Carnivore diet

Options
dws00
dws00 Posts: 159 Member
Anyone have any experience with the carnivore diet? Good or bad? Thanks.

Replies

• dws00
    dws00 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Anyone???
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Friend of mine on here does the carnivore diet - @T1DCarnivoreRunner

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I mean I like meat and cheese as much as the next person. But it doesn't sound healthy or sustainable. Supposedly people can get thier micronutrients from bone broth and such, but I find it hard to believe nutritional deficiancies wont creep up along the way. I mean I guess if it really worked for you as a lifetime WOE, you could supplement with a multivitamin. But I personally would get very bored of nothing but meat and dairy quick.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Roza42 wrote: »
    Fiber is an important nutrient for humans.

I couldn't imagine the constipation effect!

? I don't get it. Carnivores generally eat the stomach content of prey as well. You know wolves are chowing down their rodents whole. What am I missing?

? I don't get it. Carnivores generally eat the stomach content of prey as well. You know wolves are chowing down their rodents whole. What am I missing?

You're missing that this is a diet plan, I guess. I don't believe people following a carnivore diet are actually hunting down prey and eating the entire animal, including stomach contents.

Sorry, just saying that carnivores eat veggies and grass as well. But I guess carnivore stands for I don't like vegetable matter, lol.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

You're missing that this is a diet plan, I guess. I don't believe people following a carnivore diet are actually hunting down prey and eating the entire animal, including stomach contents.

Sorry, just saying that carnivores eat veggies and grass as well. But I guess carnivore stands for I don't like vegetable matter, lol.

Eh? I like veggies fine, but if I follow a way of eating that doesn't allow veggies, then no veggies...or grass....or trees and flowers.

Sounds awfully restrictive to me.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a group on MFP. Fiber is necessary to best digest other plants, but not for carnivores. And carnivores don't eat "vegetables and grass" - that does not even make sense to anyone who understands what the word "carnivore" means.

Just gonna leave this here:
    "Some carnivores, called obligate carnivores, depend only on meat for survival. Their bodies cannot digest plants properly. Plants do not provide enough nutrients for obligate carnivores. All cats, from small house cats to huge tigers, are obligate carnivores.

Most carnivores are not obligate carnivores. A hypercarnivore is an organism that depends on animals for at least 70 percent of its diet. Plants, fungi, and other nutrients make up the rest of their food. All obligate carnivores, including cats, are hypercarnivores. Sea stars, which prey mostly on clams and oysters, are also hypercarnivores.

Mesocarnivores depend on animal meat for at least 50 percent of their diet. Foxes are mesocarnivores. They also eat fruits, vegetables, and fungi.

Hypocarnivores depend on animal meat for less than 30 percent of their diet. Most species of bears are hypocarnivores. They eat meat, fish, berries, nuts, and even the roots and bulbs of plants. Hypocarnivores such as bears are also considered omnivores."

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/carnivore/
    My cats eat grass when they don’t feel well.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a group on MFP. Fiber is necessary to best digest other plants, but not for carnivores. And carnivores don't eat "vegetables and grass" - that does not even make sense to anyone who understands what the word "carnivore" means.

Just gonna leave this here:
    "Some carnivores, called obligate carnivores, depend only on meat for survival. Their bodies cannot digest plants properly. Plants do not provide enough nutrients for obligate carnivores. All cats, from small house cats to huge tigers, are obligate carnivores.

Most carnivores are not obligate carnivores. A hypercarnivore is an organism that depends on animals for at least 70 percent of its diet. Plants, fungi, and other nutrients make up the rest of their food. All obligate carnivores, including cats, are hypercarnivores. Sea stars, which prey mostly on clams and oysters, are also hypercarnivores.

Mesocarnivores depend on animal meat for at least 50 percent of their diet. Foxes are mesocarnivores. They also eat fruits, vegetables, and fungi.

Hypocarnivores depend on animal meat for less than 30 percent of their diet. Most species of bears are hypocarnivores. They eat meat, fish, berries, nuts, and even the roots and bulbs of plants. Hypocarnivores such as bears are also considered omnivores."

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/carnivore/

Thanks for that!