Adding recipes and having calories/protein come out right

Options
veggievic
veggievic Posts: 5 Member
I have added recipes and I cannot get the calories/protein/carbs to calculate properly. It doesn't always allow for the proper amounts in the ingredients, so I do have to play with it a bit. But one recipe came out as 23,000 calories per serving!! Yikes! It's frustrating to go through the process of entering a recipe only to have the figures so far off. Any ideas?

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    HOw are you entering stuff? I've never had that problem and I create recipes all the time!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    If you’re uploading recipes from the internet you’ll need to check the app has ‘read’ the recipe properly. You may need to adjust some ingredients/quantities/entries as it doesn’t always pick up a sensible entry!

Personally I always search for alternatives for every single ingredient even if they look ok because then I’m sure the final calorie breakdown is as accurate as I can get it.
  • veggievic
    veggievic Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    HOw are you entering stuff? I've never had that problem and I create recipes all the time!

I type them in from the recipe. Sometimes I can upload a recipe from the web. It happens generally when I manually add recipes. I tried to upload Hearty Indian Dal. One of the ingredients is red lentil, one cup dried. It doesn’t calculate properly in the nutrients section. It either says a serving size has 133 cal or 23,000 cal. Kind of confusing.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    veggievic wrote: »
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »

I type them in from the recipe. Sometimes I can upload a recipe from the web. It happens generally when I manually add recipes. I tried to upload Hearty Indian Dal. One of the ingredients is red lentil, one cup dried. It doesn’t calculate properly in the nutrients section. It either says a serving size has 133 cal or 23,000 cal. Kind of confusing.

Hm that's weird. I manually add all the time. Firstly though, weigh the lentils (and everything else), not cup measure them, and choose the red lentil grams/lbs entry - there should be a USDA entry for red lentils on there. I try to use USDA entries or NUTTAB (australian version of USDA) for everything.

I weight everything, enter as good an entry as I can get for each thing, then I add all the weights together to create the final weight.

So just a random example:

500g meat + 100g onions + 200g tinned tomato + 200g mushrooms = 1kg total recipe weight.

Then I make the "serving size" be 10 (as in 10 lots of 100g) and then it's easy to log it, so if I eat 250g of the final product, I log 2.5 serves