Showering

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    aziz_n1 wrote: »
    I normally have two showers a day if I’m exercising, in the morning and then post exercise, later in the day. For me that’s enough, any more would dry the skin, unless I moisturize.
    I know some people have more, including showering just before they exercise and again after.
    Wonder what people’s view is on this? Also, do you mind showering in a Public Changing room? I know people have their different reasons.

I shower after getting yucky sweaty, which usually means doing something active outdoors in the summer. (I don't get sweaty working out in a properly air conditioned room.) I also shower after being out in the woods during tick season. Tick season overlaps with gardening season, and when I had a bigger garden I would sometimes shower 3 x per day, between being in the woods and in the garden.

I wouldn't wash my hair each time. I normally wash it every three days or so, but if it got super sweaty I'd wash it more.

My shampoo is mild. I use it for bodywash. It doesn't dry my skin.

What do you mean by "showering in a Public Changing room"? Is this like an open shower? I know they exist - see them on TV - but the only time I've ever had to use one was when I was in Boot Camp. I didn't mind, as there was no choice. In school and in every gym to which I have ever belonged there were private shower stalls for women. Female privilege!
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited July 2019
    Shower after morning workout before heading to work. Bird bath wash in private bathroom after PM workout or swim (enough to keep the stink down on the train ride home), then full shower when I get home.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    I work from home and exercise here too. So I take around two a day...I like to be fresh smelling
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    During the week, I'll usually shower before leaving for work and then again after my runs in the evening (I'm a very heavy sweater and I will definitely break out if I don't). On the weekends, I'll usually run as soon as I get up and shower after, so just the one. My skin is heavily inclined towards being oily, so even with two showers and something on my face to keep the oil in check in the mornings, I'm still nowhere close to dry skin. I mostly do outdoor running, but when I go to the gym I'll usually wash my face before I leave and shower at home. I hate public showers, but some of that might be the autism.
  • bellaehret
    bellaehret Posts: 5 Member
    It all revolves around my work schedule, which impacts my workout schedule. If I work an open I'll shower at night after my workout, or if I work a closing shift I'll either shower in the morning after my workout before work, or after my closing shift at night. It's usually once a day.

I shower wherever as long as its clean. I showered at my gym and it's all good. But the best showering experience will always be at home.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I shower every other day, which usually ends up being gym days and I shower after a workout. Usually at the gym, which I have no problem using. Sometimes I'm short on time so I wipe my face and shower at home.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Once a month. I've never had any complaints, skin infections or other health problems. I wash my hair weekly in the kitchen sink and soak my feet if they need it once in a while.

Really?
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    I never shower at the gym. I walk to and from the gym and never go anywhere right after except home, so there's no point.

I tend to have one shower in the evening. My hair doesn't love being blow dried very often so I shower in the evening before or after dinner and let it air dry. I also prefer to go to bed clean. (If I need it I shower in the morning but I only tend to need it when it's very hot at night, which is rare here.)
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    I'm ex-forces so got used to communal showers from an early age. I workout mostly at home now so it's no longer an issue. I shower once, sometimes twice a day depending on how icky I feel. Usually shower at night before bed as I workout in the evening. Get the shower nice and hot helps me sleep too. If I shower in the morning I make sure to finish by turning it all the way to stone cold for a few minutes brrrr, but it really vitalises me in the morning.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    In the summer, I sweat at night and it pours when I do my physiotherapy exercises, so I have to shower before work.

One of the gyms I go to has a very small 3 shower spigot room where the pool is. You will be facing people and they will be very naked. I have done it/will do it but ideally I’ll just rinse off and take a proper shower at home. If there are stalls, like at another gym I’ve been to, I will have my full shower there.

I usually only bring the full complement of shower things when I swim, so I don’t shower after non-swim workouts until I get home. I probably should though I just can’t fit it all in my bag with books, lunch, dinner, breakfast, sweater, etc. Swimming has its own extra bag.

When you all shower at the gym, how do you get dry? I use my towel but my skin is still damp after. I always feel wet & gross even though im clean because im never actually dry...at home I will air dry a few minutes but you can’t do that in the change room lol
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    I usually workout daily at 530 am so I shower at home afterward. Only wash my hair 2-3x a week (thank god for dry shampoo!)

I have never showered at the gym. I don’t even like to shower at hotels (unless it’s an extended stay). Something about “public” showers really grosses me out.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    The gym/pools I've used most often have private changing rooms/cubicles with a built in shower. Privacy guaranteed.

Otherwise, I either work out in the morning or evening, which solves the dilemma of extra showers. Too much washing is actually really bad for skin health, can damage the balance of healthy bacteria and can lead to an increase in unhealthy bacteria. I wouldn't shower three times a day unless I had a really good reason!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Typically once a day (AM before work or at night before bed) and always at home. If I haven't worked out I skip washing my hair and do it every other day.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Usually once a day, but if my workout is in the evening maybe twice if I think I need it. I run in the mornings and see no need to shower before, so I shower after. If I swim I follow the rules and shower before as well as after, but the before is just getting wet so I don't really count it.

I wash my hair usually every other day.

My gym has stalled showers and I have no issue with using them.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    kiela64 wrote: »
    In the summer, I sweat at night and it pours when I do my physiotherapy exercises, so I have to shower before work.

One of the gyms I go to has a very small 3 shower spigot room where the pool is. You will be facing people and they will be very naked. I have done it/will do it but ideally I’ll just rinse off and take a proper shower at home. If there are stalls, like at another gym I’ve been to, I will have my full shower there.

I usually only bring the full complement of shower things when I swim, so I don’t shower after non-swim workouts until I get home. I probably should though I just can’t fit it all in my bag with books, lunch, dinner, breakfast, sweater, etc. Swimming has its own extra bag.

When you all shower at the gym, how do you get dry? I use my towel but my skin is still damp after. I always feel wet & gross even though im clean because im never actually dry...at home I will air dry a few minutes but you can’t do that in the change room lol

I wear a loose T-shirt, something easy to slip on and shorts. I literally dry, and lotion right in the shower ( shower off obviously) and keep my clothes by the shower and change right in there if there’s a lot of ppl. Or just sit around in a towel for a few as I’m fixing my hair then change in the private changing room.

The dampness doesn’t bother me tbh.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    kiela64 wrote: »

I wear a loose T-shirt, something easy to slip on and shorts. I literally dry, and lotion right in the shower ( shower off obviously) and keep my clothes by the shower and change right in there if there’s a lot of ppl. Or just sit around in a towel for a few as I’m fixing my hair then change in the private changing room.

The dampness doesn’t bother me tbh.

If the shower is communal/a circle space this doesn't really work! But yes, I can dry better if I'm in a stall shower space for sure. My skin still feels damp though. It makes me feel like I'm going to get moldy or something...lol but maybe I'm overthinking it.