Carnivore diet

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a group on MFP. Fiber is necessary to best digest other plants, but not for carnivores. And carnivores don't eat "vegetables and grass" - that does not even make sense to anyone who understands what the word "carnivore" means.

Just gonna leave this here:
    "Some carnivores, called obligate carnivores, depend only on meat for survival. Their bodies cannot digest plants properly. Plants do not provide enough nutrients for obligate carnivores. All cats, from small house cats to huge tigers, are obligate carnivores.

Most carnivores are not obligate carnivores. A hypercarnivore is an organism that depends on animals for at least 70 percent of its diet. Plants, fungi, and other nutrients make up the rest of their food. All obligate carnivores, including cats, are hypercarnivores. Sea stars, which prey mostly on clams and oysters, are also hypercarnivores.

Mesocarnivores depend on animal meat for at least 50 percent of their diet. Foxes are mesocarnivores. They also eat fruits, vegetables, and fungi.

Hypocarnivores depend on animal meat for less than 30 percent of their diet. Most species of bears are hypocarnivores. They eat meat, fish, berries, nuts, and even the roots and bulbs of plants. Hypocarnivores such as bears are also considered omnivores."

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/carnivore/

By that definition, vegans are carnivores... specifically hypocarnivores since less than 30% of their diet comes from animal meat.

A simple dictionary definition:
    an animal (such as a dog, fox, crocodile, or shark) that feeds primarily or exclusively on animal matter

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/carnivore

I can't help that you disagree with scientific classification. This is another instance of facts being greater than your personal opinion, though.

Even if you go off the definition that includes vegans as carnivores, that doesn't change the fact tha we are talking about a specific WOE. Just like you can't claim to be eating a keto diet when you eat a dozen pop-tarts every day, you can't say you follow the carnivore WOE and also eat a bunch of salads. Or, you could say about anything, I suppose... that doesn't make it so. There are clear parameters about what is or is not carnivore. I'm really loose whereas some carnivore purists are on the opposite side if the spectrum. I personally believe it is ok to do carnivore as it works for you. Still, there is a difference between omnivores and carnivores. A WOE with "grass" (salad) is not a carnivore WOE.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    naomi8888 wrote: »
    I have heard Jordan Peterson and his daughter love it for managing autoimmune issues.

A close friend of mine also uses a carnivore-like diet to manage her autoimmune disease. However, even though that WOE helps her feel better, she can't manage it 100% of the time. It's too restrictive. She's been experimenting with introducing very small amounts of plants.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    BTW, pork chitterlings, livers, bladders, and ground meats (including ground digestive parts) are all carnivore-friendly.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @BecomingBane

I was just trying to be funny. I do appreciate the info on carnivores. Thank you
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I respond exceedingly well to a fairly strict low carb diet so tried an all meat diet back in January I think (whatever world carnivore month was). I didn't experience any benefit -- other than deeper ketosis if that can be considered a benefit which I do not like. So of course I didn't stick with it.

I will say that between a plant based low carb diet (that still includes meat just the majority of food coming from plants) and a meat based diet (that still includes plants) I do better on a meat based diet eating less vegetables. I still eat them with every meal -- I love fruits, vegetables, nuts and all of that so it's not a hardship -- but I no longer eat them with a "more is better" mindset and feel better for it.

Excellent resource if anyone is interested:
    The Ultimate Guide to the Carnivore Diet

Table of Contents

1. What is the carnivore diet?
    1. Keto vs Paleo vs Carnivore: just a new trend?
    2. How can carnivore diets be ketogenic when they have so much protein?
    3. Are there any dangers to carnivore diets?
    4. Humans: carnivores or omnivores?
    1. Humans need meat
    2. Don't humans need plants?
    3. Anti-nutrients and metabolic changes
    4. Potassium
    5. Magnesium
    6. Vitamin C
    5. Won’t I need supplements on the carnivore diet?
    6. Won’t the carnivore diet leave me fiber deficient?
    7. Can a carnivore diet be healthy?
    8. Are carnivores just as crazy as vegans?
    9. Why are so many carnivores into Bitcoin?
    10. Conclusion

Co-Written by L. Amber O’Hearn and Raphael Sirtoli
    Scientifically Reviewed by Sarah Neidler, PhD
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Fiber is an important nutrient for humans.

I couldn't imagine the constipation effect!

Coyotes are 90% carnivorous (they do also like berries and sometimes eat grass, etc.) Their scat looks very unlike that of domesticated dogs because of all the fur they consume. So, they are getting plenty of fiber ;)

I use coyotes for an example because I see their scat in my woods from time to time, and I always marvel how unlike dogs' it is.

Pics: http://www.foremostcoyotehunting.com/2017/03/animal-feces-coyote-poop.html
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 I am very familiar with coyote scat, I see scat everywhere I hike and even on my driveway. I live on a ravine and i hear them at night. My cats and dog love to go outside but I keep a very close eye on them. Lol I have taken pictures of the scat on our driveway and sent it to my husband, just in case he does not believe.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Coyotes are 90% carnivorous (they do also like berries and sometimes eat grass, etc.) Their scat looks very unlike that of domesticated dogs because of all the fur they consume. So, they are getting plenty of fiber ;)

I use coyotes for an example because I see their scat in my woods from time to time, and I always marvel how unlike dogs' it is.

Pics: http://www.foremostcoyotehunting.com/2017/03/animal-feces-coyote-poop.html

Love the link. I see coyote scat pretty often on trail. I'm sure I have some photos I've taken on my phone somewhere. Don't know why but I find their poop so interesting along with every other type of animal scat that I find.

My comment was based on personal experience solely. My digestion works so great now that my fiber intake is always north of 50 grams. I didn't even realize how "hard" I had it before. 😁
  • JusstSara
    JusstSara Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    dws00 wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with the carnivore diet? Good or bad? Thanks.

I've been experimenting with it for a bit now, do you have any specific questions? I'm not full carnivore at this point, but mix in carnivore days/weeks into my LC plan. On my carnivore days I eat mostly beef, but do add in small amounts of eggs, seafood, pork and then dairy (HWC and ghee mostly), when I feel like it. I also still drink coffee and uses spices.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Love the link. I see coyote scat pretty often on trail. I'm sure I have some photos I've taken on my phone somewhere. Don't know why but I find their poop so interesting along with every other type of animal scat that I find.

My comment was based on personal experience solely. My digestion works so great now that my fiber intake is always north of 50 grams. I didn't even realize how "hard" I had it before. 😁

You and @L1zardQueen are making me feel less weird for my interest in coyote scat, lol!

It may not have been obvious, but I was agreeing with you on fiber. I certainly need fiber to be regular. A human with a Carnivore WOE wouldn't be getting all the fiber carnivores in the wild get.