Help me with my salt addiction!

Options
I am doing great on everything else, but my salt intake sometimes gets out of control! any and all suggestions welcome. I had a horrible high sodium day yesterday and scale says I retained 1.8 lbs of water because of it! I'm starting off the day good so far...crossing my fingers!

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    also...I've tried Ms Dash and it is ok but doesn't forgo the addiction to the real thing!
  • nighthawk584
    Options
    I have high blood pressure which is much better and controllable now that I lost 59 lbs. Yeah, I know, I just need to wean off so much salt. Yesterday I went around 2000 mg over suggested amount. (shouldn't have eaten so much Salsa Verde Chicken!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure which is much better and controllable now that I lost 59 lbs. Yeah, I know, I just need to wean off so much salt. Yesterday I went around 2000 mg over suggested amount. (shouldn't have eaten so much Salsa Verde Chicken!

Are you checking your entries. Many entries have the wrong sodium amounts in (people often list Salt content rather than Sodium and Salt is only around 40% sodium).
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor tell you to limit sodium, and if so, how much sodium did they tell you to eat?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

That is a typical day for me. Actually it is not because I don't record the salt I add to my food which is plentiful so mine is much higher.
  • nighthawk584
    Options

Are you checking your entries. Many entries have the wrong sodium amounts in (people often list Salt content rather than Sodium and Salt is only around 40% sodium).

I am checking them . This certain recipe I even put in the exact ingredients I used instead of what the OP had in theirs. It was more calories and more salt with my figures. I'm sure I probably didn't intake that much over but it was still higher than I needed!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    If you want to swap out some of your added salt, try sprinkling onion powder on your foods.

I love my salt, too. I probably have 7 or 8 different salts in my kitchen. 😉
  • nighthawk584
    edited August 2019
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Did your doctor tell you to limit sodium, and if so, how much sodium did they tell you to eat?

My Dr said to not overdo it but never gave me an amount. I take blood pressure pills and my BP right now is very low because of massive weight loss, which is great! I've always had trouble with the Salt shaker though.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

My Dr said to not overdo it but never gave me an amount. I take blood pressure pills and my BP right now is very low because of massive weight loss, which is great! I've always had trouble with the Salt shaker though.

If your BP is really low, ask your doctor whether your medication needs to be changed or the dose lowered. Hopefully one day you won't need the medication anymore.

Since you are being treated for a condition related to sodium, I'd ask your doctor for a sodium target (or a referral to a registered dietitian if appropriate). The MFP default may or may not be appropriate for you.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Yes I have this issue too!
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    For some foods using some lemon juice can help. I realize this won't work for all recipes but it's worth a try. It's probably better more often with single items instead of casserole type things.

One you could try is a lighter version of chicken piccata - go easy on the capers and use less added salt overall. Look for a recipe with less oil and butter to save calories. It also doesn't *have* to be served with pasta.
  • nighthawk584
    Options

Has your doctor adjusted your meds since your weight loss?

Not yet, I see them in 2 months for the 6 month checkup
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I love salt too. I don’t have high BP, but my husband does. So, I cook, pretty much, without adding salt. Learning to love experimenting with spices and herbs. I feel a little guilty about adding salt to my food in front of him, but he never says anything. I especially love my flake salt and pink Himalayan salt. Gotta have salt on my eggs and popcorn.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Has your doctor adjusted your meds since your weight loss?

Not yet, I see them in 2 months for the 6 month checkup

Meanwhile, you could ask them for a salt target or a referral to a registered dietitian.

I have no medical reason to worry about salt intake and just accept than after I have Chinese food I will be dealing with a little water retention for a few days.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I have high BP and with my Dr's guidance, eat a lowER sodium diet of 1500 - 2000 mg/day. It ain't that hard, and in my previous non-high-BP life I would pour a quarter cup of salt on some steaks before throwing them on the grill LOL You don't need Dash or any artificial "salt-like" substitute; they taste pretty bad and don't satiate the desire for salt. Just gradually cut down on the salt until it hits the number you want to hit. As a side effect you'll start noticing that you're generally eating healthier and less processed foods as you migrate away from the salt, which is a good thing.

Try getting through a whole week without blowing MFP's 2300 mg target, and then set it to 2000 and see if you can do it. Eliminate fast food and processed foods entirely, and you'll be half way there.

I only pay attention to calories and sodium in MFP.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

I'm a salty girl, too. ;)

What I did was fill my personal salt shaker at home with 50% regular table salt and 50% No Salt (potassium chloride). Mix it up and use to taste. I didn't like the taste of the No Salt on its own, but blended like that I can't tell the difference. Cut my added salt in half and also gave me a bit of a potassium boost.

Table salt? You don't invoke the power of the Himalayas?

I may have to try this little hack of yours. I am probably one of those people who should actually care about my sodium a little. It is not like I have 5 salt shakers in my house, 4 of which get used regularly, 2 of which are in the kitchen that get refilled QUITE often or anything. Yep... no surprise... I am the saltiest person alive.