Data nerdery: influence of surgery on waterweight ;)

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
I left my gallbladder in a hospital on Monday and was released on Tuesday lunch time (meh, they kicked me out without lunch!). Weight from Wednesday onwards:

Sun: 63.0kg
----
Wed: 63.9kg
Thu: 63.6kg
Fri: 63.3kg
Sat: 63.0kg

I guess most of it is from a bit of swelling and holding a bit more onto water as they gave me hardly any iv fluid. Had hardly any food on Monday and Tuesday, eating fairly normal again since Thursday, with a strong urge to have at least two small packs of crisps. Of course I give in :D . Just found this interesting.

Basically the old mantra: it's just swelling/water weight. Ommmm... :D

Replies

• ducatiroche
    ducatiroche Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1 litre of water weighs around a kilo... Most people drink that much in a morning.
  • yirara
    Options
    1 litre of water weighs around a kilo... Most people drink that much in a morning.

Exactly. Actually, I first need a huge mug of tea in the morning before I do anything. Mind you, I was desperately short of tea at hospital.
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I left my gallbladder in a hospital on Monday and was released on Tuesday lunch time (meh, they kicked me out without lunch!).

You got out of a hospital before lunchtime? I mean, you're obviously not in the US but here you spend half the day just waiting to get released. Steroids could increase your water retention, or other things from the surgery. Heal up well!

• yirara
    Options
    gottswald wrote: »
    I left my gallbladder in a hospital on Monday and was released on Tuesday lunch time (meh, they kicked me out without lunch!).

You got out of a hospital before lunchtime? I mean, you're obviously not in the US but here you spend half the day just waiting to get released. Steroids could increase your water retention, or other things from the surgery. Heal up well!

Yeah, apparently it's normal to be released after breakfast but the doctors doing the round were a bit delayed and couldn't sign the papers. I didn't get steroids. Is that normal in the US? I just got panodil (it's the standard painkiller here :D ) and another painkiller that precents inflammations.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Yeah, apparently it's normal to be released after breakfast but the doctors doing the round were a bit delayed and couldn't sign the papers. I didn't get steroids. Is that normal in the US? I just got panodil (it's the standard painkiller here :D ) and another painkiller that precents inflammations.

Yes, it is normal. I had my GB out at the same time I had a hiatal hernia repaired and never received steroids, just painkillers. I was supposed to be released mid-morning but the nurses had a couple of crises in my wing so I got to sit there for 3 hours (with the empty IV still attached) waiting to be discharged. The Dr. signed the papers but the nurses still needed to remove the IV.
  • gottswald
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've had steroids (in hospital, not at home) post-surgery for both my adult surgeries that included hospital overnight stay. Though the last one they advised while I was still not aware. My blood pressure crashed the last one though, the pumped me full of fluids and then vasopressors. Combined with the facial bone work for 6.5hrs, I swelled to comic proportions despite the steroids. Both surgeries were on my head so maybe that's why, I'm no doctor. It was fun to show my regular medical people pictures though because I had become an office oddity and their reactions were priceless. It's actually what got me over my discomfort with pictures. Somewhat. As you can tell, not completely.
  • yirara
    Options
    Yikes @gottswald that sounds terrible! Big hugs to you!

Dutch hospitals tend to be very minimal on everything I guess, and if you dare to ask for anything you'll get a very stern look from the nurse. The anaesthesia was absolutely cool though as I hallucinated big time on fentanyl. I don't think the anaesthesiologist had that in mind when he ask if I was ready to get stoned. :D But he did grin big time upon my WHOAAA!
  • gottswald
    Options
    @yirara You remember that stuff? I remember getting onto the table and then waking up. For each surgery, including ones I didn't spend the night in the hospital, it is up to being on the table and then waking up.

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of when I was taken into hospital 300 miles from home for appendicitis. I was in Aberystwyth with my daughter for a University Open Day (except we never actually made it to that!).

Nothing to eat or drink for 4 days post surgery then about a ladle full of Leek Soup (it’s Wales, after all 😂) before they let me go to be driven 300 miles home on the 5th day.

I was desperate to get on the scales when I got home but could have cried when I did. I’d put on 6lbs 😢. IV fluids, I’m surprised I wasn’t leaking out of my pores they’d been pushing so much through me!
  • yirara
    Options
    @yirara You remember that stuff? I remember getting onto the table and then waking up. For each surgery, including ones I didn't spend the night in the hospital, it is up to being on the table and then waking up.

