Women Who Lift

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited June 2019
    Then what about recomp, which is supposed to burn fat while building muscle? Confused. I know recomp is way slow and a deficit burns more fat more quickly, but does recomp also help continue burning fat?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    Then what about recomp, which is supposed to burn fat while building muscle? Confused. I know recomp is way slow and a deficit burns more fat more quickly, but does recomp also help continue burning fat?

Not an expert by any means, but I guess since a pound of muscle burns 4ish more calories than a pound of fat, you will slowly burn fat as you build more muscle if you eat at maintenance, lift with a progressive program, and hit your protein goals???
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
    whmscll wrote: »

The way I understand it, in recomp you are building muscle. This process burns energy, and because you are only eating enough calories to maintain your weight, and you are asking your body to do more than just maintain (you are asking it to build muscle) so it takes this energy, a wee bit at a time, from the fat. So slow of a process that you usually don't see much change on the scale, because the fat is being very slowly phased out at the same time the muscle is growing, which is also a slow process.

In a defcit, you are asking your body to build muscle while consuming less energy than it requires, so you are actively trying to lose body mass, and gain it at the same time. It's an uphill battle and will be more difficult and produce fewer muscle gains, but also more/faster fat loss.

I agree, it is a very slow process. I've been recomping for 7 months now and I've noticed that I've lost some body fat in certain places (i.e. back, low abs). The scale doesn't budge that much - in that period of time, I've only lost about 5 - 6 pounds since I started but I do noticed some small upper body gains. It certainly takes a lot of motivation to stick with it though, which I'm now wondering if I should stick with it or go straight for "cutting & bulking"...
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    I am 5' 4" and weigh 125 pounds. One of my current medications has a side effect of a decreased appetite. I have been at this weight for months now, and I like the weight, but I am totally weak and out of shape/tone. I want to lean and tighten up, but not lose anymore weight because I don't want to be thinner any lose what curves I have left - I just want to tighten up.
    I do unfortunately eat a TON of sugar, without many nutrients or regularity in my diet when it comes to eating (what I eat, when I eat, etc.)

I have thought about doing Strong Curves - will that help tighten my core up, too? I have wide shoulders and OK proportions, but still definitely store a bit more in the lower body region.

For someone new to lifting, who wants to just gain muscle rather than lose weight, what program would you guys reccomend, and is there a style of eating that helps?

Thank you!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    rosestring wrote: »
    I am 5' 4" and weigh 125 pounds. One of my current medications has a side effect of a decreased appetite. I have been at this weight for months now, and I like the weight, but I am totally weak and out of shape/tone. I want to lean and tighten up, but not lose anymore weight because I don't want to be thinner any lose what curves I have left - I just want to tighten up.
    I do unfortunately eat a TON of sugar, without many nutrients or regularity in my diet when it comes to eating (what I eat, when I eat, etc.)

I have thought about doing Strong Curves - will that help tighten my core up, too? I have wide shoulders and OK proportions, but still definitely store a bit more in the lower body region.

For someone new to lifting, who wants to just gain muscle rather than lose weight, what program would you guys reccomend, and is there a style of eating that helps?

Thank you!

It seems like you might like recomp... basically eat at maintenance, lift, keep weight the same, and hopefully build muscle as you burn fat. I'm not really familiar with strong curves, but any program that focuses on heavy free weights will engage the core. Of course, you can always add in extra core work if you feel your program lacks in that area. I would encourage you to at least log what you eat and make sure you meet or exceed your protein goal. Good luck!
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    It seems like you might like recomp... basically eat at maintenance, lift, keep weight the same, and hopefully build muscle as you burn fat. I'm not really familiar with strong curves, but any program that focuses on heavy free weights will engage the core. Of course, you can always add in extra core work if you feel your program lacks in that area. I would encourage you to at least log what you eat and make sure you meet or exceed your protein goal. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I will!
  • megchiasson
    megchiasson Posts: 2 Member
    I competed in crossfit for 5 years and I just switched over to power lifting due to injuries. I train a rotation of lifts all week and get at least 30 minutes of cardio in in the morning to help with cutting. I'm trying to weigh in under 138 for a weight class. 10 pounds to go and it's super hard with all the amazing summer food out.
  • farrahkhan96
    farrahkhan96 Posts: 4 Member
    I lift almost 5x a week and I love it! Been going at it for almost two weeks now!!
    Cant wait to see the results, I'm already feeling them.
    I'm looking for some nice female friends who lift and can help me on my journey. Please, feel free to add me! I havent figured out how to update my profile yet or add others but once I do I will for sure.
    Until then, add me peepz!
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 247 Member
    I been sick this last month and haven't had the energy to lift, but lifting is one of my favorite past times. I have been looking for a group of women lifting actively posting, but haven't seen one. Anyone interested in talking about lifting, add me.

