FASHIONISTAS ~ Using FASHION as motivation?

Options

Replies

• dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I find that when I am in a slump (emotionally) and wear one of my best outfits and feel extra stylish, it lifts my mood and keeps me from comfort eating.

Even today at work, I am not dressed particularly stylish as it is casual Friday but I am wearing figure-hugging jeans and a cropped sweatshirt (as in, 0% belly showing but more body con than a big baggy sweatshirt) and I think that helped me to steer clear of the donuts a sales rep brought in.

Fashion has been a huge motivator for me in weight loss and sometimes I think I'm a little too fashion-obsessed for my age (41) but I believe I'm making up for the twenty years I lost wearing only plus size styles.

Growing up, I was never fashion conscious. Then I gained weight at the end of college and with nothing to choose from, I was... um... definitely NOT fashion conscious.

What resonates with me most in what you said @seltzermint555 is the making up for the years lost when I felt awkward af shopping with friends. I definitely feel that! I dress better now than I ever have in my entire life and I find it fun to see something and be reasonably sure it would fit / be flattering. (Well minus dresses, but dresses are the one thing I'm trying to battle into trying because I've been terrified of them for so long...).

So yeah... looking cute has become a HUGE motivator for me as well.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,367 Member
    Options
    I ACTUALLY bought summer dresses this year .... now that I am 3 months into maintenance. And am actively looking at sewing patterns, now that I have less fear of changing sizes and actually out-growing things between the time I cus them out and the time they are stitched up.

Altering clothes down can be tricky-to-impossible depending on your skill level (mine isn't super-high) and the seams in quesion. Enlarging is often right out of scope, even on simple thing.
  • darklyndsea
    darklyndsea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm not generally a fashionista, but sometimes I see people wearing cute workout clothes on the trail and feel like cute workout clothes would be a nice extra motivation to work out. But when I look in stores, either the workout clothes are super revealing (I don't want to have *more* places to forget to apply sunscreen), or they're just....blerch. What kind of athletic clothes do you fashionistas wear?
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I'm not generally a fashionista, but sometimes I see people wearing cute workout clothes on the trail and feel like cute workout clothes would be a nice extra motivation to work out. But when I look in stores, either the workout clothes are super revealing (I don't want to have *more* places to forget to apply sunscreen), or they're just....blerch. What kind of athletic clothes do you fashionistas wear?

I am NOT a fashionista, but I like the CALIA line by Carrie Underwood. I own one modest CALIA t-shirt that I picked up at a local sporting goods store (first time for that too). I would love to get some leggings, but I haven't crossed that bridge yet.

J.C. Penney used to have nice workout clothes, but the store near me closed. :/
  • sarawilliams5889
    sarawilliams5889 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have sooo many clothes in my closet that I would love to fit into again!! Can’t bare to throw them out. What a good motivator to go and visit them when that voice screaming “eat all the food” comes along!
  • corriepelc
    corriepelc Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Fashion a HUGE motivation factor for me. I've always loved clothes and always felt that I could never be trendy when I was overweight, and could never find anything that fit correctly. Now I have the opposite problem were 95% of what I try on fits great and I want to buy it all. LOL

At my highest weight, I was wearing XL shirts and L dresses to hide my stomach and hips, and I was barely fitting into size 16 jeans. Now my closet is full of XS dresses and shirts, and while I still struggle with jeans (thanks, Mom, for the booty!) I range from sizes 6-10 depending on the brand. It may sound superficial, but to me I feel special and just better knowing I'm wearing a smaller size. It really does help me make different choices.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    MidModJenn wrote: »
    Even though I have a long way to go (100 lbs to lose), I work to be fashionable now so that I still feel good about myself at this size. Thank god for Eloquii and Universal Standard! Always gives me a little thrill when people (especially smaller size) ask me where I got a particular piece. :) I do have a Pinterest board that I keep for motivation, it certainly helps!

I also love Pinterest for style/fashion ideas and inspiration!
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I’m not a fashionista, but I did buy a dress specifically for scaleless victories!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I've never really been a follower of fashion, even when I was young and slim, but now in my fifties I'm finding that I take much more of an interest in clothing and style than I ever did when I was bigger! I'm not too worried about whatever the latest trends are, but I like being able to choose clothes that actually fit well and look nice rather than, as someone else said, "sacks of fabric" just to cover everything up.

For someone who, for the past twenty years or more, has never been much interested beyond "do I like the colour?" and "does it cover my belly/butt?", I have an astonishing array of "age 40+" style blogs bookmarked...! ;) Money is tight but I've found some nice stuff at the thrift store while losing weight, and I love going in and trying on styles and items that I would never have looked twice at when I was fat. It's fun to experiment and see what suits me now!

Plus I can wear higher heels again! I couldn't balance in them when I was obese, and now I can. Most of my "smart" shoes/sandals are now at least 3" heels... :)
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Fitting into clothes is a big motivation for me to stay on track. When I find myself getting lazy, I try on swim suits and book a trip somewhere where I have to wear one.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I like going back through stuff, I have a big pile of beautiful things that have been stashed away for about 15 years.

Never wanted to spend any actual money when I was at my heaviest, I didn't feel like it was worth it. It all looked awful anyway.

I do find though that there are some things I have kept because I loved them, and although I can get back into them they don't look the same. I need to get my head around that I am not the same shape, and not 23 any more!
    And of course that clears space for beautiful clothes that suit my life now.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I like going back through stuff, I have a big pile of beautiful things that have been stashed away for about 15 years.

Never wanted to spend any actual money when I was at my heaviest, I didn't feel like it was worth it. It all looked awful anyway.

I do find though that there are some things I have kept because I loved them, and although I can get back into them they don't look the same. I need to get my head around that I am not the same shape, and not 23 any more!
    And of course that clears space for beautiful clothes that suit my life now.

I had this issue too - things I loved or that I'd kept for sentimental reasons as much as anything else, and now they're just not flattering at all! I'll still keep the dress I wore on the first blind date with my husband of 30 years, but I'll never wear it again. :)