no means how you should feel.

This...and that's my final word too...

Seeing as this community is clearly as toxic as others I have experienced recently on the internets...given that most of you are all unwilling to accept an open opinion...I think I'll just stick to the food and exercise logging portion of this site...so I'll leave you to it...

Not seeing anything toxic here, just honest, open, much-needed discussion about a sensitive topic.

We accept your right to a differing opinion, but most of us (especially the women here) just don't agree with what yours happens to be. That's not toxic, that's honest. And if you are unwilling or unable to further discuss this in good faith and perhaps learn more about how these actions negatively affect most women, avoiding threads like these are likely your best option.

^^This^^ and thank you.