This year I restarted strong lifts, but I have a slipped disk/bad knee and wasn't progressing on the bench. So I backed weight off the bench and added inclines, and subbed hip thrusts for squats.
  • tthickens637
    tthickens637 Posts: 312 Member
    Roza42 wrote: »
    I been sick this last month and haven't had the energy to lift, but lifting is one of my favorite past times. I have been looking for a group of women lifting actively posting, but haven't seen one. Anyone interested in talking about lifting, add me.

This year I restarted strong lifts, but I have a slipped disk/bad knee and wasn't progressing on the bench. So I backed weight off the bench and added inclines, and subbed hip thrusts for squats.

I feel your frustration with accommodating illness and injury! I'm a naturally active hardworking woman, but as I age (now 60) I'm paying for years of heavy lifting and, apparently, with bad form (herniated disk). I am told my back will not heal without surgery (Spinal Stenosis too) - which I am unwilling to do. So squats are a problem for me too. Any new alternative exercises are welcomed. Thanks for sharing and feel free to add me.

PS Check out FB for good forums too!
  • jaifeiertag8412
    jaifeiertag8412 Posts: 7 Member
    I’m trying to get started but I got a long way to go 💪
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Roza42 wrote: »

I feel your frustration with accommodating illness and injury! I'm a naturally active hardworking woman, but as I age (now 60) I'm paying for years of heavy lifting and, apparently, with bad form (herniated disk). I am told my back will not heal without surgery (Spinal Stenosis too) - which I am unwilling to do. So squats are a problem for me too. Any new alternative exercises are welcomed. Thanks for sharing and feel free to add me.

PS Check out FB for good forums too!

I too have trouble with squats—hip impingement limits my range of motion and recruits smaller hip muscles to take a greater part of the load (so, pain when I try to squat heavy).

Front squats are a bit less painful for me, but I mostly concentrate on bringing up my single leg work (split squats, lunges, step ups) to compensate for not being able to squat much. Deadlifts & hip thrusts are okay to go heavy for me, so between all that and adding some loaded glute bridges and leg press, I can still work my legs pretty hard.
  • Nanaluvs2sweat
    Nanaluvs2sweat Posts: 97 Member
    Hi. I’m very new here and new to fitness but I have discovered strength training and I love it so if you want to be friends maybe you can give me some advice. 😊 I have no clue what I am doing.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited July 2019
    I've been lifting for 22 months, basically in maintenance (or accidental bulk/cut cycles, not sure which) after dropping 10 lbs of of baby weight. It's been a long recomp.
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
    Niki_Fitz wrote: »
    I've been lifting for 22 months, basically in maintenance (or accidental bulk/cut cycles, not sure which) after dropping 10 lbs of of baby weight. It's been a long recomp.

You look amazing!
    I too, am recomping - Going on 8 months soon. I know its a super long process but well worth the results!
  • jaroby
    jaroby Posts: 152 Member
    edited July 2019
    Trouble shooting question:

I just posted this in another thread but knew this group of lifting ladies would also have good insight. :D

I’m 31 5ft6in 194lbs. Mama of 3 kids. Baby is 14m weaned him 6 to 8 wks ago.
    When I breastfeed I have to maintain min of 2400+ cal or the milk dries up FAST.
    My body put on fat *after* he was born. (I think I need a certain bf% to nurse the little humans.)
    I start with all this b/c it’s possible the hormones are still at play and from past experience my body is quite sensitive to them.

Onward with other info...
    I workout 30-40mins a day M-F with fitnessblender.com weights, cardio, etc. sometimes I skip a video & go run cuz I like it.
    My TDEE according to various calculators runs from 2400-3,000 depending on my estimated daily activity level.
    I’ve been reducing my calories down by 100 every 2wks and have been sitting at 1800 a day for the last month.

I weigh the same. No loss. 194. It’s what I weighed at 9m pregnant last year. :smiley: It’s been 75 days of tracking, 4wks of those at what I thought was a good deficit (1800). My clothes fit different tho so inches must be losing? I am ALL FOR NSV’s! But the thing is, I don’t want to recomp. Ha! I’m happy with my muscle! I can *see* it in my leaner spots under the extra 20-30lbs.