Oh yeah, totally! I also managed to count to 8 once they started with the anesthetic, which was also a rather funny feeling. I just don't remember waking up, which is fine with me. Only remember telling the nurse to get out of my dream. This was a dream after all and I was certainly not in hospital. Then removed the blanked to show her that there's no sign of surgery. Instead I showed her (and everyone else) that I was rather naked (apparently I was rather restless upon waking up) and had 4 small bandages on my tummy :D
  • yirara
    Options
    Reminds me of when I was taken into hospital 300 miles from home for appendicitis. I was in Aberystwyth with my daughter for a University Open Day (except we never actually made it to that!).

Nothing to eat or drink for 4 days post surgery then about a ladle full of Leek Soup (it’s Wales, after all 😂) before they let me go to be driven 300 miles home on the 5th day.

I was desperate to get on the scales when I got home but could have cried when I did. I’d put on 6lbs 😢. IV fluids, I’m surprised I wasn’t leaking out of my pores they’d been pushing so much through me!

Yikes! It's all just fluid *mantra* The leak soup made me laugh though. So typical. Hmm.. if it wasn't summer I'd like to cook a very well filled leak and tatty soup now.
  • gottswald
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Oh yeah, totally! I also managed to count to 8 once they started with the anesthetic, which was also a rather funny feeling. I just don't remember waking up, which is fine with me. Only remember telling the nurse to get out of my dream. This was a dream after all and I was certainly not in hospital. Then removed the blanked to show her that there's no sign of surgery. Instead I showed her (and everyone else) that I was rather naked (apparently I was rather restless upon waking up) and had 4 small bandages on my tummy :D

You have to hear the strangest stuff being a nurse in the recovery room. This last time they told me I was up and talking a few hours ago... no memory of that. They gave me Cream of Wheat as my first real meal the second day, I ate it every morning for 6mo after. Careful with that leek soup.
  • yirara
    edited August 2019
    Options

You have to hear the strangest stuff being a nurse in the recovery room. This last time they told me I was up and talking a few hours ago... no memory of that. They gave me Cream of Wheat as my first real meal the second day, I ate it every morning for 6mo after. Careful with that leek soup.

Oh yes! Totally. I bet they keep a tally or play recovery room bingo: Hey, we got another 'I want to go home now' guy. Oh, over there is Mr. Pukey. Yep, got Mrs. Agressive. Bingo!

Btw, just removed my bandages: 100gr less :Do:)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options

I'm in the US. My laparoscopic gallbladder removal was outpatient surgery, in and out same day, surgical center not hospital at all.

I saw a 2.5 pound gain the day after surgery. 5 days later, 6.5 pound drop. I stayed in a calorie deficit (around 750 calories daily at the time), which was a Bad Plan. It would've been better to eat at/near maintenance for a few weeks.
  • yirara
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm in the US. My laparoscopic gallbladder removal was outpatient surgery, in and out same day, surgical center not hospital at all.

I saw a 2.5 pound gain the day after surgery. 5 days later, 6.5 pound drop. I stayed in a calorie deficit (around 750 calories daily at the time), which was a Bad Plan. It would've been better to eat at/near maintenance for a few weeks.

Yes, I think that's a good idea! I don't know how well I'm doing as I'm currently too erratic with counting, but with two small bags of crisps added to probably my usual food I'm sure I'm at or near maintenance.

I'm sure they would have kicked me out the same day if I had a Mr. Yirara at home. *looks around* nope, still no good-looking guy around. Bugger.
  • gottswald
    Options

I wasn't clear. I meant getting out of the hospital once you've been in a bed overnight takes a good part of the day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options

Yes, I think that's a good idea! I don't know how well I'm doing as I'm currently too erratic with counting, but with two small bags of crisps added to probably my usual food I'm sure I'm at or near maintenance.

I'm sure they would have kicked me out the same day if I had a Mr. Yirara at home. *looks around* nope, still no good-looking guy around. Bugger.

There's no Mr. AnnPT77 here (I'm a widow since a long time ago). And the surgical center makes you have a driver who brings you to the surgery, stays onsite for the whole time the prep/surgery/post is going on (hours!), then takes you home. I can't recall whether they were also formally tasked with watching me for hours at home because of anaesthesia after-effects, but I always pop out of sedation quickly with no bad effects, so I would've ignored that part if they had.

I think this "onsite driver" thing is pretty obnoxious, for those of us who lack the common family support people. Thankfully, I have some kind friends, including some other single women with whom I exchange big favors like this.

I wasn't clear. I meant getting out of the hospital once you've been in a bed overnight takes a good part of the day.

I'm sorry; I understood you, but wasn't clear in what I wrote. I said what I did because I was more surprised to hear that people stayed in the hospital for this particular procedure; I figured that for us in the US it was probably generally outpatient unless there are complicating health conditions.