Must I drop to an even greater deficit?? MFP has my “lose 1lb a week” somewhere around 1700. I’m not sure if my activity level as a mom is active or lightly active so I’ve just pegged my cal at 1800 and here and there I plug in my exercise cal’s and eat them back.

I know the scale can get stuck sometimes and I know not to put a lot of stock into it but man alive, I’d like to drop to around 170/160 and see how I feel. I don’t have the mental stamina to recomp a whole freaking 20lbs. That’s why I slowly dropped to really close to “lose 1lb a week” cal goal and held it there for a month thinking I’d reassess and make a new plan if needed. I was hoping not to have to do a deeper deficit.

Am I completely off my rocker or do I need to drop even lower!? And then again, how *much* lower!?

-I’m going to start taking measurements every 2wks to track a different progress point.
    -I strive to eat 4.oz protein at every meal + veggies and fill in the rest with heavy hitter carbs & fat. I drink 100oz+ water a day.
    -I weigh everything with a food scale or measuring cups if it’s liquid.

Sorry this got so long, wanted to give as much info as possible to better help anyone willing to shoot some advice my way. :smile:

Thanks in advance!!
  • kalaniz80
    kalaniz80 Posts: 1 Member
    I been lifting since October. I have a trainer. I love it! My goal is to try a competition show for figure bodybuilding. It's been a slow progress but I have seen changes. I am still trying to get the hang of the diet. It's been the hardest for me.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    jaroby wrote: »

I just posted this in another thread but knew this group of lifting ladies would also have good insight. :D

When I breastfeed I have to maintain min of 2400+ cal or the milk dries up FAST.
    My body put on fat *after* he was born. (I think I need a certain bf% to nurse the little humans.)
    I start with all this b/c it’s possible the hormones are still at play and from past experience my body is quite sensitive to them.

I workout 30-40mins a day M-F with fitnessblender.com weights, cardio, etc. sometimes I skip a video & go run cuz I like it.
    My TDEE according to various calculators runs from 2400-3,000 depending on my estimated daily activity level.
    I’ve been reducing my calories down by 100 every 2wks and have been sitting at 1800 a day for the last month.

I weigh the same. No loss. 194. It’s what I weighed at 9m pregnant last year. :smiley: It’s been 75 days of tracking, 4wks of those at what I thought was a good deficit (1800). My clothes fit different tho so inches must be losing? I am ALL FOR NSV’s! But the thing is, I don’t want to recomp. Ha! I’m happy with my muscle! I can *see* it in my leaner spots under the extra 20-30lbs.

Must I drop to an even greater deficit?? MFP has my “lose 1lb a week” somewhere around 1700. I’m not sure if my activity level as a mom is active or lightly active so I’ve just pegged my cal at 1800 and here and there I plug in my exercise cal’s and eat them back.

I know the scale can get stuck sometimes and I know not to put a lot of stock into it but man alive, I’d like to drop to around 170/160 and see how I feel. I don’t have the mental stamina to recomp a whole freaking 20lbs. That’s why I slowly dropped to really close to “lose 1lb a week” cal goal and held it there for a month thinking I’d reassess and make a new plan if needed. I was hoping not to have to do a deeper deficit.

Am I completely off my rocker or do I need to drop even lower!? And then again, how *much* lower!?

-I’m going to start taking measurements every 2wks to track a different progress point.
    -I strive to eat 4.oz protein at every meal + veggies and fill in the rest with heavy hitter carbs & fat. I drink 100oz+ water a day.

Sorry this got so long, wanted to give as much info as possible to better help anyone willing to shoot some advice my way. :smile:

Thanks in advance!!

As advised in your duplicate post in the ‘recomposition’ thread, you would probably get a better response starting your own thread.

Include your workout calorie burn and how you weigh or measure your calorie intake. Opening your food diary would be useful too.

Cheers, h.
  • jaroby
    jaroby Posts: 152 Member
    jaroby wrote: »

Thanks in advance!!

As advised in your duplicate post in the ‘recomposition’ thread, you would probably get a better response starting your own thread.

Include your workout calorie burn and how you weigh or measure your calorie intake. Opening your food diary would be useful too.

Cheers, h.

Thanks, I’ll try that.

I’ve got to be honest, I’ve been reading in the threads for years and I’ve noticed that when people post their own threads there can seem to be very little visibility & traction since it can get lost in the numbers.

Not gonna lie, it’s a bit surprising to be told “please post your question somewhere else” 2 separate times.

Is the info about how I do weigh my food not visible? I remember including that, I’ve bolded it above. Let me know if it’s still not showing.